Music For a While (2018)

PerfumerCarlos Benaim
SupplierIFF
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Music For a While

Music For a While is a shared / unisex perfume by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2018 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Carlos Benaim

Music For a While fragrance notes

Reviews of Music For a While

This latest offering from Malle is an interesting combination of lavender and pineapple. The gourmand aspect like jam roly-poly has a slumberhouse type richness (as in Sadanne) and the patchouli seems to blend in well. Overall effect similar to Trance and Rausch from Schwarzlose (see my reviews)
08th December, 2018 (last edited: 09th December, 2018)
Big lavender, more herbal than floral, with a strong dirty (like actual dirt on the ground, not anything animalic) aspect. The pineapple is a clever sweetener, but kind of disappears on my skin, where Music For A While is reduced to just a ton of lavender and that's about it. I know Frederick Malle and his perfumers put a lot of effort into creating best-in-class perfumes, so I've given Music a few tries, but I just don't get what the big deal is. Perhaps they're using some sort of brand new captive lavender molecule that's a big deal in the trade but doesn't really translate to the consumer.

For a good straightforward modern lavender fougere, I'd suggest Lancome's Lavande Trianon, which plays its lavender against subtle cinnamon and chocolate to much better effect.
07th August, 2018
The combination of pineapple and lavender sounded just wrong but I am glad I sampled this. It smells deliciously like lavender and pineapple in the opening and feels nearly overwhelming with the initial sprays.

It tones down rather soon and the herbal edge of lavender sweetens down with that delicious burnt sugar aspect you sometimes get with lavender. Pineapple is also very much present, and luckily it does not display too sharp or tart edges but is naturally sweet and juicy. After the first three hours if fades to almost skin scent so delicious I had to keep sniffing my shoulders for the rest of the day. Patchouli gives some warmth but does not hassle much with the pineapple-lavender duet.

Verdict: surprisingly good if you like gourmandish lavender. Projection might be a problem, and put me off from splurging on a bottle. I could consider a travel spray, though.
02nd August, 2018
Sweet, fruity and fresh in the opening. Later the drydown becomes powdery and heavy but still plenty of fruity-sweetness. Projects really well, especially in the drydown. The whole drydown reminds me of 1 Million, for the heavy-sweetness mixed with the powderiness, plus this thing really performs like 1 Million. Not the same scent but that's just the feel this reminds me of.

This is truly unisex to the point that this smells like bath products or scented home products to me. Not in a bad or artificial way but it just doesn't take a traditional gender path either way.

Not sure about the occasion but this seems like a cold-weather scent to me.

Big projection and lasts all day on my skin.

25th July, 2018
An approachable fragrance from a mostly standoffish house.

Opens with a burst of juicy pineapple before the lavender appears. I tend to avoid sweet fragrances but this is never saccharine or harsh. The fruit serves as a counterpoint to the herbaceousness of the lavender while warmth from patchouli bridges the two. It's a nice balancing act although I wish the lavender was more pronounced on my skin.

Ultimately, MFAW is not to my taste but it wears well in the summer and the pineapple is surprizingly refreshing on a sultry day. Good longevity and projection.
02nd June, 2018
Ordered the bottle from New York boutique. Got the box, opened the box, and Wow! "What is that?!?"

Sliding out the inner box, I got a huge blast of this very unique and beautiful fragrance. I immediately was excited and thought, "What a relief," blind buys don't always pan out. I thought "Imagine if this is just the dry-down..."

Then I sprayed myself down. Probably 5-10 sprays went on just like that, and then it hit me. oh no.

My initial impressions were not at all the same. This is some really loud juice.

I went outside, and then out for a walk with my dogs, and the entire time I was starting to regret it. I almost didn't like it, but yet I did. I have enough fragrances to know that some have many chapters, some have very little change, while others play their trump cards right at the start and are over. Patience is good, because that beautiful dry-down I smelled coming from the box came back in full force, but not for a good 30-45 minutes.

I can honestly say that I adore this fragrance, but the opening is very abrasive. Then this becomes a breeze of curious and unexpected, with a hint of memorable. Like a smoldering, sweet and fruity smokeless fire, that is somehow fresh!!

You decide!

Frederic Malle Editions De Parfums Music For A While Sample Vial 0.04oz/1.2ml

End Date: Tuesday Jan-8-2019 15:37:27 PST
Buy It Now for only: $13.99

Member images of Music For a While

There are no member images of Music For a While yet. Why not be the first?