Music For a While (2018)

PerfumerCarlos Benaim
SupplierIFF
Parent CompanyEstee Lauder Companies

About Music For a While

Music For a While is a shared / unisex perfume by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle. The scent was launched in 2018 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Carlos Benaim

Music For a While fragrance notes

Reviews of Music For a While

Good lavender note up front. Interesting to combine it with pineapple -- not quite sure about that combination but it cashes in on the pineapple craze started by Creed Aventus. Sugary notes give a rather cookie/foody aspect which I am not really enamoured with. Fruity notes bubble in the background. Bit of leather from the patchouli. This is OK, but really not my style. Gets quite buzzy in the dry down.
11th June, 2019 (last edited: 12th June, 2019)
This latest offering from Malle is an interesting and rather captivating combination of lavender and pineapple.

The gourmand aspect like jam roly-poly has a Slumberhouse type richness (as in Sadanne). Overall deep, fresh, sweet effect not dissimilar to Trance and Rausch from Schwarzlose (see my reviews). I think the Malle perfume is probably more masculine than Trance but inevitably these things are very subjective.

On a personal level the fragrance took me back to the 1960's and a masculine fragrance called Champion produced by a well known German supply house. In perfumery, there is nothing new under the sun!
08th December, 2018 (last edited: 11th June, 2019)
Big lavender, more herbal than floral, with a strong dirty (like actual dirt on the ground, not anything animalic) aspect. The pineapple is a clever sweetener, but kind of disappears on my skin, where Music For A While is reduced to just a ton of lavender and that's about it. I know Frederick Malle and his perfumers put a lot of effort into creating best-in-class perfumes, so I've given Music a few tries, but I just don't get what the big deal is. Perhaps they're using some sort of brand new captive lavender molecule that's a big deal in the trade but doesn't really translate to the consumer.

For a good straightforward modern lavender fougere, I'd suggest Lancome's Lavande Trianon, which plays its lavender against subtle cinnamon and chocolate to much better effect.
07th August, 2018
The combination of pineapple and lavender sounded just wrong but I am glad I sampled this. It smells deliciously like lavender and pineapple in the opening and feels nearly overwhelming with the initial sprays.

It tones down rather soon and the herbal edge of lavender sweetens down with that delicious burnt sugar aspect you sometimes get with lavender. Pineapple is also very much present, and luckily it does not display too sharp or tart edges but is naturally sweet and juicy. After the first three hours if fades to almost skin scent so delicious I had to keep sniffing my shoulders for the rest of the day. Patchouli gives some warmth but does not hassle much with the pineapple-lavender duet.

Verdict: surprisingly good if you like gourmandish lavender. Projection might be a problem, and put me off from splurging on a bottle. I could consider a travel spray, though.
02nd August, 2018
Sweet, fruity and fresh in the opening. Later the drydown becomes powdery and heavy but still plenty of fruity-sweetness. Projects really well, especially in the drydown. The whole drydown reminds me of 1 Million, for the heavy-sweetness mixed with the powderiness, plus this thing really performs like 1 Million. Not the same scent but that's just the feel this reminds me of.

This is truly unisex to the point that this smells like bath products or scented home products to me. Not in a bad or artificial way but it just doesn't take a traditional gender path either way.

Not sure about the occasion but this seems like a cold-weather scent to me.

Big projection and lasts all day on my skin.

25th July, 2018
An approachable fragrance from a mostly standoffish house.

Opens with a burst of juicy pineapple before the lavender appears. I tend to avoid sweet fragrances but this is never saccharine or harsh. The fruit serves as a counterpoint to the herbaceousness of the lavender while warmth from patchouli bridges the two. It's a nice balancing act although I wish the lavender was more pronounced on my skin.

Ultimately, MFAW is not to my taste but it wears well in the summer and the pineapple is surprizingly refreshing on a sultry day. Good longevity and projection.
02nd June, 2018

Add your review of Music For a While

Shop for Music For a While products online

Frederic Malle Music For A While Editions De Parfum 1.7oz New (NOBOX)

End Date: Tuesday Feb-25-2020 8:09:03 PST

Editions De Parfums Frederic Malle sample vials sold individually - you select

End Date: Thursday Mar-12-2020 5:14:06 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $10.49
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Frederic Malle Music For A While Editions De Parfum 3.4oz New NO BOX + Free Ship

End Date: Friday Mar-13-2020 13:02:32 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $239.89
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Frederic Malle Music For A While Editions De Parfum 1.7oz New NO BOX + Free Ship

End Date: Friday Mar-13-2020 13:06:01 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $160.45

Frederic Malle Editions De Parfums Samples: Carnal Flower, Musc Ravegeur, +MORE

End Date: Monday Mar-16-2020 10:18:25 PDT
Buy It Now for only: $7.95

Member images of Music For a While

There are no member images of Music For a While yet. Why not be the first?