Artisan Pure (2017)

PerfumerRodrigo Flores-Roux
Parent CompanyRevlon Inc > Elizabeth Arden Inc

About Artisan Pure

The company say:

John Varvatos Artisan Pure is inspired by the verdant and lush hills of Xalapa, Mexico and its vast coffee and citrus groves. Redolent, luxurious citrus notes bring an understated elegance to modern, sun-warmed woods. The fragrance is a crisp, woody citrus scent, as refined as it is cool. Highlighted are three distinct types of petitgrains, which use all elements of the citrus tree: leaves, branches and tender fruit; as well as the best quality of orris.

Reviews of Artisan Pure

Has anyone sprayed CK One on one wrist and Artisan Pure on the other and compared the 2 scents?
Eerily similar to my old nose.

25th October, 2019
Another Artisan flanker, here we go!

This opens up with a lemon and orange citrus blast that's reminiscent of the same initial blast that you get with Colonia by Acqua di Parma (1916). With Colonia, you're on a short timer counting down to when that citrusy blast starts to fade, and we're talking a matter of minutes. Artisan Pure seems to be able to capture those scents and keep them around for a while. What gives this a really nice touch is the orris and jasmine, providing a soft floral bed for those bright citrus notes, which in AdP's Colonia, have an almost irritating effect at first. It definitely smells synthetic, but in a very tasteful way.

This is a very bright, soapy citrus -- yet another of the "high-end hotel soap" fragrances -- but this is definitely done right. It's very clean-smelling and is perfect for warm weather wear. As it dries down, the citrus becomes muted and what remains is a woody base with some citrus and floral remnants, but it will stick around for a while. This has surprisingly good projection and longevity.

Rodrigo Flores-Roux has really created some gems under the John Varvatos name, and Artisan Pure deserves to sit in that pantheon of well-crafted scents. I have a few Varvatos fragrances that I own and enjoy, and after wearing this, I'm pretty sure that I'll be adding Artisan Pure to my collection -- especially since it is relatively inexpensive. My previous comments should be emblematic as to why I'm giving this a thumbs up. A very, very nice designer fragrance.

18th June, 2019 (last edited: 26th June, 2019)
I initially dismissed Artisan Pure. It was a "pure" scent to the point of being boring, similar to the simplistic 4711 (or TF Neroli Portofino).

I gave this one a second go-around, and my opinion completely changed. I still got a very fresh, hot weather-friendly opening, again, similar to 4711.

Then it gets reminiscent of Artisan Acqua, herbal but not as bitter. It's a little more mature at this point, kind of keeping in line with the rest of the JV line.

Then it gets to this third phase where it becomes smoother, softer, and more modern.

It's rare when I encounter a fragrance where I like all of its stages equally.
This is my new favorite in the line, and probably the best all-around fragrance from the house of John Varvatos.
22nd April, 2019
What a shame. At first this appears a fresh lemony blast without that awful sweetness and barbershopiness of other similar scents such as G Eof Trumper Cologne. Is this a cheap version of D R Harris Windsor which itself is lovely and fresh but disappears in a wisp of disappointment after 20 minutes? No it smells like those lemon anti mosquito tablets or something similar. Puts me right off. Such a shame.

Fragrance: 6/20
Longevity: 6.75/10
Projection: 7/10
06th March, 2019
I really like this cologne. I went through a 4.2 of Artisan and its longevity problems drove me not to buy another. But I'm fond of the creativity that comes out of House Varvatos so I bought this one blind.

Seriously. This fragrance is marvelous. It has a bright and bitter citrus opening that reminds me of neroli but is noticeably different.

In the drydown I find a deep, woody note and a jasmine note that delicately dance with one another without overpowering one another.

The notes listed on Varvatos fragrances always make me laugh; there are far too many to count, and they always seem really embellished. I feel like I'm looking at a brunch menu.

Here's what you need to know: it smells good, it's somehow both a fresh aquatic and a complex and masculine oriental.

I'm in my office wearing chinos, a chambray, and a pair of beaten leather shoes. And I'm wearing this. It's a great pairing. I get a good 5-6 hours out of it which, for a Varvatos fragrance, is outstanding. Objectively? It's OK.

You can wear this to the beach, on a date, on casual Friday. Avoid wearing it with a suit. There are better fragrances to choose for close encounters.

Scent: 8/10

Longevity: 5/10

Sillage: 6/10

10th July, 2018
Reminds me of a sharper version of Voyage d'Hermes. I did a side by side spray on skin comparison. Voyage d'Hermes comes across softer/smoother/more refined/less synthetic. Voyage d'Hermes also seemed to have more depth and the dry down was better. I do like Artisan Pure though. The sharpness is likely from the citrus in Artisan Pure that Voyage d'Hermes lacks. The similarity I guess is from the angelica/cedar. When I purchase Artisan Pure I will see how different the two wear over a longer period of time.
02nd May, 2018

Buy It Now for only: $5.00

Buy It Now for only: $5.50

Buy It Now for only: $6.50
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

New Artisian Pure, Gentleman,Wanted, Vince Camuto, or Versace U Pick, !

End Date: Thursday Jan-30-2020 7:44:34 PST

John Varvatos ARTISAN PURE- SAMPLE 2ml 3ml 5ml 10ml 15ml 30ml Glass Sprayer

End Date: Thursday Jan-30-2020 20:31:07 PST
Buy It Now for only: $8.99

Member images of Artisan Pure

There are no member images of Artisan Pure yet. Why not be the first?