Speed Smelling 2017 Postmodern Collection : Fanny Bal (2018)
by IFF

PerfumerFanny Bal
SupplierIFF

About Speed Smelling 2017 Postmodern Collection : Fanny Bal

The company say:

The company say: The perfumers of IFF thrive on creative challenges. This is what inspired Speed Smelling™, a scented variation on speed dating. 14 perfumers have less than 7 minutes to seduce the most exacting of juries: the best fragrance editors and bloggers in France. This 2017 Speed Smelling Postmodern collection uses irony, a characteristic of the post-modern movement, breaking codes to better reconstruct them, and for the IFF perfumers to freely exercise their talents as olfactory artists.

Speed Smelling 2017 Postmodern Collection : Fanny Bal fragrance notes

Reviews of Speed Smelling 2017 Postmodern Collection : Fanny Bal

Immediately upon application, it reminds me of Slumberhouse Pear + Olive, with that oily-sweet "nosefeel". It reminds me somewhat of salted/buttered popcorn (kettlecorn, perhaps), with a coconut flair.

The popcorn-butter element fades and it starts reminding me more of a spiced-coconut pastry, with a dark-syrupy undertone I can't quite place. It fades in this general zone, staying gourmand/amber, pleasant and easygoing.

An entertaining and creative scent! The base is fairly typical, but I like the salty-sweet top.
07th January, 2019
The very first moment of Fanny Bal's creation for 2017 Speed Smelling is reminiscent of the warm, fatty smell of butter, or more precisely, an ingredient pretty close to the top notes of Serge Lutens Jeux de Peau and Kyse Douceur Brûlée.

Within seconds, a dusty, bitter cacao soon chimes in. The combined effect does strongly remind me of Nutella! Not only is there the obvious creamy milky chocolate taste, but also the deliciously nutty yet rich and oily flavour of hazelnut.

This Nutella phase generally starts to fade within 20 minutes. The fragrance first turns into a standard boozy plum amber during 3 hours, with occasional teases of faint peppery spiciness as well as a mineral nuance I associate with ambroxan. It then becomes a comforting, milky vanilla skin scent for the remainder of the fragrance. The resinous, slighty spicy labdanum, along with the woody, leathery, rum-like and tobacco tonalities of vanilla, grows slightly stronger towards the end. But overall they're still quite faint, and the fragrance maintains its tender and cozy nature.

The sillage is moderate at first, and quickly remains close to skin, although the longevity can easily reach 10 hours.

According to the accompanying booklet, Fanny Bal intends to update historical amber bases such as Ambre 83 to modern taste by attempting a gourmand interpretation, which I find overall successful. The vivid Nutella opening act is very impressive, with flavour and texture and all, and the later stage indeed feels coherent to the modern taste preferring a more streamlined style, although not without subtle intrigues. Even though it's intended as a base and can feel a bit simplistic as a fragrance, I would not be surprised if it becomes popular among gourmand fans with the right marketing strategy.
30th October, 2018 (last edited: 19th November, 2018)
Upon initial spray I get this big, bready accord that is full of cocoa and hazelnut. It is very sweet and the scent almost sticks in the back of your throat with this odd chalkiness. As it opens, it just continues to get sweeter and and the vanilla aspects start to show up, but that’s really about it with this fragrance. In the end you’re left with an amber-ish, benzoin/vanilla. That’s it. I mean I’m not opposed to gourmands, but I’d rather not smell like a chocolate/hazelnut babka...even though the one I immediately think of is the delicious offering that City Bakery makes with Nutella here in Manhattan. Now THAT is a must try!
13th September, 2018
Stardate 20180612:

Gag inducing top. If I was not late for work I would have scrubbed it off. Synth Choco Hazelnut. Really bad.
But within 10 minutes that stench dissipates and all you get is text book amber and some ylang.
Really boring. It seems some AC from IFF were just slapped together.
Monkey on typewriter would do better

7 Minute Review:

Since these were meant to be 7 minute fragrances, I have revised it a bit.
Went really easy on the spray. Much more bearable. The development happens in 10 min from choco hazelnut to amber. Not bad if you underapply and only limit it to 10 mins
12th June, 2018 (last edited: 25th June, 2018)
Opens with a chewy cocao, and yes ground hazelnuts. the combination does remind me of Nutella. It turns a bit powdery fairly quickly for me and vanilla weaves in. Something resinous enters, I get a slightly rubbery labdanum. It's as if an eraser were erasing the cocoa. I get a dusting of the resin over the vanilla. Then something like a sweet or candied wood comes in while the dry herbal resin remains. I realized the candied wood reminded me of fig. The card on this fragrance claims some floral notes and other elements that I could not catch here...possibly just my lack of nasal sophistication. Regardless of that, this was quite nice! I could easily see wearing this.
17th May, 2018

Add your review of Speed Smelling 2017 Postmodern Collection : Fanny Bal

Shop for Speed Smelling 2017 Postmodern Collection : Fanny Bal products online

Member images of Speed Smelling 2017 Postmodern Collection : Fanny Bal

There are no member images of Speed Smelling 2017 Postmodern Collection : Fanny Bal yet. Why not be the first?