Alien Man (2018)

Year of Launch2018

HouseThierry Mugler
Parent CompanyGroupe Clarins

About Alien Man

Alien Man is a masculine fragrance by Thierry Mugler. The scent was launched in 2018

Alien Man fragrance notes

Reviews of Alien Man

If this fragrance is so mainstream and boring, why is it that I, as someone who has quite a wide-ranging and varied collection filled with challenging, left-field niche favorites, find myself wearing Alien Man every other day in the week since it arrived? I ordered it “blind” with low expectations given the ho-hum reception it’s received online. Fair enough. Can I understand why people are let down, given Mugler’s history of challenging, idiosyncratic, and cheeky compositions? Yes, of course. Alien Man is in no sense ostentatious. It’s not loud, it’s not brash, it doesn’t make a big statement. But, what it manages to be in a way that is rare, is simultaneously easy-going and broadly appealing without being insipid, cheap, or trite. Alien Man is not particularly alien in the sense of being weird. However, it does play with a sense of texture and aura, a sort of electricity, that draws on another connotation of “alien.” As others have mentioned, it opens with a somewhat rich, anise-touched bracingness, notably lacking obvious citrus, the effect of which, aided by birch smokiness, is like a low-level electrical current has been turned on. The fragrance hums. As it develops, it turns toward a slightly synthetic lavender-esque quality which I fear is a bit of dihydromyrcenol, though used sparingly enough that this may be the first composition where I can stand that completely overused aromachemical. Along with this cheerful “well groomed” note, a somewhat leathery, somewhat creamy amber woods warms up, never shouting, and developing into a sensual “warm skin” glow which lasts, very pleasantly, for many hours more. The effect is somewhat like static electricity. Where other, more cynical mass-market compositions would lean heavily on a cheap woody-amber base, or dud out after a showy opening, Alien Man keeps its integrity and affable sensibility throughout, neither offending nor caving to crassness. There’s something so appealingly reliable about this sort of composition — never a bad choice, will not betray you with an easy out — that it does indeed become addictive, something to reach for happily. There’s no need to put this up against fragrances designed to make a statement; that’s not what Alien Man does. But put up against other appeals to a wide market, and its smart take on approachability is the way to go. Even the most rarified, esoteric collection needs something like this, for all those days where the aim isn’t a shout, but a smart sport coat and an easy smile. I’ve started seeing Alien Man as more about an attitude or atmosphere than a classically-structured fragrance. Honestly, if it weren’t taken by Mugler’s other new flagship, Aura would have been an even better name. Approach it that way, it it all makes much more sense.
14th October, 2018 (last edited: 13th October, 2018)
I did not like it.

Tries to hard to be relevant, combining hints of A Men, Alien and a ubiquitous laundry musk.

No confidence, no direction.
15th September, 2018
I kid you not...for many years, I'd see the Alien perfume for ladies and wonder, "Will Thierry Mugler ever make a version for men?"

And here it is in 2018 (I take no credit, LOL). I just got a sample today and will share my impressions of it:

Initial spray hits me with a bunch of memories of "Amber" by L'Occitane, so smooth and mildly spicy and relaxing. Patchouli is quite evident as well. A very woody presence is there too, as if it's sandalwood or some other precious wood - maybe cedar? Fragments of leather do seem to arise as well, along with wisps of aniseed.

The effect I get of Alien Man: A dry, aromatic amber and wood oriental scent, accented by spices. It doesn't resemble the "A*Men" myriad of flankers, save for the patchouli-centered ones (i.e. Kryptomint, Pure Shot, and Ice*Men). It is sweeter and lasts a good while.

And incidentally, I can't really confirm if some of the notes listed above (e.g. dill and osmanthus) are truly present or not. But overall, I appreciate what I DO recognize as a fresh, amber-y frangrance unlike most of the men's scents in Thierry Mugler's collection.
09th August, 2018
Kaern Show all reviews
I imagine Bowie smelling of this in The Man Who Fell To Earth.

A leather floral? -- plus some crazy smelling amber in the base.

It has facets of Alien Woman all over it also.

I love it but have yet to wear it in public.
02nd August, 2018
It's one of those fragrances that you bought without having tried a sample, but as I had a box of the Angel Man on sale in France, to recharge them, I also had the very latest Alien Man come. When we put on the skin, at the beginning the top notes can not distinguish very well, because my nose is lousy and seem to be very faint and soft, almost indistinct (unlike the Angel Men where you have initial notes very affirmative and after 15 minutes there is no longer any trace). Well, I'm still testing, but everything indicates that this fragrance has an extended duration with those chemical scents that stick to the skin for a long time, seems to be the trend of the moment. I almost preferred it not to be this way and it would last a little less time, but more pleasant and not so artificial, I say, but I expect more analysis from other users to validate or not my first contact.I think I will most likely use this fragrance to accentuate or alter the structure of other fragrances (as I do sometimes with Santal Royal from Guerlain who despite having those chemical notes is much much better balanced than this one or others like the new Bulgarian Man Black ) - Well, let us wait and use another day or two and see what happens.But I think my worst fears are confirmed - after the initial phase the perfume that remains is almost completely dominated by the strong chemical aroma, smoke / leather / wood type, I can not really tell but it is not very pleasant.
25th July, 2018 (last edited: 26th July, 2018)
Hello everyone, im New Here on basenotes so this is my very first review Here... I own Alien Man since its release Here in germany. So after almost 2 months of wearing it daily i can tell its very good fragrance indeed. Its my wife's favorite on me and i do own bunch of other fragrances most of them "crowd pleasers"...i would describe Alien man as herbal aromatic with some animalic facets on the drydown... It is nothing New, mainstream...but it have some uniqnues to it considering designer releases od late... I cannot precicely put my finger on some other designer scent thats smell the same. Longevity on me is good 8 hours +... projection is moderate but detectable within arms lenght for the first 2-3 hours then it sits closer to skin.
Final rating: 8/10
Weirdly appealing...
02nd July, 2018 (last edited: 04th July, 2018)

Add your review of Alien Man

Pick A Cologne Oil/Perfume Oil 2oz Plastic Bottle Scents .Listings # P-V

End Date: Sunday Dec-30-2018 9:43:23 PST
Buy It Now for only: $18.49
Buy It Now | Add to watch list

Mugler Alien Man Eau de Toilette sample spray vial 1.2 ml New 2018 Release!

End Date: Monday Jan-7-2019 1:01:52 PST
Buy It Now for only: $9.49

Member images of Alien Man

There are no member images of Alien Man yet. Why not be the first?