Bonheur (2018)

HouseBortnikoff
PerfumerDimitry Bortnikoff

About Bonheur

The company say:

Bonheur is an aromatic chypre made when a minty and crispy bergamot is spiced up with cool cardamom. Green forest, ice, and cool air. Green and mossy heart notes of Indian vetiver and oakmoss are slowly introduced, and a touch of spices and precious, genuine ambergris with rare violet leaf extract form a solid backbone for the heart notes. Woody, resinous and aromatic combination of cedarwood, labdanum, and vanilla resides at the base providing a lasting power and totally warm feeling for the wearer.

Bonheur fragrance notes

Reviews of Bonheur

This is a very expensive way to smell of Cardamon sugar and vetiver.
Smelling it through my shirt, It reminds me of some really delicious cookies that my grandmother used to make.
It is a lovely smell?
Do I want to smell like this?
Could a lady pull this off?
Maybe.
11th January, 2020
My favorite (so far) of the Bortnikoff offerings, Bonheur opens with the vivid burst of florals (Frangipani/Champaca) that so easily identify this house among its peers. Something about this opening always reminds me of Hubba Bubba chewing gum, though in a Bonheur itís less overwhelming than it is in Coup de Foudre.

Mint weaves itís way through the floral opening and into the heart, though this may be more an illusion created through violet leaf, cloves and vanilla, working in tandem, than any actual camphor/pine/mint ingredients.

It isnít until the vetiver, oakmoss and ambergris begin to mix with Tonka bean and labdanum, late in its heart, that I go from liking to loving this fragrance, as Iím happy enough to smell Magnolia and Frangipani but I donít want to be perfumed by them, myself. It may be that I am especially sensitive to these notes as most of the reviews that Iíve read seem more focused on the icy/forest/wood/grass notes and less on the mega-sweet florals that I pick up.

Either way, this is a clear win for me and Iíd buy a full bottle were it still available and not long sold out.
25th June, 2019
Airy and aromatic in equal measures, BONHEUR is an excellent composition showcasing the backlighting effect of ambergris on what is essentially a chypre oriental. There is a breezy-fresh almost marine-like undercurrent smoothing out the spikes from the spices and moderating the warmth of the tonka/vanilla base.

Projection is above average for the first hour or two but settles down fairly quickly to a polite yet noticeable presence thereafter. I get the occasional whiff as I go about my usual activity.

Overall I am impressed. Having had the pleasure of wearing ambergris compositions from Areej Le Dorť, Bortnikoffís BONHEUR is arguably the easiest to wear, comfortably positioned between the more aromatic Atlantic Ambergris and the sweeter Baikal Gris.
30th April, 2019
Smells like clove, cardamom, and zesty bergamot. Projection seemed fairly low, for about an hour and a half. Longevity moderate, skin scent for quite a while. It seems similar to Caron 3rd Man. I feel like if I wanted to smell this way regularly, I'd buy the Caron as it is cheaper. Nevertheless, I'm gonna go thumbs up here, since it smells good.
26th February, 2019
Similar to Areej Atlantic Ambergris, however this is much smoother, warmer. I have moved from the Rock and Icy Blue Sea Air to a dry,Seaside, Cedar-ed Warehouse where, some time ago, there was trade in Spice, Vanilla, Tobacco-d Coumarin and Incense.
The Balance of the Tonka initially reminded me of Vintage Old Spice, however the dry Cedar and Clove offer little sweetness to the mix. Marigold plays it's part in this and offers a Masculine rigidity.
Beautiful, Contemplative and eventually, Creamy Goodness.
12th August, 2018