Tyrannosaurus Rex (2018)

Year of Launch2018

HouseZoologist Perfumes
PerfumerAntonio Gardoni

About Tyrannosaurus Rex

Zoologist Tyrannosaurus Rex is a gargantuan scent that sinks its teeth into the world of delicate fragrances and rips it wide open. Primitive woods and florals seize you and snatch you away to an ancient era. Smoky, charred wood warns of the danger of smouldering fire, setting your senses on edge, while droplets of metallic rose oxide offer a chilling premonition of blood-lust. The mighty Tyrannosaurus Rex is sometimes menacing, sometimes fascinating, but never, ever ordinary.

Tyrannosaurus Rex fragrance notes

Reviews of Tyrannosaurus Rex

This king of beasts, which ruled the earth for millions of years, now finds expression in a fragrance. And what a king of fragrances this is, arresting and distinctive, you could not possibly mistake it for anything else.

The nearest approach might be Spiritus Land 2, from Miller and Bertaux. This is another favourite fragrance of mine which, like T. Rex, lets everyone know who is boss. T.Rex might be described as a full Technicolor version of the M&B creation, with an additional metallic edge.

There is a definite Russian Leather aspect and the smoky cade oil is clearly perceptible, but the fragrance is full bodied and clean smelling. In fact it is not so much a scent as a total sensation, as it enters your nose like a predator in search of a prey. All it finds in my case is some very appreciative olfactory receptors, signalling a positive experience to my humble human brain.

Definitely a fragrance which has grown on me and one which should stand the test of time.
03rd February, 2020
T-Rex is a beast of a fragrance. It will swallow you whole. The notes list doesn't look that unusual, but the effect produced is something else entirely.

They wanted to create the scent of a dense, hot jungle. Humid greenery, ripe indolic flowers? Check.
They wanted the scent of a giant, mauling its prey. Animal musks, blood accord? Check.
They wanted the scent of prehistoric chaos, lava and wildfires. Smoke, tar, burnt flesh? Check.

Everything they wanted to do they did, and I commend Zoologist for it. In a purely artistic sense this fragrance is a 5/5. It creates insane imagery. I could never wear this to work, but it has a special place as something for me to enjoy all to myself on the weekends.
19th January, 2020 (last edited: 02nd February, 2020)
An immediate blast of smoke and incense.

This scent hanging in the air right after spraying reminds me of the late 70s at Spencer's in the mall. I can almost see the black lights and psychadelic posters.

It's surprising how potent this is. Smelling my wrist now, I get more of a smoke and a rubber note, which is a little weird. An image of an abandoned desert parking lot comes to mind - maybe it's dust, gasoline and dried brush.

I'm confused, nervous, and I like it.

However, wearing T Rex is probably not conducive to computer programming.

I just asked my 5-year-old grandchild to give me her opinion. She sniffed thoughtfully, gave me a silent thumbs-up, and held up her own wrist for a spray. Interesting.

The drydown for me, hours and hours later, was beautiful, deep rose.
17th January, 2020 (last edited: 19th January, 2020)
You watched a movie once. One of those Fast & Furious flicks. At one point The Rock was barreling down a city street in a brand new Lincoln Town Car, being chased by bad guys in a deisel-powered semi. (Diesel fuel that is, not Vin Diesel.)

To get away, The Rock swerves and leaps out the car, doing an amazing roll on the sidewalk swiveling around and shooting his Uzi at the semi. The brand new Lincoln Town Car, however, is not so lucky, and careens over the sidewalk through the window of a flower shop, killing the proprietor and sending flowers everywhere. The bad guys, not being very smart, swerve to follow it and crash into it from behind, and the bullets flying from The Rock's Uzi hit their gas tank and blow them up in a grand fireball. The local fire department never show up because they're still busy dealing with the destruction in another part of town caused by the rest of the cast. An hour later the fires have pretty much gone out on their own, thankfully, and the quiet street is littered with hot metal, diesel fuel, and the contents of the flower shop, all permeated by the smoke.

Antonio Gardoni wanders through, and thinks, "good god, I should bottle this."

He does, and it's utterly magnificent.
25th October, 2019
Not for the faint hearted and probably one to avoid if you're going to be in close proximity to people for any length of time.

That said this scent is awesome.

It really does evoke smoldering volcanoes and prehistoric carnivores stalking through lush vegetation.

It doesn't garner many compliments and the wife hates it, but I find myself repeatedly sniffing at myself in wonder.

Longevity - 10 (still there after 2 days!)
Sillage - 10
Projection - 10
03rd July, 2019 (last edited: 04th July, 2019)
Powerful peppery leather to start with: primally aggressive on first spray. Someone needs to domesticate this T-Rex for the first 45 minutes, it's too assertive on release and the only notes I can detect are leather, smoke and pepper. Very prehistoric in the way it asserts itself.

The drydown becomes much more relaxed: I begin to detect sweetness in vanilla and jasmine, along with dark rose florals. It balances it out as the smoke dissipates and the leather begins to smooth out. It makes the overall fragrance a lot more pleasant and enjoyable to wear while it slowly dies out.

This is very, very masculine: hyper-aggressive and very strong and smokey. Not a rich smoke, but a pure one: like liquid smoke in a bottle. The scent of pure smoke seems to be the du jour lately, in products from lines such as Kerosene and Imaginary Authors. For me, I find it mostly off-putting and here I find it nearly abrasive with the other notes.

Projection is very strong and longevity is above average: 8 hours on my skin (2-3 with strong projection) and counting. It's certainly a daring scent, I wouldn't expect anything less from Zoologist. If you're a huge leather-smoke enthusiast, go for it. For me, it's just too much beast to handle for the first 1/3 of the wear.

6.5/10