Sixes & Sevens (2018)

AvailabilityIn Production / Limited Edition

HouseSlumberhouse
PerfumerJosh Lobb

About Sixes & Sevens

Sixes & Sevens is a shared / unisex perfume by Slumberhouse. The scent was launched in 2018 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Josh Lobb

Reviews of Sixes & Sevens

While many Slumberhouse fragrances are incredibly complex, consisting of many moving parts and shapeshifting tendencies, Sixes in comparison seems fairly dialed-in and focused, a fairly singular presentation of a warm, spicy sandalwood with cozy and comfortable animalic facets and a buttery, leathery texture. What immediately struck me about Sixes is its warmth--the sandalwood accord (which drives the heart of the fragrance) is ensconced in a very much living, warm-blooded musk, and such its presence is deep and rich, the olfactive equivalent of a fur coat or soft winter blanket. In my experience, Sixes avoids the more off-putting facets of animalics. While there's certainly a touch of funk among the musk, and the fragrances is literally pulsating with vibrant, living heat, the really sultry elements and strong barnyard components are, for the most part, absent. In turn, Sixes & Sevens is a comfortable and easy wear, and it feels like it could be appropriate in a variety of situations.

The sandalwood seems to be of a high quality. I find it has a buttery, luxurious texture, cloud-like at times though altogether very deep and present. One of the interesting things about Sixes is how the sandalwood develops, and over time it seems to become much drier and takes on a fiery intensity at times. I was also reminded of Gucci Pour Homme while wearing this. A smell similar to GPH's signature bold "pencil shavings" accord is at play here, perhaps even more waxy at times, but delivering much of the same dusty rawness as the original.

My experience with Sixes & Sevens so far has revolved around 2 interesting developments and changes that occur during its course: To begin, there is a curious element of heat in this composition. I find that Sixes begins with a very comforting human warmth, and that it persists in this for some time, but then it gradually becomes hotter as the composition becomes drier. The heat can get to very intense levels, almost as if a fire is occurring in its heart, and as the heat intensifies and really begins to cook, a smokey component joins the sandalwood which is now dry and desiccated. This transition regarding the heat occasionally goes back and forth. Things will seem to cool down for a moment only for the fire to catch again until everything's burning with a hot intensity. The other interesting development that I've already alluded to is the "dryness" of the wood. Though Sixes begins with a very cozy warmth, it's a deep, alive sort of feeling that's soft and reassuring. The sandalwood is creamy, waxy, and buttery. But once the heat kicks in, it's like it saps the composition of all of its moisture. The sandalwood becomes extremely desiccated (as does the fragrance in general) and we are left with heat and smoke, almost as if a forest has been burned to the ground and all that remains is scorched earth. And it still smells good.

I really enjoy this fragrance overall. I like the fact that it's dialed in. Everything works together seamlessly and all the parts seem to operate with a singular, unified purpose. The fragrance itself smells very nice. It's a great woody composition to wear in these colder months. It would be perfect for a cold December night around the fire, and it doesn't really contain any off-putting, controversial elements that could otherwise ruin the enjoyment of wearing it or turn other people off from wanting to be close to you. At the same time, it's an interesting, dynamic composition. I haven't smelled a sandalwood this good in a long time, and the animalic components, particularly the musk, lend a very luxurious and rich dimension to its quality. Before becoming fiery hot and bone-dry, Sixes feels like donning an expensive furl-lined leather jacket or some kind of alluring fur coat. Performance is just as it should be--slightly stronger than mid-range projection and stellar longevity. One of my favorite Slumberhouse releases in a while, hopefully Sixes & Sevens will see a second release at some point in the future. If it doesn't, I'm sure glad to have gotten a bottle while it was available.
11th November, 2018
This latest limited edition release from Slumberhouse, Sixes & Sevens, is, as many have said, not as boastful as their typically beastly and provocative dark juice. Josh Lobb's house does feature lighter and brighter options (consider Sadanne, Pear + Olive, Grev, and perhaps even Kiste) but what I've come to love the house for is its dark, potent, pungent offerings that I tend to adore for their performance and appropriateness in winter (i.e. Norne, Ore, Jeke, Zahd, Sova).

Sixes & Sevens mainly smells of leather and resins (benzoin, frankincense), with hints of castoreum, orris, cumin, sandalwood, and oud each adding some intrigue. Among these background players, castoreum is what I notice most, though it's used in such restrained quantity as to not jeopardize the prominence of leather being the principal accord and resins being the backup singers.

As some have reported, and I now concur, the fragrance is a bit less daring and significantly less intense, in terms of performance, than most of the Slumberhouse catalog to date, and that's not to say that that wasn't wholly Josh's intention. In this respect, it's a departure from the norm, perhaps allowing for a more agreeable, more versatile option that can be enjoyed on more occasions throughout more seasons.

I get only modest projection for the opening hour, and it becomes a skin scent, albeit steadily so, within a couple hours of applying. Certainly it still feels comparably as strong as other niche wintery offerings, but its contrast to other dark juices in the house is palpable, performance-wise.

The elephant in the room, though, is the pricing, $200 for 30ml (contra the usual $160 for 30ml) with an additional option of $500 for 100ml, of which all bottles of both sizes sold out almost immediately anyway, meaning that it can only be obtained via the secondary market at predictably-inflated pricing. Given the diminished performance of the juice, Sixes & Sevens is a tougher sell at its retail pricing, limited edition status notwithstanding.

In conclusion, Sixes & Seven is good, perhaps very good, and if I'd gotten in on blind buying a bottle via the house directly (I would've opted for a 30ml for $200), I would keep it and enjoy it, but I'm not all that inclined to track it down for $200 (or realistically, much more) given that it does not push the envelope like most of the fragrances in the catalog, and though these fragrances set perhaps an unrealistically high bar to keep reaching over and over again, it's the selling point for the juice: powerful, provocative potions, pardon the alliteration.

7 out of 10
31st October, 2018
Stardate 20181012:

My first Slumberhouse. I had high expectations with this one. So when I sprayed it Yesterday (the day when we all got our bottles) I was elated. The top is the best. Incense+animalics+sweet resins. Loved it.
But into the heart phase the cumin note became way too prominent for me. Since this was not consensus here I sprayed a few more spritzes to get rid of juice in the tube. Now I find it much more balanced. The top that I liked continues throughout. The cumin is there but in background. For those who did not like it the first time I would recommend trying it a couple more times before making up your mind.
There is a hint of oud at the back which is hidden up top by incense and cumin. I suppose the cumin-oud-musk combo can be called leather (Dior's Leather Oud).
To me it is predominantly an incense+cumin+resin fragrance.

What I like the most here is the balance and blending. Very unlike his others (Norne,Baque, Sova) I sampled.
Bottomline: Great fragrance. A bit too pricey. 4 stars