Hyde (2018)

Year of Launch2018

HouseHiram Green
PerfumerHiram Green

About Hyde

Hiram Green’s latest perfume Hyde is a sensual and addictively mesmerising leather-themed fragrance.

Hyde fragrance notes

Reviews of Hyde

Oh boy. I like them tall, dark, and handsome just as much as the next gay, but this is too much. From the vial (vile?), all I got was BBQ, meaty and sticky with sauce. I’ve finally been brave enough to apply it to my skin (just a little, back of the hand), and it thankfully does mellow—yellow florals, the softness of the labdanum, and a hint of vanilla. But like I’ve been tending the grill all afternoon, that tarry, acrid woodsmoke is there to stay.

Hiram Green does impressive things with naturals—I completely see Hyde in line with Slowdive, which I adore. Unfortunately, Hyde does not garner as much appreciation from me. For those looking to cultivate that elegant pitmaster vibe, you’ve found your fragrance. The rest of us—even the smoke lovers amongst us—should only proceed with an abundance of caution.
29th March, 2019
Holy Cow, this is a monster! If you like DARK scents, you need to try Hyde. As mentioned below, it is as beastly as T Rex. I like dark thick scents, but even I can’t handle this. There’s a chewing tobacco smell that rears it’s head too.
20th February, 2019
I would never wear or buy this, BUT, I still think it's a fantastic scent. It's deeply smokey with capitals D and S, and reminds me of the most intriguing parts of Fumerie Turque (back before it was reformulated). The only reason I wouldn't indulge in this myself is the same reason I never bought the Lutens: it feels a bit overwhelming and monolithic. For those of you who desire to smell like last night's campfire into which a few marshmallows have fallen, this is your baby. I like this far more than the Goodsir smoke scent or frankly, any other smokey scent I've tried. There's something genuinely attractive here, especially in its opening salvo. Would love to smell this on a sophisticated someone of either gender.
29th January, 2019
If I’d tried something as smoky as HYDE 10 years ago I’d have scrubbed it off within minutes. The birch tar opening is pitch black, tarry and acrid, quickly overwhelming whatever hesperidic topnotes this fragrance may have in the beginning. Do not spray this at the office!

At this juncture I couldn’t help but compare it to another smoky beast - Zoologist’ T-Rex with its savage roar of an opening. Objectively speaking HYDE is the tamer creature. And where T-Rex rampaged on to an interesting ashy floral phase, HYDE mellows down more conventionally, bedding to a comfortably warm vanilla and leathery labdanum.

What_? That’s it?? To be honest my expectations were a little higher to begin with. Blame it on the over-the-moon reviews it’s gotten thus far. Mind you, HYDE isn’t bad, it IS good. But it tramples on old grounds, plays like a B-grade movie with the edgy opening act, a conventional storyline and an ending you could spot from a mile away. Running time seems to be on the shorter side too. The whole experience made me miss Ambre Noir from Sonoma Scent Studio even more.

Perhaps it’s better for me to switch channels and look for the real beast...
26th January, 2019
Very nice balance between the smoky birch tar and the sweeter balsamic notes. Brings to mind both Lapsang Souchong tea and Russisch Leder (Farina Gegenuber), a fragrance that I remember from the 1970's. However I prefer Hyde to the latter. This is a really good Russian Leather with great complexity of character and will no doubt get a following.
27th December, 2018 (last edited: 28th December, 2018)

Add your review of Hyde

Shop for Hyde products online

Member images of Hyde

There are no member images of Hyde yet. Why not be the first?