Derviche (2018)

Year of Launch2018

HouseRogue Perfumery
PerfumerManuel Cross

About Derviche

Derviche is a shared / unisex perfume by Rogue Perfumery. The scent was launched in 2018 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Manuel Cross

Reviews of Derviche

Imagine if Hypnotic Poison gave up working as a stripper, went back to school, got her law degree, and bought herself a wardrobe by Prada.

Then you wouldn't be afraid to take her home to meet your parents.

28th November, 2019
Whirling Dirvish, indeed! Images of middle eastern or near-far eastern markets filled with dark, rich scents, colors, and sounds. Resinous. Deep. Heady. Sultry aromas here. I am particularly drawn to the labdanum, olibanum, and musky, sensual, animalic things. Soft, floral, vanilla things. New, soft leather. Unisex, leaning better towards feminine, in an adventurous way.
Finely crafted, smells so Real, without all the crap out there these days (I am Not being a snob here). This, is one of the finest "oriental-style" fragrances I have experienced in many years.
There is a vague forest-like and, cherry candy thick accord, going on here later. It. Just. Gets. Better. Always resinous and smooth.
More of a candied amber accord with time. Well done!!
03rd September, 2019
For me this is primarily a sweet tobacco scent, very reminiscent of Dusita's Issara, with its sheer, fresh yet earthy, hay-like sweetness. There's a minty note up top, which, combined with the animalic notes of musk & civet beneath, reminds me of the construction of Kouros, being both fresh & dirty at the same time, although the overall scent is quite different. I get a touch of leather, & then the vanilla sweetness begins to build, until two hours in the tobacco has faded & the base is powdery amber with a hint of heliotrope. The projection is low on me, from the three hour mark it's very soft indeed, & five hours in it's pretty much gone.
I don't detect any floral notes here, & while there is a passing resemblance to Ambre Narguile, this one isn't quite as gourmand to my nose. It is my kind of oriental though, & definitely my favourite from this house, although I'd prefer greater projection & longevity. I think perhaps spraying would show it off to fuller advantage, but as I tried it as part of a sample pass, I didn't want to risk using up too much of the little dabber vial.
19th June, 2019
ROGUE – DERVICHE (2018)

A very sweet fruity opening, which reminds me of Angel, supported by an almond-scented moth ball accord. Suddenly, it is Christmas and I am shopping in a small shop filled with candy, the ones that have tiny lights strewn through the rafters and a tinkling bell poised above the door entrance, something out of a black and white MGM film from the 1930s.

This is a gourmand scent, most reminiscent of Turkish delight or Marzipan. Vanilla and almond prevail, derived no doubt from the sweet notes of labdanum-cistus and saffron. I don’t perceive any of the other notes in the tree. One would have thought that the base notes of olibanum, sandalwood, tobacco and civet would have grounded it thoroughly in a warm incense-wood accord, but not to my nose.

Secondarily, it annoys me that so many trees proclaim “leather” as a note, when it doesn’t exist on its own, but has to be created as an impression by combining other notes such as orris, ambergris and castor.

Overall, this is a sweet, gourmand scent, unoriginal as it derives from Angel and its vast offspring, and thus receiving from me a neutral rating. Not good, not bad, just derivative of so many other Angel flankers out there.
09th May, 2019
Kotori Show all reviews
Derviche opens as a blast of grape koolaid-style jasmine with touches of cherry Luden’s drops and a drop of almond extract. It’s slightly mentholated like fruit-flavored gum made by a company that specializes in mint gum. It smells “red” in the same way that Sarassins smells “purple.” Eventually the red jasmine koolaid dies down enough to recognize that the cherry note is a pipe tobacco note. It’s at this point that the fragrance and I can get on on friendlier terms. Definitely tobacco and jasmine with some spicy amber providing the supports. The total effect is a bit like Dr. Pepper.

Two hours later, this shape shifter is all Ambre Narguile! What a surprise. I actually kind of love this.
06th February, 2019
This is the first scent that deviates from the previous 4 (scents in Rouge Perfumery) in which it doesn’t focus on chyrpe or green notes.

The opening begins with some sparkling bergamot before it recedes giving way to some tobacco and of course the labdanum. The amber accord is not as dark and resinous as I was expecting it to be but it’s not super sweet either. Floral jasmine is met with a sugary amber vaniila accord at the base. In addition, I was able to detect woods and musk in the base. The drydown makes me think of Hermessence Ambre Narguile but it’s not exactly the same. A very nice scent overall.

Longevity and silage were good although not as bold as Mousse Illuminee or Le Canotier. I think this is perfect for the individuals who enjoy both amber and jasmine. The jasmine does have a dated feel and definitely it worked in harmony to complement the amber/vanilla accord at the base.
13th January, 2019