Tabac Vert (2018)

Year of Launch2018

HouseRogue Perfumery
PerfumerManuel Cross

About Tabac Vert

Tabac Vert is a shared / unisex perfume by Rogue Perfumery. The scent was launched in 2018 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Manuel Cross

Reviews of Tabac Vert

It's like walking into a head shop, slash, tobacconist in the late 70's. I'm thinking of a particular establishment I once frequented long ago. All kinds of lovely odors mingling together. It was a place that didn't prescribe to constant, cheap incense sticks lit up for demonstration.
Deep, rich, heady, natural, earth and forest and manly aromas. Every note here is melded. Yet another fragrance I would love on my man, while snuggling his neck. I enjoy wearing it, as well!
The tobacco has a somewhat vague, herbal quality. Wintery, autumnal, woodsy-cabin-in-the-mountain feel. Light smoke. Freshly, ground pepper.
After time it has a faint reminder of hot, summer days spent at the drag races, in a strange way. The smell of a funny car or rail's tires, as they burned the outer layer of rubber down, spinning them, to gain more traction before taking off down the quarter mile track. A combo of hot rubber, heat, fuel, and asphalt. I know this seems strange but, this phase of this fragrance gives me these memories. It's all good!
Later, darkish, non-honeyed amber tones, cedar in a smoked mode, and exotic sandalwood round this up - last and last. A mighty thumbs up.
26th August, 2019
This has a very "vintage masculine" & slightly "turned" feel. The opening is dominated by bergamot, followed by pepper & cedar, laid over a syrupy amber & giving rise to an immortelle-like note, although it isn't listed. Something petrochemical swiftly emerges, a little like turpentine. One hour in, all of these notes have faded, & a pronounced mossy note emerges, along with labdanum or ambergris. It all turns powdery at this point, & after two hours settles very close to the skin. I get just a trace of soapy sandalwood eight hours in as the fragrance fades out, but strangely, no tobacco at any point!
This has been compared to Creed's Vintage Tabarome, but although the two share some aspects, they don't smell all that similar to me. Thought of in terms of colour, this one is a yellowy green, whereas VT is more of a golden brown. What they do have in common, however, is a total absence of tobacco, at least on my skin. My preferred choice between the two would be VT, as the feel of this one is rather sombre, & it's definitely not my style.
19th June, 2019
Very nice old school fragrance. Tobacco leaves, pepper and sandalwood are the order of the day. Not properly my style much still very nice.
18th June, 2019
Rogue – Tabac Vert (2018)

A light (very light) combo of green tobacco leaves and cedar. I am most reminded of the cedar boxes that cigars used to be stored in when purchased at tobacconists. The amber and the sandalwood seem to be there only to reinforce the cedar and give a roundness to the blend.

The tobacco has no darkness, no depth, so I am confused that so many of the Basenotes reviewers here refer back to Tabarome, which for me was a dark, acrid, harsh tobacco scent. This merely hints at tobacco, focusing all of its attention on the cedar and sandalwood.

I might have liked this more if there had been more depth, more gravitas, but it is too light and evanescent to appeal to my love of tobacco. I suppose that works in the modern world and does allow this to be considered unisex, whereas a powerful statement would be solely intended for masculine wearers.

I think it is very decent, but not terribly interesting, hence the neutral review.
08th May, 2019
Tabac Vert comes across as a straightforward mossy, green tobacco scent that interprets fresh, green, leafy tobacco. It is aromatic (but not herbal), dry, austere and crisp; I don't notice any embellishment, and any note of amber or sandalwood in the dry down (or any stage) doesn't register with me. It is pretty linear on my skin, with very close projection (I'd prefer at least a bit more oomph) and moderate longevity of about six hours based on a generous application. Surprisingly, I get gentle wafts of it if I move about.

Tabac Vert isn't adequately engaging due to a few shortcomings; I find the composition to be too bare, and I feel it is missing some notes. I've tried Mousse Illuminee from the same perfumer, and that one comes across as a proper, finished work with adequate depth and dimension. I prefer the accord and scent profile of Tabac Vert, and would have loved a 3D version of this scent, with stronger sillage and perhaps more notes such as leather, sandalwood, labdanum, musk or even a herb or two (I'm thinking basil or clary sage).

On the other hand, there are a few things I find very refreshing about Rogue Perfumery (based on Tabac Vert and Mousse Illuminee). Focus on substance rather than PR/marketing/'concept'; a style closer to traditional perfumery than synth/hyper-modern/AI driven compositions; perfectly legible and wearable perfumes rather than unwearable concoctions that seem to plague the artisanal/indie segment; finally, fair and inclusive rather than exclusive pricing.

29th March, 2019
Alright...

Tabac Vert and Vintage Tabarome

Upon application (TV on L, VT on R), these two smell quite a bit alike.

This is the first time I have ever smelled VT (THANK YOU!!!!) and knowing I could be headed for heartbreak (completely unaffordable), I was grateful for what could be a cheaper alternative...

But as they both developed, differences emerged - where-as the TV was in my mind Spring Green, VT was more Golden. Now, I get that my description is somewhat unusual, but I often think in color and texture. Plus, I'm not sure I can actually ADD to everyone's impressions - they are all so spot-on...but I digress.

TV was really the winner until the dry-down - and VT won. I mean, it REALLY smelled amazing - and I was not really in the "mood" for a warm, amber scent, but it was truly elegant. Don't get me wrong - the TV was still lovely, but it smelled to me more "dry". It was not bad, but I needed some moisture in the dry-down, and VT gave it.

Over-all, if you love VT, and cannot afford the crazy eBay pricing, TV is an excellent substitute. I would possibly consider TV FBW based on quality, scent and price. I would definitely buy a decant.
28th February, 2019