Dodo (2019)

Year of Launch2019

HouseZoologist Perfumes
PerfumerJoseph DeLapp

About Dodo

The sun sparkled across rippling waves, its morning dance upon the Indian Ocean rousing the dodos from their carefree slumber. Stumbling drunkenly from their nests, the birds waddled through the sea of luscious ferns that carpeted the forest floor, to feast on fat, ripe berries. For generations, the island paradise of Mauritius nurtured the dodos, its predator-free and bountiful shores lulling them into a state of such complacency that even their wings grew idle, and flight was lost – even to memory. Ultimately their evolution would betray them cruelly, but while it lasted, the dodos enjoyed an existence marked by ease and comfort.

Zoologist Dodo opens with an invigorating burst of tart lime and juicy berries, inviting you to venture deep into a forest dense with vibrant ferns. Delicate fiddleheads unfurl to reveal tendrils of feathery musk, as rosy florals float up to embrace them. Dodo is a paradox. Like those extinct inhabitants of Mauritius, the scent is at once classic and iconic, yet eerily unknowable and endlessly fascinating. The ideal fougère for those with an eclectic sensibility who crave a life of leisure and contentment.

Dodo fragrance notes

Reviews of Dodo

"A peculiar fougere" is a good way to describe Dodo. It isn't swamped with soapyness or oakmoss. Instead, it combines fruityness (primarily lychee), ocean air (ambergris) and fresh greenery (fern / fir / geranium). You can tell it hearkens to the fougere style, but it is so much more than that. I don't like fougeres all that much, personally. But I like Dodo.

I don't get the feathery musks all that much, which is probably a good thing. But I really like the imagery here, the windswept island, coated in ferns, with lots of fresh lychee berries. My wrists tend to push greener and more fougere like, whereas my chest tends to stay fruitier. The longevity isn't the best, it doesn't project after the first two hours and starts to sit close to the skin. But it still chugs along as a pleasant skin scent for a good while. Not my favorite of the line so far (that title still belongs to Chameleon for now) but I definitely like this one.
17th January, 2020
Green and outdoorsy. Fresh cut fern smell. A lime, like a barber-shop lime accord. The green turns sideways somehow. It's odd, like an ancient jungle... Some slight oceanic note. Pine air freshener smell; stomped-on flower petals. The almost vegetal personality goes on and on. Aromatic? Surely yes.

A light base, with more green, earthy things. Somewhat aquatic, too. Swamp water. Patchouli, sandalwood, and oakmoss are blurry. I call this one a "darkish, yellow-green" overall. Refreshing. I like it a lot.
25th July, 2019 (last edited: 24th July, 2019)

No. Wrong. Its a fougere... in the air. Super harsh up close. Moth bally, bug sprayish, wet rat nest smell over fruity salt or something. Also the first fragrance to make something twing in my head and give me a headache about 10 minutes in. By far my least favorite Zoologist to date. Good lasting power, as per Zoologists MO, but little evolution. Smells fairly linear to my nose.
13th June, 2019
A musky-fruit (lemon and lime, raspberry) combination for the first few minutes. This is a very nontraditional foguere, exactly what I'd expect from the Zoologist line. Rich, sweet at first but it's balanced out by the woodsy-oak base. Bears some (a lot?) of resemblance to Hummingbird-not quite as floral or as dark as Hummingbird, and more green than Hummingbird, but there are similarities in their composition. Rose and patchouli darken the notes out as a whole as the frag matures. This really shines as it begins to dry down...holy hell: I can picture myself on vacation, lying on a beach with lush fruit all around. The density that was there on initial sprays grows as it reaches its middle stages. The raspberry disappears a bit more but the lime stays steady and strong, adding a lovely tartness to the scent throughout until it dies down.

Projection is above average, longevity is very good. Complex, almost mysterious in its cacophony of notes: it's so well blended I hope this never goes extinct. I swore I wasn't going to buy another full bottle for awhile, I have so many unworn scents but this so, so good I can't avoid it with spring coming up.

9.5/10