De Toma à Zouma (2019)

Year of Launch2019

HouseMotif Olfactif
PerfumerOswald Pare

About De Toma à Zouma

De Toma à Zouma is a shared / unisex perfume by Motif Olfactif. The scent was launched in 2019 and the fragrance was created by perfumer Oswald Pare

De Toma à Zouma fragrance notes

Reviews of De Toma à Zouma

On my skim I'm pushing something very, very animalic, but that's my weird skin, so I'll discount the and describe the best that I can.

This scent is freshly ground coffee beans, complimented by the warm, gourmand notes of cardamom, nutmeg, cocoa, and vanilla. It's like a coffee chai! Benzoin is also very prominent for me, it adds a brisk, sharp note, a nice contrast to the gourmand notes.
07th May, 2020
De Toma a Zouma is my first try from the recently-purchased sample set from the new Motif Olfactif line launched by perfumer/owner Oswald Pare, YouTube’s Mr. Oz.

Inspired by Oswald’s childhood memories, De Toma a Zouma features coffee heavily but with support from cardamom, cocoa, vanilla, tonka, benzoin, nutmeg, and cedar. It’s coffee-dominant but with a very healthy helping of cardamom.

The opening for me has an almost super-spicy, licorice-like sharpness to it, but this quickly fades away and gives way to the coffee, first and foremost, and the cardamom, as a supporting piece, with some of the creamy, sweetening elements in the background. De Toma a Zouma has an excellent balance in the dry down to the point that I can enjoy the coffee and cardamom clearly but neither is overwhelming and the sweetness is still detectable, a really harmonious mix. It’s just vanilla and benzoin; the accents of tonka and nutmeg are impressive in restraining the overall blend from leaning too creamy.

Kerosene Follow might be my very favorite coffee-dominant fragrance, and it’s largely what I recommend to fans of coffee in fragrance (like me), because the coffee aspect of it is big and dark, though Follow similarly incorporates a lot of amber and vanilla to sweeten the pot. So Follow incorporates both extremes in balance. By contrast, De Toma a Zouma doesn’t seem to be extreme in any sense, but has a restrained balance that makes it a bit subtler, albeit still rich and fairly dense.

Additionally, I’d be remiss not to note that while I’m sure there are scores of coffee/cardamom fragrances, some no doubt inspired by beverages of that ilk, perhaps more popular elsewhere in the rest of the world than the US, De Toma a Zouma does remind me of one in particular that I smelled and purchased relatively recently, Café Noir by DSH Perfumes. There are some differences, though, but both are enjoyable, coffee/cardamom-dominant fragrances that are both sweet and spicy, so I’d certainly recommend looking into the other if you’ve tried one or generally like the sound of one.

De Toma a Zouma may not be a cup of coffee that I’d drink, but I enjoy it is both a near wholly-gourmand and environmental experience. I enjoy its smell in the way that I enjoy the smell of coffee, even if it’s not specifically a cup of coffee that I’d drink. It does not project loudly beyond a couple of hours but has a strong aroma near the skin that has not faded at all, which is generally what I’m looking for, anyway.

In EDP concentration, De Toma a Zouma is priced at $130 for 50ml bottle and is surely now on my list to buy. The ingredients feel high-quality and I’m looking forward to having this in my collection someday. It’s definitely among the best coffee scents I’ve ever tried and is a neat blend overall. I look forward to trying the rest of my sample pack, too.

8 out of 10
06th February, 2020

Add your review of De Toma à Zouma

Shop for De Toma à Zouma products online

Member images of De Toma à Zouma

There are no member images of De Toma à Zouma yet. Why not be the first?