Levant (2020)

Year of Launch2020

HouseOrmonde Jayne

About Levant

Celebrating the 20th anniversary of Ormonde Jayne:

La Route de Soie, a new collection of seven perfumes, will celebrate the past two decades using original ingredients from Ormonde Jayne's repertoire as well as new ones inspired by the Silk Route.

Levant fragrance notes

Reviews of Levant

After a neutral paper test, I gave this a proper wearing today. I found the opening unpleasant and damp-smelling. I’m struggling to rectify the short notes list comprised of 4 florals with the wet, sour and vaguely citrus experience this scent delivers on my skin. I like a good challenge as much as any BN’er but I’m having a difficult time grasping the creator’s intent.
30th July, 2020
Interestingly, while Levant is billed as a fresh, citrusy floral bouquet, it doesn’t smell that floral to me, at least not at first. If I hadn’t seen the notes list, I would have pegged the fuzzy, mineralic opening as a mixture of vetiver, cashmeran, and citrus à la Terre d’Hermès. It smells like rain on hot pavement. This apparition might have something to do with the rubbery-peppery nuances of the materials used to build the peony accord used in perfumery (and also often by Ormonde Jayne). Or perhaps there is a bit of unlisted vetiver or cashmeran in the mix.

After a few minutes of this, the grey, quasi-industrial fog shifts to reveal a bittersweet orange blossom note that smells remarkably like those simple orange blossom waters the French buy by the liter to pour liberally into their babies’ bathwater. This tender floral note is sharpened by pepper and a curl of citrus peel, which, although billed as bergamot, smells more like rosy-leafy pink grapefruit to me. The notes I’d previously pegged as rubber or hot pavement now come across as a pleasant, low-key smokiness, almost as if there were such thing as an orange blossom water-flavored cigarette.

Levant doesn’t evolve much beyond this point, but maybe I’m laboring for meaning in a deliberately simple plot. In its bringing together of a simple, natural-smelling orange blossom water note with the clean twang of rubber-soled sneakers and a barely-there smudge of cigarette ash, Levant could be the haute luxe analog to Freeway (4061 Tuesdays), or the orange blossom version of Jasmin et Cigarette (État Libre d’Orange). All three perfumes perform the same trick of cutting white florals with soft-rubbery-ashy notes that provide just enough grit to render the scent fresh and urban rather than romantic or traditionally ‘femme’. But to be perfectly honest, not only do the 4061 Tuesdays and the État Libre d’Orange fragrances do it better, they do it for less money.
19th June, 2020

Add your review of Levant

Shop for Levant products online

Member images of Levant

There are no member images of Levant yet. Why not be the first?