An interview with The New York Times' new perfume critic,...
Edited on 10/26/10
- Chandler Burr launches 'Untitled' fragrance project with...Edited on 5/28/12
- Burr talks about fragrance as art [Video]Edited on 10/12/11
- New York's Museum of Art and Design to open dedicated...Edited on 12/8/10
- topicChandler Burr
Alphabetical Article List
Latest OpenSky/Burr scent to be revealed later today (12 Noon EST)
Chandler Burr will be revealing the latest fragrance in the OpenSky project at 12 noon EST today. The fragrance was available for sale at the start of the month, without consumers knowing what the fragrance was. Burr describes the fragrance, code-named S01E02 as follows:The verbs available for describing what works of olfactory art can do to you are myriad: they can coax (Flora), delight (Happy), alert (Terre), mesmerize (Eau de Lière) or caress (Coco Mademoiselle). They can (and I apologize for the grossly clichéd marketing term, but) seduce you (Samsara) in the very specific sense of approaching you with a sensual aesthetic as opposed to, say, chic (Candy) or elegance (Chanel N° 19) or whispering just outside the 120° visual span of the human eye (lEau dHiver).
The artist who created S01E02 is one of the most important commercial creative forces working today, an olfactory James Cameron in terms of grosses and profits. (He has made billions of dollars for the perfume industry, much more than Cameron will ever make for the movie industry.)
But he or she, of course also possesses a Cameron-esque imagination, one that is seldom let loose by commercial patrons. This patron, by contrast, had the balls to let their artist run wild, and E02 is in my opinion a work of wild, virtually magical artistry. Here is a creativity almost never seen. E02 does something few other scents can do: Force a sharp intake of breaththe jaw drops, the eyes narrowboth because of its deeply strange beauty and its deeply beautiful strangeness.
E02 is a work of olfactory science fiction. It is not merely the morphing of the eau fraîche into a 22nd century form (which would be feat enough), it is the scent of a plant, a lovely curling vine, in a garden built in outer space. It is the green scent of the plants delicate green tentacles and its graceful leaves in the precious, pressurized air circulating in cool post-metal tubes, a perfect equilibrium of the heartbreakingly natural and the mesmerizingly artificial.
E02s artist has given this plant no flower. He has referenced only the scent of its stem and leaf and tendril, the water that nourishes it, and the glowing capsule, whose marvelously synthetic sunlight protects it from the vacuum outside. (He has included the vacuum too, not its scent of coursespace has nonebut its weird phantom impact.)
Like other works Im going to include in The Untitled Series, E02, which has been on the market for years, is among the greatest of the below-the-radar great works Ive been lucky enough to come across. Its technical specs are excellent. Diffusion and structure are perfect. Persistence, given the many very light molecules I assume the artist worked with here, is admirably executed.
There is nothing else like this extraordinary futurist green that smells as if it were laced with oxygen, if oxygen had a smell. Wear it. Its not a perfume. Perfumes are things people notice. E02 is something people perceive.
And in video form:
Find out more here
- Chandler Burr launches 'Untitled' fragrance project with...
Currently, there are 599 Active Users (43 Members and 556 Guests)
- › Patou Pour Homme to be reissued? 3 minutes ago
- › SOTD: Saturday, May 18th, 2013 4 minutes ago
- › My opinion on l'Air du Desert Marocain has changed 5 minutes ago
- › What are you eating/drinking? 7 minutes ago
- › L'Homme samples - are these intended to be worn, or just sniffed? 8 minutes ago
- › Monster longevity and silage 12 minutes ago
- › Abercrombie associations 13 minutes ago
- › Free to a good home 17 minutes ago
- › Aventus batch numbers 21 minutes ago
- › Amouage sample pass - Men & Women (CONUS) 24 minutes ago
- › Aventus by Creed, 2010 by Marathon Alchemist
- › Vetiver by Guerlain, 1961 by Mrpleasent
- › Armani Code / Black Code by Giorgio Armani, 2004 by Marcos Oliveira
- › Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf, 2012 by Mrpleasent
- › Roadster by Cartier, 2008 by Jorge Aguilar
- › Allure Homme Sport by Chanel, 2004 by Oldspice
- › Indonesian Oud by Ermenegildo Zegna, 2012 by Lovescully
- › L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme by Issey Miyake, 1994 by Oldspice
- › Oud Stars : Zafar by Xerjoff, 2012 by tymanski
- › Violetta by Santa Maria Novella by Saintpaulia
- › UK FiFi Award winners 2013 by Grant
- › UK FiFi Awards tonight. by Grant
- › Groups Guidelines by Grant Osborne
- › Buy, Sell, Trade Rules by Grant Osborne
- › Following And Followers by Grant Osborne
- › Search And Advanced Search Tutorial by Grant Osborne
- › Tagging Tutorial by Grant Osborne
- › Add A New Item Tutorial by Grant Osborne
- › Image And Video Tutorial by Grant Osborne
- › Subscription Tutorial by Grant Osborne