Perfume: The Alchemy of Scent by Jean-Claude Ellena Review
Edited on 1/19/12
- Michael Edwards speaks about the latest Fragrance of the World book...Edited on 3/23/13
- New Book Le Snob: Perfume by Dariush Alavi due in OctoberEdited on 7/2/12
- "Three fragrances launches every day in 2011"...Edited on 12/11/11
- Michael Edwards launches Fragrances of the World 2011Edited on 2/21/11 More ›
Alphabetical Article List
Sanchez and Turin launch The Little Book of Perfumes later this month
Later this month, Luca Turin and Tania Sanchezs latest book, The Little Book of Perfumes, is released. According to the publishers, the book is "devoted purely to those fragrances that earned their highest praise, the masterpiece rating. Stunningly produced, this petite volume concentrates on ninety-six top fragrances and four legendary scents preserved only in the French museum of perfume, the Osmothèque."
They continue:While The Little Book of Perfumes celebrates such masterpieces of the perfumers art, it also sounds a warning: just as the four great historical perfumes described within are gone forever, the other ninety-six may be at risk too. Many perfumes are changing, some for the better but more often for the worse, due to negligence, penny-pinching, extraordinary regulatory decisions, misguided modernization and all the other shifts that can take your favorite perfume away from you forever.
So is your long-loved favorite still great? Turin and Sanchez weigh in on which classic perfumes are still worth hunting down, which new fragrances are destined to be remembered for years to come, which are better than ever and which seem on the decline. The Little Book of Perfumes is your guide to the beautiful, diverse, and controversial world of classic fragrances, before theyre gone forever.Penguin and Profile, our publishers in the US and UK, approached us with an idea for a derivative work: 100 Great Perfumes, taken entirely from reviews weve already written, save for a small number of new ones to bring the number up to a round 100, since if I recall correctly there were only 96 five-star reviews. This book, slender and adorable, would be for people who cannot bear to read us ragging on their poor deceased relatives favorite or for perfume shops and counters that would like to be able to sell such a book along with a nice perfume at Christmas, and who found the original too bitey.
We always thought, and still do think, that good things said about perfume mean absolutely nothing if you only ever say good things. Also, we thought it might be dull to read rave after rave without a palate cleanser. Yet we were assured an entirely positive tribute to the glorious art of perfume was in the making. On consideration, we saw an opportunity.
Sanchez adds "We considered doing [the original] Fougère Royale but both Penguin and Profile were resolutely against 101 fragrances, so it fell by the wayside."
The Little Book of Perfumes is available late October (US) and early November (UK). Basenotes will feature a review of the book shortly.
- Michael Edwards speaks about the latest Fragrance of the World book...
Currently, there are 483 Active Users (74 Members and 409 Guests)
- › something like polo blue 27 seconds ago
- › What does the word "BALMY" mean anyway? 1 minute ago
- › Mindless Alphabet Frag Naming Game ~ PART 5 1 minute ago
- › Drake song from upcoming album entitled "Tuscan Leather" 2 minutes ago
- › Old School SotD's 2 minutes ago
- › Question-Answer Game Part 6 2 minutes ago
- › SOTD: Wednesday, June 19th, 2013 2 minutes ago
- › Viktor & Rolf Flowerbomb - Real or Fake?!? 2 minutes ago
- › Fragrance for a first date, same-sex edition 3 minutes ago
- › The projection longevity thread 4 minutes ago
- › Bentley For Men Intense by Bentley, 2013 by drseid
- › Habit Rouge by Guerlain, 1965 by Ronaldtimmermann
- › Acqua Di Giò Essenza by Giorgio Armani, 2012 by nyguy
- › Indian Night Jasmine by Body Shop, 2012 by IsaIsabella
- › Dark Aoud by Montale, 2011 by seeminglytransparent
- › Set Sail St. Barts For Men by Tommy Bahama, 2007 by marcuslaughter
- › Set Sail Martinique For Men by Tommy Bahama, 2010 by marcuslaughter
- › Bulgari Man Extreme by Bulgari, 2013 by marcuslaughter
- › Lime Sec by Pinaud by marcuslaughter
- › Lilac Vegetal by Pinaud, 1880 by marcuslaughter
- › Aoud by M.Micallef celebrates its Tenth... by Judith Brockless
- › Dueto Parfums release new fragrance, Citiver by Judith Brockless
- › Guerlain ‘Les Parisiennes’... by Judith Brockless
- › Iris Prima: ‘The Spirit of the Ballet. ... by Judith Brockless
- › Pell Wall Releases 1953 Pour Homme and Eau de... by Judith Brockless
- › Serge Lutens by Grant
- › An Interview with Christopher Sheldrake -... by Grant
- › Aedes de Venustas launch Iris Nazarena next... by Grant
- › UK FiFi Award winners 2013 by Grant
- › UK FiFi Awards tonight. by Grant