The Shoe Fits - an interview with Thierry Wasser
Edited on 11/19/12
- Tea with ThierryEdited on 1/4/13
- Guerlain UK launch of La Petite Robe NoireEdited on 6/19/12
- An Audience With Jean-Paul Guerlain & Thierry Wasser - Guerlain...Edited on 11/11/10
- Guerlain ‘Les Parisiens' now available in HarrodsEdited on 6/11/13 More ›
Alphabetical Article List
Thierry Wasser on Mitsouko reformulation and IFRA regulations
Guerlain perfumer reveals all to award-winning writer Marian Bendeth, in an exclusive interview to be published next week. Wasser talks about his first few years as Guerlain; Sourcing ingredients in sustainable, ecologically correct ways; Shalimar Parfum Initial; his relationship with Jean-Paul Guerlain; Berluti shoes; Bloggers; the future of Guerlain; LVMH; and reformulating due to IFRA regulations.
Speaking about IFRA, Wasser told Bendeth:I have to follow the rules of IFRA which the European Commission uses as the basis of their legislation. I am required to follow them, as does the fragrance industry globally.You can read the rest of this fascinating interview next week on Basenotes, which features exclusive images, such as the one above showing Wasser in Calabria, Italy sniffing Jasmine Absolute.
IFRA recommendation #43 could have changed Mitsouko dramatically because of its regulation on oakmoss. My love for Mitsouko made me push the oakmoss supplier to get as close as possible to the original version without having the specific molecule which is not allowed by IFRA. I do have now a natural oakmoss which is IFRA approved.
Due to the IFRA regulations, there are some materials that I cant even purchase anymore! Even if I wanted to make a reconstitution of a vintage Guerlain in the way it was originally created, I cant find the raw materials! They are gone, the oil, the oil companies and growers are all long gone or discontinued.
You know, strictly for my own sake and education, I wanted to recompound Mitsouko, Shalimar, and LHeure Bleue in their original forms but getting the raw materials required was not easy.
I went to Calabria and asked a supplier to provide me with the raw bergamot oil before any processing and I would able to recompound those classics. I also sourced some Musk Ambrette down in India. You have no idea of the amount of time, energy and patience it takes to track down practically non-existent raw materials and suppliers just to have them for my own use and knowledge to use in trials. These are ingredients that IFRA has deemed illegal for release to the general public, so even if I wanted to release a vintage version of a Guerlain fragrance, we cannot do so because of legislation.
- Tea with Thierry
Currently, there are 466 Active Users (52 Members and 414 Guests)
- › SotD: Wednesday 19th June, '13 1 minute ago
- › Quick! Give Me Designer Sample Recommendations! 1 minute ago
- › Is the SOTD feature coming back? 2 minutes ago
- › What does the word "BALMY" mean anyway? 3 minutes ago
- › Learning smells: the science 3 minutes ago
- › Nail Polish of the Day 3 minutes ago
- › montale direct ordering? 4 minutes ago
- › Favorite orange based cologne? 5 minutes ago
- › Fragrance for a first date, same-sex edition 6 minutes ago
- › Where is the list of my reviews? 6 minutes ago
- › Bentley For Men Intense by Bentley, 2013 by drseid
- › Habit Rouge by Guerlain, 1965 by Ronaldtimmermann
- › Acqua Di Giò Essenza by Giorgio Armani, 2012 by nyguy
- › Indian Night Jasmine by Body Shop, 2012 by IsaIsabella
- › Dark Aoud by Montale, 2011 by seeminglytransparent
- › Set Sail St. Barts For Men by Tommy Bahama, 2007 by marcuslaughter
- › Set Sail Martinique For Men by Tommy Bahama, 2010 by marcuslaughter
- › Bulgari Man Extreme by Bulgari, 2013 by marcuslaughter
- › Lime Sec by Pinaud by marcuslaughter
- › Lilac Vegetal by Pinaud, 1880 by marcuslaughter
- › Aoud by M.Micallef celebrates its Tenth... by Judith Brockless
- › Dueto Parfums release new fragrance, Citiver by Judith Brockless
- › Guerlain ‘Les Parisiennes’... by Judith Brockless
- › Iris Prima: ‘The Spirit of the Ballet. ... by Judith Brockless
- › Pell Wall Releases 1953 Pour Homme and Eau de... by Judith Brockless
- › Serge Lutens by Grant
- › An Interview with Christopher Sheldrake -... by Grant
- › Aedes de Venustas launch Iris Nazarena next... by Grant
- › UK FiFi Award winners 2013 by Grant
- › UK FiFi Awards tonight. by Grant