Natural Perfumer JoAnne Bassett launches Esoterica
Edited on 9/29/11
- Natural Perfumer's Guild holding membership drive - with 20%...Edited on 11/9/10
- Alec Lawless appears as The Victorian Perfumer on BBC TV and...Edited on 8/11/10
- Ayala Moriel launch new scent to help save Bloedel Floral...
Alphabetical Article List
Two New Fragrance Releases from Mandy Aftel
California-based writer and natural perfumer, Mandy Aftel, has launched two new fragrances - one contains real animal extracts. The second, a solid perfume, is inspired by a vampire!
Secret Garden was created as a result of the 'Letters to A Fellow Perfumer' series on Nathan Branch's blog. The perfume was inspired by the 1910 novel by Frances Hodgson Burnett about a young girl who herself blossoms after she discovers a barren secret garden and brings it back to life.
Described as an 'exotic floral experience' by the company, it includes two historical animal essences: very old civet bought from a retired perfumer and castoreum tinctured from the beaver. Roses, wood and 'mixed citrus' are listed as notes, as well as jasmine sambac at the heart of the perfume - a "spicy indolic kick, paired with the jammy raspberry". Secret Garden is available in a 1/4 oz. bottle ($150), a 30 ml EDP spray ($150), a 2 ml Mini bottle ($45), and a sample size ($6)
Oud Luban, a solid perfume, takes its inspiration from Theophile Gautier's story about a priest who falls in love with the vampire Clarimonde, described as "a story of extremes: austerity and opulence; sin and holiness; carnality and abstinence". Aftel says that Luban (the Urdu word for frankincense) contains a blend of eight different varieties of oud.
Oud Luban is a perfume of highs and lows, with no middle notes according to the company. It's ingredient list includes: citrus top notes of hojari frankincense, sweet incense, elemi and luban, vanilla, benzoin, opopanax, and aged patchouli. This perfume is said to be effective when layered with florals.
Oud Luban is available in a sterling silver case holding 1/4 oz. of solid perfume ($210) and 1 ml sample ($6) . Both fragrances available from www.aftelier.com
- Natural Perfumer's Guild holding membership drive - with 20%...
Currently, there are 755 Active Users (71 Members and 684 Guests)
- › Summer Scent thoughts 1 minute ago
- › Mugler Pure Havane tester - wrong item (Pure Coffee) delivered.... 3 minutes ago
- › 3.4oz DHI and 2.5oz creed Bois du Portugal 40% 3 minutes ago
- › SOTD: Monday, May 20, 2013 5 minutes ago
- › Master List of Things to Fix on Basenotes 7 minutes ago
- › Going back to 1 (one) fragrance 7 minutes ago
- › Not getting email notifications of new posts... 10 minutes ago
- › New to the board, wish to create FO's for aroma market 11 minutes ago
- › SOTD Monday May 20, 2013 13 minutes ago
- › I don't like the reviews fading to nothing with the choice to "Show... 14 minutes ago
- › Revillon Pour Homme by Révillon, 1977 by rbaker
- › Derby by Guerlain, 1985 by JackTwist
- › Silver Jeans Homme by Roccobarocco, 1995 by littleprince
- › Bois D'Ascèse by Naomi Goodsir, 2012 by jtd
- › Lacoste Challenge by Lacoste, 2009 by OCNBreeze7
- › Original Penguin Reserve by Original Penguin, 2013 by thines01
- › Versace L'Homme by Versace, 1984 by kodepop
- › Arabian Nights by J del Pozo, 2010 by mlsweeney
- › Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein, 2002 by conkhi
- › Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler, 2007 by conkhi
- › UK FiFi Award winners 2013 by Grant
- › UK FiFi Awards tonight. by Grant
- › Groups Guidelines by Grant Osborne
- › Buy, Sell, Trade Rules by Grant Osborne
- › Following And Followers by Grant Osborne
- › Search And Advanced Search Tutorial by Grant Osborne
- › Tagging Tutorial by Grant Osborne
- › Add A New Item Tutorial by Grant Osborne
- › Image And Video Tutorial by Grant Osborne
- › Subscription Tutorial by Grant Osborne