Mona di Orio on latest Les Nombres d'Or scents, and her older...
Edited on 12/11/11
- Video Interview: Burr on Every Bottle of Perfume Contains a WorldEdited on 9/14/12
- A Tribute : Mona di Orio: 1969 - 2011Edited on 1/11/12
- I Want To Make People Dream - An Interview With Mona Di OrioEdited on 8/10/11
- Mona di Orio talks about her creation process and forthcoming...Edited on 11/15/10 More ›
Alphabetical Article List
We speak with Jeroen Oude Sogtoen of Mona di Orio Parfums [News from Pitti]Basenotes talked to Mona di Orio Parfums co-founder, Jeroen Oude Sogtoen about their latest release Rose Etoile de Hollande and future of the company.
How did the release of Etoile de Hollande come about?
It was one of Monas first studies with Edmond Roudnitska, he picked that particular rose that was planted outside of his office and said study this. He told her 'you can never reproduce nature, if you could, you would be God, but you can try'.
She worked on it for years, but we never had an immediate need to use it. We werent thinking of introducing a rose because we were working on Patchouli and also on Tonka and lots of other things before she died.
To be honest we were so afraid of the rose its so easy to get it wrong, to make it old fashioned or boring almost, but last year she said Im ready. Its interesting because now I find that Rose is everywhere now, lots of people are bring out rose perfumes, its as if theres a romanticism everywhere.
Of course lots of men are also wearing Etoile de Hollande. Theres nothing wrong with that. In the Middle East men put rose oil on their skins.
What plans do you have for the future?
I was travelling in the Mediterranean on a beautifully made yatch one summer, when Mona was still alive, and I was so inspired by capturing the feeling of the wind and the water, that sensation. I called her and said that I wanted to capture that. But how do you do it?
We have a new perfume coming out but I dont know how to describe it. I hate the term aquatic its very airy, open and refreshing though. Its got juniper berries, pepper. Its really a cologne because Mona very much wanted to add a cologne to the collection. It should be available early next year, perhaps in spring.
What about the old line? Are there any plans to reintroduce these perfumes?
We are going to, but we want to get it right. As an artist you grow and learn, so when you look back at something you can make small changes. She polished three of them already, only very small changes, just like polishing something. In others, like Jabu the concentration was quite high, its better to do it a little bit lower. So we are only tweaking a little bit.
For these I am going to use different bottles. It will be more expensive but its for those who want it and really appreciate it.
Mona made a special perfume just for you, do you have any plans to release that?
Its called Passion and Im thinking about releasing it. She made it about five or six years ago, its got violet in it and also tobacco and leather we went to a very old tobacco shop in Amsterdam that I go to, where they store the tobacco in old wooden pots. We took the different tobaccos away with us and made a blend actually. There are no plans yet though.
Other than Etoile de Hollande and your new discovery set, do you have any new products?
Yes, we have just introduced a new travel set: you get 3x10ml bottles. They start at 85 and go up to 195 for the Oud - its a much more expensive material to work with.
You can see a brief video of Jeroen on Rose Etoile de Hollande below. (Apologies for the sound quality)
- Video Interview: Burr on Every Bottle of Perfume Contains a World
Currently, there are 558 Active Users (54 Members and 504 Guests)
- › First post, real vs. fake? 1 minute ago
- › Who prefers the "old" Basenotes website set up?? 3 minutes ago
- › Summer Scent thoughts 3 minutes ago
- › 4-6 hours longevity considered poor...really?! 4 minutes ago
- › ultimate intimate sexy dark sweet vibe scent 6 minutes ago
- › When variety of high heel shoes steal the runway 11 minutes ago
- › If you could only have 3 scents it would be.... 11 minutes ago
- › VIW vs. SMW vs. Aventus vs. MI 19 minutes ago
- › Floris Malmaison v. Villoresi Garofano 23 minutes ago
- › Today i bought; May 2013 33 minutes ago
- › Old Spice by Procter & Gamble, 1937 by PerfumeCollector
- › Kobe by Xerjoff by FISS80
- › Wonderstruck by Taylor Swift, 2011 by del
- › Manifesto by Yves Saint Laurent, 2012 by Den1011
- › Samsara by Guerlain, 1989 by Den1011
- › Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior, 1998 by Den1011
- › Memoirs Of A Trespasser by Imaginary Authors by BradW
- › James Bond 007 Ocean Royale by James Bond, 2013 by Zgb
- › Botanical Essence No. 100 by Liz Earle, 2013 by LondonGirl
- › Emir by Martine Micallef, 2010 by Buzzlepuff
- › UK FiFi Award winners 2013 by Grant
- › UK FiFi Awards tonight. by Grant
- › Groups Guidelines by Grant Osborne
- › Buy, Sell, Trade Rules by Grant Osborne
- › Following And Followers by Grant Osborne
- › Search And Advanced Search Tutorial by Grant Osborne
- › Tagging Tutorial by Grant Osborne
- › Add A New Item Tutorial by Grant Osborne
- › Image And Video Tutorial by Grant Osborne
- › Subscription Tutorial by Grant Osborne