- Both registered members and Basenotes Plus members may post reviews.
- Basenotes Plus members’ reviews will be published immediately.
- Registered members’ reviews may take a few days to appear. We aim to publish them within a week, although occasionally it may take a little longer.
- Registered members can edit their reviews three times. Basenotes Plus members can edit their reviews ten times.
- By submitting a review on Basenotes you allow us to publish it indefinitely on the website or via other media.
- We welcome reviews of fragrances from our visitors, but would request that they conform to the guidelines outlined below.
- Reviews should contain some writing. Reviews which post a ‘thumbs up’ or ‘thumbs down’ without including a review of the fragrance will not be published.
- The recommended length for a review on Basenotes is between 100 and 500 words. Short, pithy reviews are allowed, but need to say something about the fragrance. Reviews such as: ‘I like it’ or ‘This is rubbish’ may not be published. Reviews which are overlong may not be published.
- We welcome creativity and humour in Basenotes reviews. However, if we feel that the reviewer’s response to the fragrance has been lost in a mire of creativity, that review may not be published.
- We understand that some fragrances contain notes which emulate bodily fluids, and that the fragrance industry frequently uses sexual imagery and, as such, we expect reviews to occasionally mention these things. Reviews which are judged to be crossing the line into bad taste or sharing ‘too much information’ may not be published.
For examples of good reviews, see our ‘Most Liked Reviewers’ list, here: http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/ (To ‘like’ a review, simply click on the ‘heart’ icon.)
- Please only use the review form for reviewing fragrances. If you have questions about a fragrance or where to find it, please refer to the relevant area of our forum or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Basenotes is an English-speaking site. We welcome visitors from all over the world, but Basenotes’ official language is English. Reviews in other languages will not be published.
- Reviews containing HTML or italics, or any form of code, will not appear as such when posted in the review form, and instead will appear as code in your review. Please bear this in mind when creating a review.
- Reviews which contain links, infringe on copyrighted material, include personal information, are commercial, false, self-promoting or spam will not be published.
- Reviews which attack other reviewers, are harassing or threatening, or which make derogatory statements about people or groups of people will not be published. For further information, please see the Basenotes Code of Conduct: http://www.basenotes.net/about/92-basenotes-community-code-of-conduct-for-members
- Basenotes reserves the right to not to publish - or to remove - any review, at our discretion.