• Sandalwood Dreams, Part 8: Uses and Markets

      In the wrap-up to this series we will find out where to buy sandalwood oil, sandalwood wood and list the various uses and markets for this enlivened product.

      First let's step back in time to a sandalwood report published in 1925.


      SANDALWOOD OIL INDUSTRY OF INDIA
      Journal of the Royal Society of Arts
      Vol. 74, No. 3813 (DECEMBER 18th, 1925), pp. 119-120
      Published by: Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce
      Article Stable
      URL



      Over the past 15 years the price has increased on a compound basis by 16 % per annum.

      The trial harvest of Australian album oil by TFS in 2011 sold for $US4,000 per kg. This was an 80% premium on the 2011 spot price of $US2,100 per kg. Today Mysore sandalwood oil has a spot price of $US2,500 per kg.

      TFS anticipates that it will be the dominant global producer of Santalum album sandalwood by 2020. The markets for sandalwood include perfumery, religious statues and prayer beads as well as incense and medicine. Currently in R&D is a wart removal trial using sandalwood oil.

      The world now has a reliable, legal and sustainable supply of Australian album (Santalum album) sandalwood. This will deliver stability for the market uses noted above.

      This has been a series of sandalwood dreams which have turned into a heightened and sustainable reality.

      Australian album Sandalwood Oil GIVEAWAY

      Basenotes draw: 1 of 8 sampler ~5ml bottles (as pictured in Part 7) of Australian album sandalwood oil, courtesy of TFS.


      How to enter

      Please leave a comment below letting us know something new or interesting that you learnt from any section of the Series of Sandalwood Dreams.

      Please note that the gift recipient postal addresses will need to be given to TFS for the mail-out. This giveaway is open to anyone, anywhere in the world.


      Draw Now Closed




      TFS Contact Information

      If you would like to experience Australian album sandalwood oil or wood the contacts are:

      Home and Small Business buyers - TFS products page

      Commercial Quantity
      Australian album Oil - TFS commercial enquiries
      Australian album Wood - TFS commercial enquiries

      TFS Video


      Related articles






      Sandalwood Dreams Series - by Jordan River


      1. Myths & Dreams
      2. The Perfumed Chamber
      3. Planting Santalum album Sandalwood in Australia
      4. Harvesting
      5. Grading, processing and shipping to the distillery
      6. Distillation
      7. What does it smell like?
      8. Uses and Markets

      About the author Jordan River
      Author AvatarJordan River is the host of The Fragrant Man and also writes for Olfactoria's Travels and Australian Perfume Junkies. Jordan has been been reading Basenotes and other fragrance websites for the past few years and enjoys the confluence of subjectivity, knowledge and opinion. He is not a Perfume Pontiff and is always happy to be enlightened by your own knowledge and challenged by differing opinions.

      Share:

      Comments 93 Comments
      1. demcav's Avatar
        demcav -
        Reading this series of installments about TFS's success in reestablishing santalum album as a sustainable species is truly a dream come true! "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind!" Thank you for sharing this wonderful news, and a chance to sample the results!
      1. joshuaang's Avatar
        joshuaang -
        I have learnt, rather superficially, that Australian album sandalwood smells similar to Mysore sandalwood, only stronger, although I'd have to smell it for myself to decide! Great series, Jordan
      1. Pharmacist_Blender's Avatar
        Pharmacist_Blender -
        I've been fiddling around with the replacement arochemicals (ebanol, javanol, santaliff, sandella) for ages trying to find something I like. I'm excited to get a sniff of this new supply!!! I'm thrilled to hear the santalol levels are so high!
      1. Birdboy48's Avatar
        Birdboy48 -
        A very interesting set of articles ! I imagine that TFS is anxious to get on with their harvest, as 14 years is a long time to wait. In time, perhaps they will be growing even older trees ?

        I was particularly impressed by their greenhouses, and the number of seedlings they are producing every year !
      1. Kingpharroh's Avatar
        Kingpharroh -
        I learned that the traditional method of sandalwood oil production is burying the cut logs in the ground so that white ants eat the outside wood leaving the oil carrying heartwood uneaten. I also learned that the fragrance of sandalwood is a natural repellant to those ants. I would have thought the yield from the sandalwood would be much higher than 3.7%. This was a great series Jordan, thanks for doing it and thanks for the draw!
      1. Bande's Avatar
        Bande -
        Really interesting. I have always liked Sandalwood and sought it out in fragrances, but never realized how/where it came from. The idea that the stumps are ripped out to obtain the oil was eye opening to say the least.
      1. nwguy's Avatar
        nwguy -
        I found it interesting that Santalum album requires 3 different trees in order to grow.
        I also like how transparent TFS is being with the whole process, from picking through distillation, even being so careful about each batch. It's so nice that there is finally a completely legal source for the oil from this species. Hopefully it will decrease demand for its Indian counterpart and help curb the poaching of an already depleted terroir.
        I am interested to know how this compares with the native spicatum in its profile and how it blends.
      1. fhayat's Avatar
        fhayat -
        I had used the original sandalwood prayer beads from India and can"t wait to smell this"new genre" of sandalwood .
        A very enlightening and informative series
      1. rattus_st's Avatar
        rattus_st -
        As a sandalwood lover, it's great to read that the Australian santalum album is now being planted and harvested sustainably and that it can rival the Mysore sandalwood in terms of fragrance profile.
        These have been very informative articles. Thank you for sharing.
      1. davido22's Avatar
        davido22 -
        The most inspiring thing I learned was about the Buddha's scent hut. I have been experimenting with the release of fragrances in contained spaces and the description of the disciples bringing their santal to burn in his presence gave me a sense of spiritual deja doppelganger. So far I am using my own little fumigation tent with my electric incense burner for safety's sake. I would love to put this Australian santal in a diffuser and annoint myself with its healing magick.
      1. Zinan's Avatar
        Zinan -
        I for one am glad to see a viable replacement on the verge. The synthetic takes on sandalwood just do not compare. This gives me hope that current houses can have some of their scents return close to or to their former glory. This entire series has been quite refreshing and has made me aware that there is an effort to find a viable replacement. I cannot wait to see what the future stores!
      1. bridge of birds's Avatar
        bridge of birds -
        This whole series has been highly educational--thank you!
        I especially liked the Buddhist stories earlier, about the perfumed chamber of Buddha and the transmutation of his hut to crystal through incense smoke. Also the stories about the first highly successful sandalwood merchant who bought a poor man's wood and made a killing selling it to the king. I wonder how that ancient pricing compares to the 16 % compound increase of the past few years?

        From this section, I thought it was interesting to hear that its medicinal uses include a wart remover. Useful but not at all glamorous.

        Possibly my favorite was all of section 7 wherein I lived vicariously and smelled Australian album through their noses and descriptions. Lovely! I have smelled some kind of non-Mysore 'sandalwood' oil which was very very sharp and not buttery/nutty or even very woody. I was sad to think that was it for naturals, and am very very glad to hear that was wrong.
        Please count me in
      1. Jordan88888888's Avatar
        Jordan88888888 -
        Quote Originally Posted by bridge of birds View Post
        This whole series has been highly educational--thank you!
        I especially liked the Buddhist stories earlier, about the perfumed chamber of Buddha and the transmutation of his hut to crystal through incense smoke. Also the stories about the first highly successful sandalwood merchant who bought a poor man's wood and made a killing selling it to the king. I wonder how that ancient pricing compares to the 16 % compound increase of the past few years?

        From this section, I thought it was interesting to hear that its medicinal uses include a wart remover. Useful but not at all glamorous.

        Possibly my favorite was all of section 7 wherein I lived vicariously and smelled Australian album through their noses and descriptions. Lovely! I have smelled some kind of non-Mysore 'sandalwood' oil which was very very sharp and not buttery/nutty or even very woody. I was sad to think that was it for naturals, and am very very glad to hear that was wrong.
        Please count me in
        Bridge of Birds, counting you in now. The ancient pricing became far too complex in translation to calculate interest! I liked the transmutation story too.
      1. Jordan88888888's Avatar
        Jordan88888888 -
        Quote Originally Posted by Zinan View Post
        I for one am glad to see a viable replacement on the verge. The synthetic takes on sandalwood just do not compare. This gives me hope that current houses can have some of their scents return close to or to their former glory. This entire series has been quite refreshing and has made me aware that there is an effort to find a viable replacement. I cannot wait to see what the future stores!
        It is a 'feel good' story in many ways especially as the effort has been successful. A nice change from the nightly news which I never watch. Sometimes I spray Trayee (Mysore Sandalwood) on my left wrist and Le Labo’s Santal 33 (Synthetic Sandalwood) on the right wrist just to enjoy the difference in wafts. This will also tune one's nose to these differences.

        Trayee
        Santal 33

        Zinan you are in the draw.
      1. Jordan88888888's Avatar
        Jordan88888888 -
        Quote Originally Posted by davido22 View Post
        The most inspiring thing I learned was about the Buddha's scent hut. I have been experimenting with the release of fragrances in contained spaces and the description of the disciples bringing their santal to burn in his presence gave me a sense of spiritual deja doppelganger. So far I am using my own little fumigation tent with my electric incense burner for safety's sake. I would love to put this Australian santal in a diffuser and annoint myself with its healing magick.
        Peace David. The Perfumed Chamber was a thrill to discover. Fumigation tent; photo please. I have been bathing in Australian album! Wafting your name into the draw now.
      1. Jordan88888888's Avatar
        Jordan88888888 -
        Quote Originally Posted by rattus_st View Post
        As a sandalwood lover, it's great to read that the Australian santalum album is now being planted and harvested sustainably and that it can rival the Mysore sandalwood in terms of fragrance profile.
        These have been very informative articles. Thank you for sharing.
        You are very welcome Rattus St. I have been chasing the story since 2012. I am so happy to be able to share this with you. Into the hat goes your good name.
      1. Jordan88888888's Avatar
        Jordan88888888 -
        Quote Originally Posted by fhayat View Post
        I had used the original sandalwood prayer beads from India and can"t wait to smell this"new genre" of sandalwood .
        A very enlightening and informative series
        I am often enlightened here myself Fhayat. 'New genre' - sure, such succinctness puts you in the draw. Succincticity to you!
      1. Jordan88888888's Avatar
        Jordan88888888 -
        Quote Originally Posted by nwguy View Post
        I found it interesting that Santalum album requires 3 different trees in order to grow.
        I also like how transparent TFS is being with the whole process, from picking through distillation, even being so careful about each batch. It's so nice that there is finally a completely legal source for the oil from this species. Hopefully it will decrease demand for its Indian counterpart and help curb the poaching of an already depleted terroir.
        I am interested to know how this compares with the native spicatum in its profile and how it blends.
        I hope you find out nwguy. One way could be to put you in the draw. Done.
      1. Jordan88888888's Avatar
        Jordan88888888 -
        Quote Originally Posted by Bande View Post
        Really interesting. I have always liked Sandalwood and sought it out in fragrances, but never realized how/where it came from. The idea that the stumps are ripped out to obtain the oil was eye opening to say the least.
        Hey Bande. Yes I loved the stump extractor as did a few others here. Maybe your name will be extracted from the draw which you are now in.
      1. Jordan88888888's Avatar
        Jordan88888888 -
        Quote Originally Posted by Kingpharroh View Post
        I learned that the traditional method of sandalwood oil production is burying the cut logs in the ground so that white ants eat the outside wood leaving the oil carrying heartwood uneaten. I also learned that the fragrance of sandalwood is a natural repellant to those ants. I would have thought the yield from the sandalwood would be much higher than 3.7%. This was a great series Jordan, thanks for doing it and thanks for the draw!
        Aha, that was a traditional method used in Indonesia and probably all over South East Asia. The same ants are maybe not in Australia but you never know as they are very close neighbours; make that geographically close. They have issues. Thank you for reading Kingpharroh. You are in the draw.



    Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000