Greatest Hits : Sophia Grojsman

15th May, 2015

Sophia Grojsman is one of the most influential perfumers of the last century, having created the monolithic “hug me” accord that has formed the backbone of mainstream perfumery for the past 30 years, due to its excessive longevity and being instantly likeable. Grojsman’s fragrances make statements and represent bold femininity with hidden subtleties. Originating from Belarus, Grojsman has been at IFF since 1966 and is now semi-retired.

Click Next to get started...

About the author: Nick Gilbert

Nick has been working in the world of fragrance for over 15 years. He is co-founder of Olfiction, a creative scent agency offering fragrance development, training, copy and content production. He is frequently quoted in the press and has provided perfumery training globally, from London to Seoul.

Website: http://www.olfiction.com

Comments

• cacio | 15th May 2015 17:58

Excellent summary as usual. And of course one could have talked about even more perfumes.

Does anybody know the relation between 100% love and rose rebelle respawn. I never smelled 100% love, but from the descriptions, rose rebelle sounds like it's doing the same thing.

As for Yvresse/Champagne, I am hypersensitive to some material there, because I find it suffocating-go figure.

cacio

• Gblue (article author) | 17th May 2015 13:11

Thanks very much - as always it's difficult to cut the list down, but I felt like these are most emblematic of Grojsman's ouvre.

As for Rose Rebelle Respawn, I understand that it's meant to be quite similar to 100% love, although haven't smelled it myself.

• mastorer | 19th May 2015 04:18

Very nice, Nick. And I love the photo choices, too. It truly puts me in in a state of awe whenever I read about any great artist and his/her wonderful world-changing contributions to humanity. These creations have each influenced the very language we speak and the way we see the world. That is just a stunning thing for anyone to accomplish in a life.

Thank you for the inspiration such reminders give to all of us to strive to do more as humans.

• Oviatt | 19th May 2015 04:36

Thanks for this--interesting as I had heard the name, of course, but never knew which fragrances were hers. Oddly enough, I am not a fan of any of them (and actually detest the smell of Tresor on a woman), but can certainly appreciate her talent. Yvresse was given to my wife as a gift from a friend coming to stay who bought it in duty free (as "Champagne," then)--such a nice gesture--but it is the only time in twenty some years of marriage that I asked my wife to wear it when I was not around. Luckily she didn't much like it either, so it went to a good home elsewhere. I can see how Paris is considered a great perfume--I do admit--but I just happen not to like the smell of roses so it is a real miss for me.

• furrypine | 19th May 2015 17:14

I have Yvresse and Calyx, and they are both oddities and not easy to wear, I find, but really fascinating. She is still active but I wonder how interesting she finds the work these days: she recently did a fragrance for the line love2love, a brand owned by Walmart....

• jujy54 | 3rd June 2015 04:25

I have a mini of BatSheba, purportedly her first fragrance, in a beautiful frosted swirled glass vial, as well as Private Collection and Osar de la Renta Volupté. I'm not sure her greatest hits are her greatest fragrances. Calyx excepted, of course!