Reviews by ryanm

ryanm's avatar
    ryanm
    South Africa South Africa

Blue Jeans by Versace

This would make an absolutely charming gift to a boy as his first cologne. It is sweet, comforting and yet intoxicating, with anise reminding me a little of Lolita Lempicka.

On a mature man, I'm a little less positive. In strictly limited quantities, it could work well - otherwise it WILL become cloying very quickly.

18 December, 2008

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

There is a fruity/cucumbery note that I detect strongly also in Hugo by Hugo Boss. In fact, this smells exactly like Hugo with added patchouli. Good as a beach scent, maybe, but nothing special.

10th April, 2007

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I tried this today, based on the positive reviews here, and came away rather nonplussed. It's both fruitier and sweeter than I expected. Unfortunately, it reminds me strongly of some gelatine type sweets ("candies" to the U.S. guys) I knew as a kid, which makes the whole experience a bit off-putting.

11th March, 2007

Oscar for Men by Oscar de la Renta

The initial blast is a lemony sherbet, balanced by a strong peppery note. It's one of the few fragrances that smells great straight out of the nozzle. As it develops, the nutmeg and woods start appearing. This one has become my signature summer fragrance: it's pleasant enough to be almost universally likable, yet there's an understated and intriguing complexity, with "pencil shaving" incense wood smells, amongst others. A great everyday fragrance that has received many compliments. Unique and underrated, in my books. Suits younger men better, although I could imagine it on older.

25 February, 2007