Reviews by scentaddiction

scentaddiction's avatar
    scentaddiction

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

Feminine like Amber PH, but SLIGHTLY more masculine. It seems very linear to me. Iris and frankincense and not much else. Iris like Dior Pour Homme, but not as masculine in the drydown.

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

Linear vanilla garbage. Has absolutely NO connection to the original. Some people might enjoy the dissimilarity to the namesake, but I like the diesel manliness of Fahrenheit. This stuff is sickly sweet, linear and extremely cloying. DO NOT buy it blindly if you are searching for a modern take on the original. Go buy that vanilla fields junk from your local drugstore.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

I agree with BlackAmberMoon, it is the best aquatic out there, save maybe Issey Miyake. More complex than Acqua di Gio, and definitely more thick. Turin loved Beyond Paradise, but I think that this is a much more complex aquatic. It has excellent longevity. One note, the bottle sucks. If you have more than a few bottles, it lays flat like a coaster..difficult to place in any real collection. Worth the buy, though!

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

Smells like orange rinds on an incense stick. Very clean. Possibly the most potent of any new mens scents since Fleur du Male. It will clear your nostrils as fast as it will clear a room if you are overly liberal in the application. The drydown surprised me. The scent is VERY feminine out of the bottle, sharp and cloying. After an hour it settles into a decent masculine vetiver. I do not get much amber out of it, but it is a complex frag. It is easily one of the most unique and instantly recognizable scents in my collection.
    If you appreciate unique and complex fragrances, you must purchase this scent. If you prefer the Acqua di Gio's, Euphoria's and Polo Black's, you will most definitely hate Amber pour Homme.

Himalaya by Creed

Sharp synthetic smell that stings your nose out of the bottle. It doesn't evolve at all, and leaves you wondering if you should spray it on your skin or use it to clean your bathroom mirror. Windex + pepper does not make a great scent.

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

GIT and violet leaves. It is really beautiful, it just has poor longevity. It seems to give me 45 minutes and I can only smell my arm and hammer antiperspirant. Pity, my wife bought me one in NYC for 30 bucks (she had no idea it was a fake), and I think that it outlasts the original by about 20 minutes. Thumbs up for the scent, neutral for the longevity.

Pour Un Homme by Caron

I am on the fence on this cologne. I love the lavender, but after 30 minutes it starts to smell like mildewy lavender that has been peed on....
    sometimes the pee is less pronounced, but it is usually there, lurking in the background, like piccadilly station. My wife hates it.

Number 3 / Le 3me Homme / The Third Man by Caron

Lavender, jasmine and cinnamon out of the bottle, 1 hour later the musk remains. It is a very complex fragrance that reminds me of egoiste, then antaeus, then paco rabanne.
    This is more masculine than Pour un Homme, less masculine than Yatagan, and more complex and intriguing than the others combined. I have not tried Anarchiste, but le 3eme homme seems to be Caron's best.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

I want to love this, I really do. It is fantastic out of the bottle. I recently bought pour Monsieur, Eau Sauvage, Caron PuH, and le 3eme Homme. I have been collecting old school frags of late...
    The lemon is great out of the bottle, sharper than pour Monsieur, and more fresh. But.......then comes the indole....
    Seriously. Am I the only one who smells the poop in this? I have tried 3-4 times, and every time the 30 minute mark comes, the lemony citrus goodness is still there, but on top of some dried turds. Like lemon pledge in an outhouse.
    I want to love this fragrance, but the poop is bringing me down!

Bulgari pour Homme by Bulgari

If you like pepper, buy it. Sure the notes include bergamot, orange blossom, blah blah blah...they are but fleeting moment for the pepper drydown. It only seems to last about an hour on my skin. Not much in terms of evolution. It is nice but lacks any true grit or character...

Beyond Paradise for Men by Estée Lauder

Unlike mrclmind, I bought this before I read Luca Turin's review....once I read his opinion, I thought that I needed to give it another chance....I completely agree with mrclmind. I would prefer to wear that blue Derek Jeter concoction to this. It is a generic citrus mess with less longevity than a lush hand lotion. I only paid 20 bucks for a 3.4, and it was about 19.50 too much. Please try this before adding it to a collection based on Turin's review, mine only gathers dust....

17 January, 2009

Narciso Rodriguez for Him by Narciso Rodriguez

Wow, this seems to a be a take it or hate it cologne. It is very strong in the opening, and softens only a little. More than 2 sprays in one spot will bring the feces out of this cologne. It hits with a combination of lavender, sandalwood and plastic. Settles into a synthetic musk. If you like previous offers from Kurkdjian (Fleur du Male, Le Male, Gaultier2, etc.) you will probably appreciate the synthetic similarities. Try it first, and take it easy on the application.

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

Not as smoky as its predecessor, but the more mild mannered topnotes make it more suitable for daily wear. The tea notes out of the bottle dominate for the first hour, and then it settles into a soft soapy musk.

Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Cedar on the top, pencil shavings for 2 hours, then residual smoke from a campfire until you bathe the next day. If you like thick scents that proclaim your masculinity for you, this is it. Just take it easy on the application, lest you will smell like a cave man.

Joop! Homme by Joop!

People get very heated about this cologne...I used to HATE this stuff. It came out when I was in high school, and I think people used to spray it on their shirts, coats, hair etc etc...it is nauseatingly sweet on the top end...if you spray it on paper or clothing, the top is all you will ever get. The magic in this is the drydown. If you spray it twice on your chest, and then get dressed, the drydown is cinnamon and vetiver. It will last all day, and I have received many complement. The key is in the application and patience. Make sure you give yourself 20 minutes before getting into an elevator, and please, do not apply it to your clothing.

Lalique pour Homme by Lalique

I have to agree with coolnose about the barely evident vanilla...certainly no feeling of vanilla tarts on my chest....
    I get a huge dose of lavender in the top notes, and then it seems to settle to sandalwood and amber. It has great sillage and longevity. In fact, it has the best longevity of any of the lalique line. I prefer Equus to this (more cedar) , but Lalique lasts longer..

15 January, 2009

Antaeus by Chanel

If you do not like bold masculine fragrances, you will likely hate antaeus. If you like Gentleman, Kouros, M7, or possibly even Quorum, you need to buy Antaeus. It is very sweet out of the bottle, bordering on feminine...but that only lasts about 10 minutes. The dominant notes I get throughout the day is a thick leathery sandalwood. The patchouli is there...and I think that I even detect a bit of lavender in the topnotes....at any rate it is a classic. I would hesitate to wear more than one spray to work though....

15 January, 2009

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a smoky fougere that is a take it or leave it fragrance. I love it, but it will clear a room if more than two sprays are used. There is no mistaking its scent, and you will stand out. I love it, all in moderation though. Very linear, do not expect much evolution other than your own funk popping up around it, it will not change.

17 December, 2008

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

Terrible. Bermuda Tonic for Aramis, only more alcohol in the drydown. Rub coconut lotion on yourself. Its cheaper.

30th November, 2008

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Francis Kurkdjian has made some of my favorite scents of late. This stuff is nauseatingly stuffy right out of the bottle. It almost seems like someone sprayed it on cotton balls and them shoved them up your nose.

But....if you can get past that, the drydown will last for hours, and the scent seems more manly. I am amazed that Kurkdjian could make this scent, followed by Narciso Rodriguez. Rodriguez screams, "I am here and I am a sweaty man." Fleur du Male screams, "I am here, but I might be gay." ---but if you are confident in your masculinity, you can pull off either one.

Polo Black by Ralph Lauren

Horrible. Ralph Lauren has produced nothing of note since the original Polo....I say that, and I am only 30 years old. Polo sport was for kids, Polo Blue had some summertime value, Romance sucks, Romance silver had a bit of blackberry potential, but it's longevity was worse that its Classic Match counterpart, and now this rubbing alcohol with a hint of acetone should land Lauren in the Stetson aisle. Wal-Mart will be pleased.

Gaultier² by Jean Paul Gaultier

This is the warmest cologne I have ever smelled. The diversity of scents in the Gaultier line is spectacular. Le Male, Fleur du Male, and Gaultier2 smell nothing alike.

Gaultier2 is opens with a cloud of Vanilla, but it settles into a thick amber. It is wonderful, just do not buy the 40ml bottle, it will go too quickly.

The sillage is great, but its longevity is nowhere near Le Male, which is confusing as it is an EdP. Sample it. If you do not enjoy it, sample it again. I think it took me three tries, but I am now hooked.

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

If your fear of lipstick is preventing you from buying this cologne, then sample it next time you are out. The lipstick is a fleeting annoyance, but the drydown is a thick suede. Very manly once the lipstick rubs off....

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès

This is great. It is Terre Hermes with no chest hair in the drydown. My wife likes it as well, and she tells me it is made for women. It is the longest lasting green fragrance since Green Jeans, but no pine sol here.

L'Homme Eau d'Été by Yves Saint Laurent

This is a good summer scent. It is not the longest lasting cologne, but that was expected, paying only 41.00 for 100ml. It has a powdery base which long outlasts the citrus that it opens with. Lasts about four hours on my skin, which I am happy with, given the fact that it is l'eau d'ete.

19 June, 2007

Fierce for Men by Abercrombie & Fitch

I am almost ashamed to say that I bought this frag. I realize now that my attraction to it was in its similarity to D and G for men, although it is probably more similar in quality to Realities for men. If you do buy this, please, please salvage some pride and rip the sticker of Fabio off the back. Seriously.

Armani Mania by Giorgio Armani

Disappointing top notes that are rescued by a smooth suede drydown that is subtle enough for any occasion. Neither as collegiate as Acqua Di Gio, nor as distinguished as Code, but it has a 30-year old appeal that is worth a try.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

The aniseed and absinthe predominate, not unlike LLempicka for women. It is long-lasting and very original. Might be a tad strong for some. If it is too much, one might prefer Kenzo Air instead. Both with aniseed, but Air is much more easy in crowds.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I received this as a gift in 1995 from a friend in France. I used to love it, but since 1999 I seem to drown in the sillage left by pierced teenagers wearing fur-lined hooded jackets in almost every damned mall in America. But, this is not the fault of JPG.
    It is warm right out of the bottle, and the vanilla/tonka bean lasts until you bathe the next morning. It is worthy of a purchase, just avoid malls on Friday nights.

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Two kinds of people like this scent: Old men, and enthusiasts. Who dislikes this fragrance? Women.
    I must start by stating that I love this cologne. It is distinguished, original, bold, and incredibly long lasting. In fact, I would say that it is probably as long-lasting as Antaeus, although you can wash Kouros off.
    There seems no mention of Tonka as a base in the basenotes pyramid, but my nose smells it.
    I wear this not only because I love its 3-dimensional quality, but because it has been on the market for over 25 years, yet I have never smelled it on anyone else. Have you?