Reviews by Moneysuckle

Moneysuckle's avatar
    Moneysuckle

Cuba by Czech & Speake

I love this scent and wear it often. (I wear Havana more often). Both start off strong (in their own way) and finish with a bay rhum base.

Cuba serves as Havana's country cousin. Whereas Havana is walking into a pipe shop in the city, Cuba hails from the tobacco farm. Anyone who has been on a tobacco farm will recognize Cuba's fecal top note. It doesn't last long, and I feel sorry for those who can't get past it.

Because for me it sets the stage. It takes me to the Cuban (or in my case North Carolina) countryside before basking me in the incredible bay rhum finish.

One of my favorites.

10th June, 2012

Clubman Special Reserve by Pinaud

TwoRoads turned me on to this little gem.

I had worn Clubman Lilac Vegetal 25 years ago in HS (because that's what my Dad wore at the time). Fast forward a generation, and I decide to explore leather scents. I notice on the message board that TwoRoads is both a leather scent connoisseur, and recommends Clubman Special Reserve as an excellent and inexpensive version of Creed's Royal English Leather (which I have never smelled to this day). So I go back to the future ordering Pinaud juice again.

At $7 for 6 ounces, I can safely say this is the best bargain in all of men's fragrance. The opening is rather musty. Some might say rustic. That accord quickly burns off into a beautiful, slightly sweetened leather heart note. Reminds me of how my oiled baseball gloves smelled when I was a kid. Over time, the amber/vanilla basenotes seamlessly weave their way into the leather, softening and sweetening the dry down. These notes don't take over the fragrance, but balance the leather. My wife loves this scent on me. Overall, Clubman Special Reserve is more leathery and less sweet than 1776 Elsha (another excellent leather fragrance).

Sillage and longevity are excellent for a cologne strength splash.

21st March, 2010

Night Spice by Shulton

Old Spice with a shot of lavender. Very nice.

10th August, 2009

Kiehl's Pour Homme Essence Oil by Kiehl's

Son of Oscar Pour Lui, cousin of Havana's basenotes. Linear but very masculine. Sillage/longevity monster.

10th April, 2009

Quorum Silver by Antonio Puig

I don't think I've come across anything quite like it. Drys down into a gentle leathery/green citrus blend. I enjoy it thoroughly.

08 April, 2009

Vetiver by Guerlain

I bought this classic powerhouse based on what I learned on Basenotes. It's an interesting and long lasting scent. While I don't find the greenish topnotes very alluring, the drydown to a veritable flower garden is quite amazing. I don't wear it often, but I enjoy the fragrance when I do.

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Along with Polo and Paco Rabanne, Obsession was one of three scents which got me hooked on fragrances during law school. It was, for many years, my go-to evening scent. I love its cinnamon-vanilla flavor. I received a ton of compliments through the years on how Obsession seem to agree with my personal chemistry. I still have a bottle, and wear it occasionally. It's like an old friend who loves to reminisce. Now, I wear M7 more than Obsession in the evenings. They are similar, although M7 is a little more sophisticated to my nose.

Envy for Men by Gucci

This scent is very pleasing to me. So much so that I normally spray some on before I drift off to sleep at night. Not to say the scent puts me to sleep, mind you. It's just a comforting and sweet oriental that smells masculine. Unfortunately, Envy doesn't last very long on my skin. If it did, it might be at the tip-top of my list. Since it doesn't, I get some of the same topnotes from Bois Du Portugal which lasts much longer and has an excellent dry-down.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

I reserve this for night time activities like parties or clubbing where I will be surrounded by people with other fragrances on. While I have sampled nothing quite like this long-lasting, velvety, chocolate/coffee brew, my nose tires of it if I wear it too often. If you happen to be dating or married to a choc-o-holic, of course, it would be an excellent choice for an intimate evening.

Himalaya by Creed

I whiffed Himalaya for the first time at Nieman Marcus yesterday on tester paper. The top notes reminded me of Gucci Envy, which I love. I wholly disagree with the writer who said it smells of Platinum Egoiste. I've never had the pleasure of Paco XS, so I can't comment on those comparisons.

I have been very pleased with Green Irish Tweed this year. When I polish off my Envy, I will probably replace it with a bottle of Himalaya.

28 December, 2007