Reviews by AceyMan

Helmut Lang Eau de Cologne by Helmut Lang

This little number is very attractive. There's a reason they brought it back after the earlier run, which sold out and was unavailable for a long spell (as I understand it).

This juice is very likeable. The opening and first ninety minutes are so, so enjoyable.

Toward the end it is still holding together, and you can remember what the opening smelled like.

Sadly,r the spoiler for me is a fairly long stretch in the heart where when I sniff, and I get mostly ... scented baby powder. Nearly as if it were a solifloré of that note.

I like powderiness, and even that mystery accord they still use in J&J baby powder, but this is a case it's a little too much by itself, with not much to support it, and so it's all I can smell for a while.

I suspect this is a unique condition, a curiosity in the way my skin plays out the notes of the composition, but whatever the root cause, for me this issue puts HLedC in the "cannot be FBW" class.

All that being said,for me it'd have to give it a neutral, but would strongly suggest any interested readers to test for yourself, as it's a very friendly composition whose quality is readily apparent, and so I am scoring it as *thumbs up* in my public rating.

Cheers,
/Avey
15th January, 2017

Sandalwood by Caswell-Massey

The reviews on other forums are way more mixed (& negative) than here. I cannot deduce why that is.

Because I am principley a Basenoter I blind bought this recently (curse you Amazon One-Click!).

I will not dispense with pleasantries.

What we have here is room spray.

Oh, wait—Joe Malone, et al, make great room sprays. This is not them.

So; room spray when you run out of room spray.

That's what my bottle is doing.

(So, at minimum, try before you buy, but it's a clear Thumbs Down for me.)
04th May, 2016

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

I don't think it's unfair in this case to lead with a discussion of this cologne's notable weakness - power. As much as I love this frag, I can get neither longevity or sillage from this one. To its credit, these traits mean you will rarely offend, even if you overapply.

The scent itself is very nice. Fresh, bright and somewhat soapy, it smells like what you would expect to smelly like after a straight razor shave at at 1952 barber shop. Crisp, clean and masculine. There is not much complexity to comment on, but the component notes are well blended and pure. No mineralic or metallic accords here. The oft debated 'S'-note can be detected, but isn't strong, and isn't obvious to everyone.

Overall, a can't miss summer cologne -- but be prepared to re-apply frequently.
23rd December, 2007

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

I am a new reviewer, but after wearing TdH for a week now, the 'm' word comes to mind -- this is a masterpiece. The zesty orange/grapefruit top/middle notes over a great base of wood/soil make for a lovely point and counterpoint. The balance is near-perfect, and the drydown, while fairly linear (as the top notes seem to remain throughout) is delicious. I don't ever want to run out of TdH so am already stocking up early. A must try for any fragrance lover. Kudos, Hermes!
01st April, 2007