Reviews by Zosia

Happy Diamonds by Chopard

I recently purchased a naked bottle as part of a 'lot'. Fellow Basenoter Chypre kindly identified it (thankyou!) going only by the beautiful gem-shaped, glass-stoppered bottle. The scent was a lovely surprise.

A tiny dab off the pipette gives a little bit of sharpness in the citrus opening but the sweetness of the flowers soon develops into a warm and elegant cloud. It's not overpowering. The base is very pretty. I couldn't single out any given element.

I didn't know what I was wearing but it smelled expensive and a little bit dangerous if you know what I mean. Something I could imagine wearing with my little black dress, Dillinger securely strapped to my thigh, champagne in hand, at an exclusive address. I felt like I had found a treasure.

Here are the fragrance notes (from the web):

Top Notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Orange blossom, Fruity notes, Galbanum

Heart Notes: Rose, Jasmine, Carnation, Ylang-ylang, Iris, Tuberose, Heliotrope, Sandalwood

Base Notes: Vanilla, Tonka bean, Benzoin, Cedar, Vetiver, Ambergris, Civet

There is a bit available on eBay. Definitely worth exploring.
14th January, 2016 (last edited: 15th January, 2016)

Gris Clair by Serge Lutens

Thanks so much ClaireV for your Gris comments. Your mention of "old electric bar heaters" suddenly brought back a childhood memory of using an old iron on my brothers' cotton shirts. That "hot iron" smell is the elusive element in this haunting creation. It is beautifully blended though and a joy to wear.
16th September, 2014

Tendre Poison by Christian Dior

Had this one. Was attracted to the beautiful green bottle. Thought it would be a 'green' scent. Disliked it so much I threw it out. Nauseatingly strong. Smelled like Raid Bug killer. Such a disappointment from Dior.
14th March, 2007 (last edited: 12th February, 2012)

Angel Schlesser by Angel Schlesser

Definitely unlike anything out there :). Someone came into the office wearing this and I couldn't stop thinking about it for days. Finally had to ask for the name. At first a clear, light, green note...then a subtle spice. Not cinnammon or pepper but a certain spiciness with a hint of powdery rose and mossiness. Finally, an indescribable something that keeps developing. Haunting.

Acqua Classica by Borsari

Fresh. Light. Green notes with a subtle, warm base. Borsari lists Citrus, Sage, Geranium, Sandalwood, Leather and Oak Moss essences. Beautiful discrete scent.

No. 5 by Chanel

This particular bottle of 7ml parfum is about 30 years old. It is almost empty and a little concentrated but lovely...just a dab will create the mystery...powdery, warm, a hint of ferrum, floral, very elegant.