Reviews by Crononaut

Tommy Summer Cologne 2005 by Tommy Hilfiger

I find this to be somewhat similar to their True Star for woman, but the masculine basenotes keep it from smelling totally unisex. Very light and fresh, seems to capture fairly well the essence of summer, of watching a sunset on some beach in the Caribbean, a wonderful breeze on your casual clothing. Perhaps I'm slightly biased to these images because I purchased this while on vacation in Florida, but it's what inevitably comes to mind on every sniff.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I agree with foetidus, this is not a fragrance you should sample on a card in the store, as I too was pretty unimpressed with it at first. Upon giving it a proper application, though, I was completely awestruck. This scent is extroardinary! It smells so clean, yet raw and dirty at the same time, as impossible as that sounds. I can see its warm, inviting, spicy aroma applying to pretty much any scenario, as it manages to smell refined without losing any of its "youthful" vigor or seeming outdated. This is and will be one of my top scents for some time!

Adventurer by Eddie Bauer

Used to be my favorite fragrance in high school, now when I revisit it I realize how one-dimensional it is... this scent does not evolve on your skin. Still, whatever it is that makes this smell so good to me, I really enjoy the sugary-sweet, fresh, aquatic notes, especially since the stuff is so cheap!

Pi by Givenchy

My initial impressions of Pi were the same as teflondog's - this smells so edible, "Pie" would have made more sense. Personally, I don't find the vanilla to be overpowering; in fact, I find it smells fairly different from vanilla, as vanilla-based scents usually bore me. Rather, the woodsy heart note compliments the the sweetness to creat an incredibly warm fragrance. Oh, and this has the greatest longevity I have ever encountered in a fragrance by far. Whenever I wear Pi, it's usually not until my second shower that I can no longer pick up on it. I have never had problems with over-application of this myself, as I usually don't spray more than 2-3 times depending on the fragrance, but I can see how one spritz too many could breed contempt; two sprays of this beast should be enough for anyone.

Adidas Moves by Adidas

Probably my favorite mass-market fragrance, I love the apple and pepper in the top notes. A very fresh, invigorating smell, my only complaint would be its lack of power and longevity. For a cologne of its caliber though, it's pretty impressive.

Adidas Dynamic / Dynamic Pulse by Adidas

If you wait for the dry down, this scent is actually pretty good, blending woods with an aquatic aroma. Out of the bottle though, I find it initially way too harsh; all I can smell is alcohol and all the different notes in sharp disarray.

L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme by Kenzo

It took a while for this scent to grow on me. At first I was overwhelmed by the almost sickly-sweet citrus. However, after wearing it a few times I grew to really enjoy this unique fresh fragrance. I think part of the reason I was overwhelmed in the first place is that the initial spray *is* pretty powerful, but this potency quickly fades, leaving a light, pleasant aroma on you. I can't wait to try this one out in summer.

04 January, 2006