Reviews by The Squire

The Squire's avatar
    The Squire

Vintage by John Varvatos

Wow!! Immediately after putting this sample vial on my neck and wrist I noticed something peculiar...The uncanny scent of Michael for Men by Michael Kors!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It must be the Tobacco and the Suede and the juniper berries which gives it that "Pipe Tobacco -suede sweet drydown!!!!." Smells very mascualine indeed, but again...if you like this you would love Michael for Men too. Vintage is a mimic IMHO, but a 2006 version or update of Michael.

I would wear this cologne in the Winter or Fall weather definately, might be a bit "Heavy" sweet-suedy for the summer months. I like it, Regular Varitos as well. Vintage is DEFINATELY intriguing and I'm a person who is definately NOT fond of tobacco in my cologne, this ones good.

25 December, 2008

Lucky Number 6 for Men by Lucky Brand

2 Thumbs way up on this one!!!!! This is the "Sleeper" sensual scent of 2007!!

I've been searching for a nightime sensual scent and the counter woman at Macys showed me this cologne as the last one before I was about to leave!! AWESOME!! Even better is it doesn't cost an arm and a leg!!!

This will probably get more compliments than anything!! The rating is a 5 and the longevity is a 5 as well IMHO!! The dark plum notes mixed with the others create a DEEP Sensual smell.

Get this cologne if your looking for a nighttime scent!

Obsession Night for Men by Calvin Klein

This has the old base of Obsession from the late 80's with a twinge of Coconut on the topnote. Althought there is no Coconut in the notes the ones that are in this cologne when blended create a "Coconut" smell!!!!

This ones a so-so. It should be more suited for late Spring and summer wear due to the Coconut smell it brings memories of tanning lotion!!! Which in turn brings emotions of warm weather hence...wear this in warmer weather at night perhaps after a nice tanning day at the beach, this is the cologne to wear to a barbeque OR a get together.
    Not bad but nothing to holler about.. Obsession with coconut.

Michael for Men by Michael Kors

What can I say other than read the thumbs up reviews !!!!!!

This is awesome!!! Very smokey, bluesy, Cherry tobacco-ey mixed with suede...hell..then you add the Plum note like Lucky Number 6 has as well and you have a deep, dark, sensual nightime scent. Little bit of suede in this as well. Yes, there are a load of notes in this and it may seem that they get lost BUT..it works and the drydown on Michael is UNREALLL!

Dont put this on and immediately take it off if you have second thoughts..let it drydown and smell it 4 or 5 hours into it and you'll see why women like this one!

This is a nighttime favorite preferably for FALL/WINTER BY the way.

Rive Gauche pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

Just tried this in a sample vile form on my left wrist. Call me crazy but I dont get the big "craze" on this one?

This is an identical Barber Shop smell! I smell this on the back of my neck and sides AFTER the barber is done cutting my hair. Rive Gauche IS that smell! It's very "Old Man cologne meets Barber Shop scent". You guys nailed it on the head on this one and what it smells like!

Don't like it at all IMHO, if women like this pleeease let them put their reviews here cause I just dont buy it! lol Thumbs down on this old man meets Barbasol meets "dads cologne" scent.

11th May, 2007

Nautica Competition (new) by Nautica

This ones a no-go for me. I had T for Him by T.Hilfiger about a year ago...smelled peppery and strong, a hand me down cologne from one of my buddies.
    Whaddya'know....as soon as I sprayed Nautica Competition on the back of my wrist the initial top notes were nice then the drydown smells JUST LIKE T for Him!!! Yea, it's clean but it's too "Peppery" and it's scent is inclined to give a migraine IMHO. Too strong for a "Clean smelling" scent. The other Nautica's are better.

26 April, 2007

Herrera Aqua by Carolina Herrera

Very cloying and strong. Not my taste. Too strong and the notes are more to give a migraine than give pleasure.

Another Herrera down the tubes. Still think I'll fing a gem to add to my wardrobe,this one doesn't have it either.

212 Men On Ice 2004 by Carolina Herrera

Thumbs down on this one, maybe I'm an "Old Timer" but I tested this on the neck and pulse points. The wife immediately smelled a "Womanly" scent out of this cologne?
    I noticed it's lasting power goes away very fast. Put it on, went outside and I swear in a half an hour it was faint if not almost gone! Weird.
    Another Herrera sample down the tubes so far. This actually might be good on a woman, it may work?

Chic for Men by Carolina Herrera

Well...I didn't like ANY of Herrera's cologne except for Herrera for men, the original. I tried about 95% of Herrera's line and nothing...UNTIL...Chic!!! Bingo! I hit a winner!! My wife loves it.

The first words out of her mouth was, "Thats a good balance!" Not too sweet not too citrusy..just right. She mentioned "Musky"..she likes that and sure enough it's in the notes! If you like fresh, clean, safe scents...this is a good one for you if you want a "Sexy" evening cologne or warm weather function cologne.
    I finally hit gold with a Herrera cologne! Thanks to all who mentioned it to me!

212 Men H2O by Carolina Herrera

I'm beginning to think there are very little citrus trees in Herrera land. So far thres citrus overtones in almost all of the line.
    Not a big fan of citrus scents unless there hidden and subtle.

Herrera 212 Men H20 would be good for summer wear IF you like Aqua Di Gio, you'll like her line. The Citronella smell comes out in these colognes IMHO. Thumbs down on this one as well.
    Without a doubt if you have a nose for citrus colognes, you'll love Herrera's line.

212 Men On Ice by Carolina Herrera

I smell citrus right of the bat. Had my wife smell it and I never tell her the name or Fragrance house. She didn't like this one either.
    I smell a Grapefruit orange citrus mixed with a subtle woodsy smell like that of Hugo but not as strong.

Another Herrera down the tubes, couple more to go, hope to find a keeper. lol

Thumbs way down on this one. Smells a bit like Nautica Voyage meets an orange.

212 Sexy Man by Carolina Herrera

Tested it today from a sample vile. It's longevity is good for about 6 hours, however I immediately smell "Le Male" by J.P.Gautier. I am not favorable to Le Male. Too putrid cloying and sweet.
    Sexy Man is a very cloying sweet scent. If you like Le Male and Geir by Geir Ness you'll like Sexy Man by C. Herrera. Too cloying and strong as hell. Sorry guys but not my cup of tea.

21st April, 2007

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I like this scent alot and I recommend it if your a person who loves fresh clean notes and colognes and are looking for an EVENING wear cologne thats smooth IMHO.
    Many compliments from every place I went to go and check out colognes, they all said that Homme' was REALLY nice. I had 3 girls there at the counter and they agreed.
    This is a classy cologne to add to your collection for dinner wear or evening wear. I wouldn't wear it during the day too much.

Allure Homme Sport by Chanel

I say thumbs up becuase I was recommended this cologne from my buddy and tried the sample card and loved it!

In fact The woman at the counter did say the problem, however, is that everyone HAS this cologne, older men as well. I like it as an "up-to-date 2004" sport cologne. It can take the place of Aqua Di Gio and Polo Sport. You can use this to update your daytime sport wear cologne.

Very clean and fresh for the daytime running around wear. A safe scent...yes..but its still good.

Hugh Parsons (Yellow) by Hugh Parsons

I will remain neutral on this one. I smelled the heaviest Lemon scent I've ever smelled before, like Pledge!

I could not even let it go to drydown, the lemon was TOO overpowering. Perhaps I can get my hands on a smaple and try it to see the drydown but it seems to Lemony Pledge for my tastes.

Geir by Geir Ness

Thumbs up for this one. Just goes to show ya...READ THE FORUM ON MENS FRAGRANCE!!!!!!! LoL. I saw Geir by Geir Ness on a thread and wrote it down. Went today and got the sample from Nordstroms. At first smell...ehhhh..so- so...the reason why...I was smelling too many colognes at once.

HOWEVER...Geir will grow on you like you would not believe...Now listen..I haven't worn this yet but smelled it on the sample card and I LOVE IT! I cant wait to try it out this week!

This Nordic cologne is totally UNIQUE IMHO. A classy smell as well, smooth and definately a casual eveing wear cologne,...NOT a sporty type where you would waste it on daytime play.

I tell you...my collection that goes well for me is Traditional Blue by Hugh Parsons, Yves saint Lauren Homme', and Geir by Geir Ness. These 3 are for the "clean smelling scented" male no doubt...throw in Bvlgari Extreme and you have 4 good ones!

Stick to "Sport" colognes for any daytime wear and you wont go wrong.

You'll notice that the guys that DO NOT prefer this are used to a different "Musky" "Dark" type colognes...again these colognes I mentioned are for the guys who prefer THE SAFER NICE CLEAN SMELLING COLOGNES lol.

Geir made a comback today! Cant wait to try it out, would have never known of this one if I didn't surf the message boards.

Hugh Parsons (Blue) by Hugh Parsons

I searched high and low for this exclusive cologne at Nordstroms. What a nice cologne! Again, I hate to sound redundant BUT...if you like fresh clean scents (ie Sport colognes during the day) then this is YOUR cologne for office wear and nightime wear, eating out etc. Classy cologne indeed!

Perfect for the man who loves fresh and clean but in a classy NON "Sporty" daytime way. Another words this would be your equivalent to a daytime wear BUT for a classy dinner or event, party.

Thumbs up on this one. Bigtime! classy notes.

Silver Black / Onyx by Azzaro

Tried this as well on a sample card and the drydown had a hint of that "Old Lady annisette" perfume smell?

I dont know what note is in that "Old LadY" perfume smell BUT it was in the drydown of Onyx and Polo Blue! Top notes were great BUT then the aftersmell of what I mentioned comes to the senses.

09 April, 2007

Tommy Bahama for Women by Tommy Bahama

I like sweet vanilla-ish perfume on women. When I smelled this perfume it was not overpowering...weak, but a CLOSE UP smelling perfume! Nice! There is a hint of coconut and water..that of the scent of what I would think Bahama would be like.

This perfume is a definate top 5 in a womans arsenal IMHO especially for Spring/ Summer wear.

Vera Wang for Men by Vera Wang

A bit "Apple-y" for my tastes, very fruit-like. I smelled apples right away. Didn't really move me but yet if I had this as a last resort to put on I would.

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Tried this one from a sample and then on my wrists for about 3 hours. I smelled a heavy incense smell right off the bat, offensive IMHO. Very musky and strong and reminds me of church incense.

T for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

Synthetic to me as well and I had this bottle passed down to me somehow from somebody and I wore it a lot.
    Hated it! lol A love hate thing cause I did not have too many colognes period.
    Very peppery! You smell pepper the minute it's sprayed, between that and drinking Absolute pepper it would be a sneezing night out indeed.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I went to Italy in July 2001 and smelled this on my airport car driver and asked him what it was. Got back home and wore it. NICE! I'm a floral hater by far and it goes on floral and sweet a bit but with this cologne it's all about THE DRYDOWN. The end result after 1 hour is the best drydown scent possibly ever!
    I've got 10% left and I will move on another new scent but I recommend it to most! Best drydown in my top 3.

Kenneth Cole New York Men by Kenneth Cole

Owned this one as well and it does smell generic in a way. Going between this and Hugo Boss, T for Tommy and L'Eau Dissey you can see why New York can get tiresome.

Had it and I dont recommend it at all.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Too sweet and smells like everythings thrown it it but the kitchen sink. It's from outer space. Too overpowering. It is unique I'll give it that. Something YOU may enjoy on your own but I havent heard any great howls from women on this one, it's too strange,