Reviews by julie-madam

julie-madam's avatar
    julie-madam

Lipstick Rose by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

As a lover of rose perfumes, I was very happy to get a sample of this from a fellow MUAer. This is turning out to be one of my favorite roses--along with Creed's Rose Bulgare and Stella. If Rose Bulgare is dewy-perfect and Stella is get-close-to-me sensual, Lipstick Rose is more unpredictable and slightly catty. Feminine, but provocative and confidant (probably from the vetiver). Goes perfectly with a chip on your shoulder.

28th April, 2007

Miel de Bois by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

At first sniff, I smell dark honey and headshop. Then the honey note fades and I just get headshop. It's been 2-3 hours and now it smells like headshop that hasn't opened a window in over a month. I love Chergui and Musc Ravageur, but this just isn't doing it for me at all. If you love the heavy incense/patchouli smell of a store that sells houkas, crystals and the like--this could be your favorite scent.

23rd April, 2007

Carnal Flower by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

You must absolutely, without-a-doubt love tuberose to like this fragrance. No matter what else is in it, you MUST adore tuberose. I hate tuberose--I can't stand this.

22nd April, 2007

Quel Amour! by Annick Goutal

Smells exactly like Bulgari Pour Femme to me. Otherwise, I agree wholeheartedly with Caltha's review. I love it on my three year old daughter, though!

22nd April, 2007

Une Souris Verte by Molinard

A nice swapper sent me a sample of this and I liked it so much that I went to the Molinard site to get more info about it. The company itelf is over a hundred years old and was founded in Grasse, France (where it all started). Turns out, this perfume is made for children! I'm not surprised, since this is a lovely fresh and clean citrus scent that smells like Provence. Probably the prettiest "citrus" fragrance I've ever smelled. I could bathe in this stuff. I don't really think I'd spray it on my children (they smell great just as they are!), but I'd certainly wear it myself. Notes include: cedrat, armoise, basil, mandarine, tomato flower, cypres, muguet, freesia, orange flower,vetiver, palissandre, and eau de miel. I translated the ones I understood into English--the other notes are en francais.

20th April, 2007

Paradise for Women by Alfred Sung

I was pleasantly surprised by this "sophisticated tropical" fragrance. Most tropicals I tried were overwhelming and cheap smelling, but this and Monyette's Coquette Tropique are my definite favorites. It's tropical, but woody and soft, too without being powdery or cloying. Nice, unoffensive scent for warm weather.

13th April, 2007

Venus Sands by Ava Luxe

Tropical flowers with a woody/musky base. Makes you feel like you're on a tropical island, sipping a coconut cocktail, surrounded by flowers--and someone is smoking a pipe of sweet tobacco somewhere close by. Really comes together as it dries down. I'd wear it on a beach vacation.

09th April, 2007

Milk by Ava Luxe

I got vanilla and sweetened condensed milk from this scent. Though it's not complex, it is comforting and makes a nice bedtime frag. When I woke up the following morning, the perfume was still going strong! Needs layering to wear outside the house, though--tea? apricot, maybe?

La Chasse Aux Papillons by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Pretty, but not full bottle worthy for me. I barely smell the orange blossom; actually I smelled honeysuckle and gardenia when I first applied. Then the honeysuckle smell faded into more gardenia....and that's it. No pepper. No rose. Nothing special.

Tea for Two by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Upon first applying this, I smelled pepper, charred food, bitter tea and eucalyptus (Bengay?). I thought, "NO WAY" and was surprised by all the rave reviews by people whose taste I usually share. An hour later however, my wrist smells like tobacco, black tea and musk. One thing I love about L'Artisan is that even if I don't particularly care for the scent, I appreciate its quality, complexity and ability to evolve on the skin. I could see myself sharing a bottle of this with my husband.

Bois Farine by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This perfume pretty much remained the same from application to the end. Dabbed on, it lasted 3-4 hours. The main notes I picked up were iris and cedar; in other words, the perfume smelled like lavender baby lotion and cedarwood. Not that I'm complaining--it's a lovely fragrance. I'll keep the sample (and maybe even order another when I'm done), but I probably wouldn't buy a whole bottle.

Fleur de Thé Rose Bulgare by Creed

After smelling this, I died and went to rose heaven (where I am writing this). In rose heaven, everyone wears this scent. We live in houses filled with deeply colored roses, we walk on rose petals and we enjoy serenity 24/7. I purchased a ticket to rose heaven on the 'bay for $220, and I'll never return home.

29th March, 2007

Stella by Stella McCartney

This is a great, easy-to-wear rose scent that, in my opinion, is simple enough to wear for all occasions, yet has just enough amber-y depth to keep it interesting. There was very little "powder" in the drydown for which I was grateful. I wish the staying power were better (I bought the EDP), but since I like to change scents so often throughout the day, I'm okay with it. If you want it to last longer, I suppose you could layer a rose and/or amber-scented lotion underneath.

21st March, 2007

Paul Smith Floral by Paul Smith

Reminds me of a cross between Creed's Spring Flower and Givenchy's Amarige. Floral and fruity, but with no powder or vanilla notes (on me, anyway). Great staying power. The bottle is hideous. Notes include: sweet orange, pink grapefruit, fresh ginger, water lily, white magnolia, orchid, and osmanthus with base notes of wood, amber, musk and tonka bean. I can definately pick up the floral and fruit notes...the woods are subtle enough to add a little depth.

Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker

This perfume, like the name, is indeed a "lovely" floral/musk with decent staying power. Unfortunately, it's a little too "nice girl" for me...I prefer something edgier. Try it, though--it's very pretty.

Fracas by Robert Piguet

Blech. This smelled on me like those little pink balls of soap you can get for your guest bathroom. All I could smell was soap, soap, soap. Too bad...I had high hopes for this one.