Reviews by lwe

Escada Homme by Escada

Loud and powdery for the first hour. Then it quiet downs, revealing a lovely set of base notes. Good stuff, especially for the price. Use sparingly.
16th April, 2009

Monocle Scent One: Hinoki by Comme des Garons

To my nose, this scent starts out much like Gucci pour Homme. But where GPH soon leans toward amber, vetiver, and musk , Hinoki doesn't budge. Three hours on and it still smells exactly like it did when I first applied it. It's a pleasant, if monotonous, incense/cedar/pine accord. Good sillage and lasting power.

07th April, 2009

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

I like GPH I/II better. There is one note in the beginning that reminds me of Platinum Egoiste (I'm a big fan), but I'm instantly distracted by something screechy and nauseating - a high pitch flower scent drowning out a more or less pleasant wood background. Lasts for days on my clothes. Unfortunately.
16th March, 2009

Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne

I came to men's fragrance by way of Gucci pour Homme, which I initially loved. However, I've since come to detect the dreaded eau de hamster cage/pencil shavings that some have noted, and now I find it off-putting--especially when I smell it on others. For me, Isfarkand is a promising alternative. It has the pepper and the cedar, and the vetiver but, instead of hamster, uses lime and citrus. It has something of L'Air du Desert Marocain, though the basenotes are less sweet than Andy Tauer's much admired creation. Staying power is good and projection is wide--1-2 sprays max...
27th November, 2007

Rochas Lui by Rochas

Does anyone else see the similarity between Rochas Lui and Terre d'Hermes? The bitter orange in the top notes of each reminds me of the way oranges smell after they've been left in the garbage for days in the hot sun. Based on the reviews in Basenotes, I was really prepared to like these fragrances, but they left me utterly disappointed.

31st March, 2007

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

I came to Gucci Pour Homme II expecting something a little sweeter than Gucci Pour Homme I, but this was not the case. The new manifestation is really a different breed, one that, for me, contains none of the intoxicating distinctions of its predecessor. Overall, it the sweet and powdery notes were too strong.

I am curious to see how others respond. For me it was a disappointment, but then again my expectations were high.

La Base for Him by Magic Helvetia

I liked this scent in theory--generally I tend toward natural woodsy / earthy smells--but in practice it was harsh and synthetic smelling. I was surprised to hear that it is one of the more popular men's frags at luckyscent.

Jungle pour Homme by Kenzo

I found this scent supremely repugnant, a combination of bug spray and urinal cake. One spray will last and last, but in this case that's not a good thing.

Terre d'Herms by Herms

This my first review, so please bear with any terminological shakiness or imprecision.

I both like and dislike this edt, though I think more the latter.

Here is what I like: the woodsy, peppery undertones that emerge during the drydown.

Here is what I don't like: the sour, orange bite that is most present in the beginning but, on my skin at least, never quite leaves.

Though it is better than many I have tried, I don't think I make this Hermes one of my standards.
13th March, 2007