Reviews by tessera

tessera's avatar
    tessera

Parure by Guerlain

This went on lovely on me, all delicate fruity florals. Dry down, however, was a tragedy. The whole delicate balance fell into a sharp, medicinal powdery tangle, much like medicated foot powder.

Chamade by Guerlain

Starts out dreadful, powdery, sharp, like medicated foot powder, but dries down to a creamy, slightly old-fashioned powdery floral. Nice and pretty after that initial awful blast.

Vol de Nuit by Guerlain

Very old fashioned chypre. Greenish, slightly mildewy, must be the galbanum—and powdery, in the way associated with sweet little old ladies. Very dated, and not in a nice way. On the other hand, my sister can wear it without the overwhelming powdery gagging mildew, so perhaps it is all down to chemistry after all. As far as my chemistry is concerned, Vol de Nuit and me are not friends.

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Soft, powdery, feminine. Very like Emeraude and L’Aimant in feeling, though a bit less powder. Still, feels slightly old fashioned by dint of the powder and probably the sheer mass of years little old ladies have been wearing it. Does not smell as exotic as it sounds. More benzion and tonka come through on full dry down. I like this a lot for the soft almost opoponax feeling and have bought a full bottle. It is a favorite and while it isn't the sadly mysterious "Blue Hour" I had hoped for, it is definitely a lovely, evocative scent.

Après L'ondée by Guerlain

Lovely, delicate creamy violet. Woody and clear, it dries down to an almost ice-cream smoothness. Unfortunately, the EDT fades very quickly.

Opoponax by Ava Luxe

I actually do get the resiny opoponax out of this one. It's a warm, rich scent that probably shines best in fall. Definitely worth a try if you're looking for an opoponax with a little more character than just resin in oil.

Very Irrésistible for Men by Givenchy

Opens with every single note clearly definted, which is strange because mint and sesame shouldn't be in the same latte as mocha and musk. The second stage is just like deodorant soap, clean, bright and very fake, but this passes quickly and ends in a drydown of a strangely peaceful marraige of grapefruit, mocha and mint. I really can't tell why this even works, but on me it does and I love it.

Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin by Lolita Lempicka

First blast is green and anise, very strongly. The next stage I get is a lovely tobacco-like texture that melts into Praline and Vetiver over vanilla musk. Ignore the au Masculin bit: Women can definitely wear this too and it's far nicer than the little-girl women's version.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This one can definitely be unisex. I don't think it's sex in a bottle, either, but it's got a great dry down, green, woody, vetiver. It goes through the top, mid, base stages very clearly, and is a lovely clean, fragrance that wears on female skin very well, without being too masculine.

L'Eau D'Issey by Issey Miyake

The EdT didn't offend me as it seems to have so many others. The dry down ends on mostly Tuberose, very white floral that reminds me of a more expensive and richer Jessica McClintock. And it lasts for absolutely ever, whether you like it or not. If you like pale florals, this is a good one to sample.

Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel by Thierry Mugler

Both the Violet and Rose versions of Angel have a component that smells distinctly like body odor on me. It might be the courmarin, don't know. Without that note, I really love the Violet, but I just can't get past the feeling that I've blown through my deodorant. Angel Rose doesn't even make it to dry down on me before I'm scrubbing it off.
    Guess I'll stick with the original and Innocent (watered down and bland, but very nice anyway.)

19 June, 2007

Poison by Christian Dior

Somehow this always reminds me of grape KoolAid. Not a bad scent, but very dated to my nose. I smell this and it's the 80s all over again. Not sure that's a good thing, either.

10th June, 2007

Coup de Fouet by Caron

My husband doesn't like my other carnation scents but this one is okay with him, which pleases me very much. (I have a lot of perfumes I wear to work when he doesn't have to smell them on me) Coup de Fouet is a wonderful, strong hot and spicy carnation scent. If you like carnations, this one is a knock out, assuming it works with your skin chemistry. Gorgeous.

N'Aimez Que Moi by Caron

I'm afraid I got nothing but Liddle Kiddles...does anyone else remember those little scented dolls? This is powdery, oversweet and very young. My husband said 'Yuk.' It's not actually offensive, but I definitely don't want to smell like I'm five years old. I detect nothing sophisticated or elegant about this. Makes me sad: It's another historical scent that just smells outdated on my skin. Glad the others here have found it more pleasing.

Narcisse Noir by Caron

If I liked orange blossom, this would be lovely. I don't like orange blossom at all, and that's all I get; powdery soft floral and nothing else. I was hoping for more guts and incense, but I get orange blossom. Definitely try the sample size of this one before buying the whole bottle.

Blue Waltz by Joubert

Apparently widely available in the 50's at the five and dime stores, so everyone had it back then. It smells alarmingly like Love's Baby Soft to me (another drug store scent. Very young, as in 10 year old girls playing grown up with girl perfume, powdery and soft. It's not a dreadful scent as many online memoires indicate, but it's definitely not what I'd term true perfume. It's more like the play perfume you get in the sets with plastic lipstick, flavored lipgloss and 'diamond' jewelry.

02 June, 2007

Shisha by Ava Luxe

Tabac, Honey , Raisin , Aubepine, Indian jasmine , Amber, Sandalwood, Spices
    Incense, Musk

I get the honeyed tobacco, amber and musk in a lovely, gentle meditative dry down, which is nice, since it starts out like an ashtray. There is no really smoke at the end though. Its a very edible scent but lacks any real tobacco power. Still very nice.

Love's True Bluish Light by Ava Luxe

I don't know about cuddly, but it's definitely an approachable fragrance. Not so sweet as to be girly, and not quite an ice cream scent, it's still the heart and soul of vanilla with just enough amber and musk to make it sexy. But not too sexy. There's still alot of vanilla there. Still, a wonderful white scent.

Silk / Peau de Soie by Ava Luxe

Woody with spice and cream. The cedarwood is very prominent, but somehow toned down by whatever else they put in here. It's elegant wood, dressed up, as Caitha says, and with a high polish. I'd expect silk to be more soft and flowing, but this is an excellent fragrance nonetheless, especially if you are fond of woody spice that is still somehow feminine. A strange but noteable accomplishment.

Film Noir by Ava Luxe

Wow. I wanted to like this just for the name and the scent description, but it is pure Rabbits on me. I'll explain: My friend has pet rabbits and the house often smells pleasantly like alfalfa hay, warm silky fur and a touch of rabbit feces (just a touch, and they're hay eaters, so it's alot like faint horse) This is all Film Noir did on me. Rabbits. Not offensive or bad, just very very weird and not something I want to walk around smelling like. I'm going to give my sample to my rabbit-owning friend.

Dark Chypre / Chypre Noir by Ava Luxe

A blast of bright soap dries down to a grassy green inhale of spring day. Almost like a men's cologne, it reminds me of something I can't quite place. Still a very cool, pleasing scent that makes me want to inhale endlessly. Not sure I can wear this myself, but I'd probably follow a guy down the street if he had this on.

Insensé Ultramarine for Her by Givenchy

Aquatic floral with a sharp woody note to give it that 'incense' quality. I agree with castorpollux: Another mall-girl scent.

Cuir Venenum 03 by Parfumerie Generale

This smelled so overwhelmingly of orange blossom that I never did find any other notes in it. From the other reviews, there are leather notes, and the name certainly suggests it, but you couldn't tell from my experience.

Impérial Opoponax by Les Néréides

Lovely lasting resinous myrrh. Not sweet precisely, but rich and elegant. I agree completely with Zenobia on the 1920's fancy dinner scent description: It's easily a formal, but also wears well during the work day if you use it sparingly. Benzion, sandalwood and citrus give it a slight masculine tone that still sits well on female skin. Amber and Vanilla round out the base. I love to wear this between my breasts (sorry, overshare, I know) so that it rises gently up to me all day. Gorgeous scent.

Idole de Lubin by Lubin

Idole smells like a 70s guy about midway through the disco. There's a slightly sour note that might be the saffron and bitter orange together, and a sweat edge that says he needs to change his shirt. Smoke and a certain 'cologne' note from the sandalwood and rum complete the picture of polyester-clad, slightly ripe dude rocking out to the glitter ball music. It's not an all-out gross sweat scent, but there's definitely a fragrance portrait here that has zero appeal for me.

PS Onyx by Paul Sebastian

Powerful start,very aggressive and spicy, then drying down to peppery bergamot with a strong solid base of woods, with the vetiver topmost. An active, very alive men's scent that makes me think of guys in expensive suits around a polished wood table negotiating some major deal with the window open and the sunny breeze filling the conference room.

Frapin 1270 by Frapin

This ends much more woody on me than leathery, which is a shame, as I'm looking for a nice buttery leather scent. Still, a fragrance of amazing character and complexity, mature in that black-tie, classy, sexy way that's more James Bond or Frank Sinatra than mature as in your folks. Well worth a look in for someone looking for a gourmand-type that still somehow smells black tie.

Realities (original) by Liz Claiborne

Day Wedding scent. Delicate light floral that would offend no one and smells like pastel formals. Would maybe work for a tea party, but is more dressed up than that, yet strangely plain. Mother of the Bride perhaps.

Mitsouko by Guerlain

MItsouko fit the bill of what I am looking for: A layered, complex scent with excellent pedigree and a history. Too bad it's so plain on me. Faintly oriental on first application, she dries down quickly to a almost invisible waft of spikey wood. There's no depth and no life to this scent once it hits my skin. My sister had better luck and perhaps orientals just work on her and not on me, but she at least had more layers. Still, this is not as elegantly layered as I had hoped. I'm so sorry to give it a neutral rating.

Byblos (original) by Byblos

Oddly, I wear this at Christmas only. Perhaps the Mandarin with the incensy dry down in the vetiver and orris make me think of this holiday, but it's my Christmas season fragrance. Then again, Christmas in Seattle tends to be gray and drizzly, and this scent does brighten things up.