Reviews by tessera

tessera's avatar
    tessera

Jean Nate by Revlon

This will always be a powerful lemon scent in my memory. There may have been other notes in there, but the overwhelming lemon silmoultaneously reminds of sunlight and little girls playing dress up. I'm not sure if that's what I want to smell like anymore. I don't detect the 'french' element that flathorn speaks of, but it's possible my nose shut down after the first blast of lemon. Ah, well. It's undoubtedly a happy fragrance.

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

Lovely opening, disappointing dry down. I don't know what's in this, but the creamy, rich, velvet opening ended up a two-note floral on me: Tuberose or possibly Gardenia and something a little White Shoulders underneath. Nice and rounded, but boring, with many 'o's. Boooorrriinnggg.

Obsession Night by Calvin Klein

Sweet, smooth, round. The original Obsession is a long bad memory for me, but this has none of that in it. I get vanilla without the powdery tones, amber without the sour notes and a flirt of sandalwood to keep it from being just a bed of little-girl vanilla. Not too sweet, not too bland, this would be an excellent day-scent on the right skin.

Brit Red by Burberry

I actually love gourmands, but the rhubarb in this does nasty things on my skin. Like black currant, sometimes this note just doesn't agree with the others, and I found an unpleasant dirt-like note in this one. From the other reviews here, it's obvious I'm in the minority, but definitely try this one on your skin before buying the bottle.

Skin Bracer by Mennen

This will always smell like clean man to me. Definitely a bright scent, and you need the right attitude. Alpha dogs only should apply. If you are uncertain, it will wear you and smell cheap.

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

The old version of this was fantastic. Sexy, male, alpha. And I could wear it, too, so it wasn't exclusive to male skin. (very spicy citrus on me, a great summer scent without any girly powder or fru-fru floral. Refreshing.)

The new version IS different and not nearly as nice. Still fresh and clean, it's very much lacking something. I miss the original.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Men's scents work better on my sister's skin, so I tested this one out on myself. That initial note is indeed a lot like cleaner-I suspect it's the lavender and peppermint together. Then it fades off very fast and I get a vanilla patchouli so dried down that it's a velvety, chocolate/sandalwood. Since I hate patchouli, this is a plus. It's lovely, warm and attractive. I would snuggle up to a man wearing this.

Shocking by Elsa Schiaparelli

Heavy on the spices, drying down to intense, wonderful incense. Too bad about the civet. I have a moral objection to anything that tortues an animal so I can smell nice. I live in hope that Schiaparelli will answer my email by telling me that they have achieved this exact same wonderful perfume with a comparable synthetic...(yes, I know that's unlikely, but one can hope.)

Indiscret by Lucien Lelong

For years, I have only smelled this in a vintage bottle. It's notes are Mandarin, orange flower, bergamot, orchid, neroli, iris, mostly becoming orange flower and bergamot on dry down. The vintage version is a somewhat resinous mixture, but is very warm and pleasant, like lying in the sun near rock rose in spring. Not that it smells of rock rose, but the resin is in there somewhere.

Recently, I got ahold of some of those little ampules from the 1950s and sampled Indiscret again, this time with less aging. It's still lovely, but the fresher sample lacked the resinous edge, coming out as a light, crisp summer scent softened by the Neroli. If there's Iris in there, it's buttery, not green, and any Orchid is simply another layer in the build. Not entirely orange blossom, but something more like a bouquet of fresh golden-toned flowers on a clear day.

I recommend this one in any form, so long as the vintage hasn't turned off. (Huge bottles are still available on ebay) Also of note; if Shalimar goes too powdery on your skin, this will too. All my notes on this experiment are based on my sister's chemistry, as I have never been able to wear Shalimar or Indiscret. She can wear both and Indiscret has been a favorite of hers for years.

Shalimar by Guerlain

I cannot wear Shalimar. She opens beautifully, delicate, warm and airy all at once, then settles down to powder. I'm not a fan of the powdery fragrances; they smell like little old ladies to me, and this one becomes powdery on my skin almost instantly. If I put my nose to my wrist, I can detect lovely, warm vanilla with a rich layer of opoponax, but out where it can be smelled faintly by others in my personal space, it smells like somebodies nan. This will never be for me.

Tigress by Fragrances of France

Way too musky and growling when I was a little girl, but still smelled great. Would be a much better scent now in my adult years. I remember it as a golden musk with some floral edge, but mostly as musk. It was my idea of what a sexy, seductress would wear. (but I was pretty young then. Would have to smell it again.)

Tabu by Dana

You either love this or you hate it. As a child, I used to sniff this for hours, but somewhere along the way it got so that a little whiff made me feel a bit ill. I recently tried again and got the same reaction. It's a very dense fragrance and once you've maxed out your tolerance for it, it's all over. I can see where people really like this one and it is very sexy, but I also agree that it is sexy in a sleazy way. There are sexy perfumes that don't make me think of an unwashed prostitute.

That said, it won't smell like that on everyone. I will, however, continue to avoid this like a plague.

Intoxication by D'Orsay

I tried this out of a vintage ampule. It is a lovely light orangey floral, very reminiscent of L'Aimant on my skin. L'Aimant was my first perfume, so unfortunately this also reminds me of being about 9 years old, and while that's not a bad thing, the scent is a little young for me now. Fragrance notes are reported as: Citron, Mandarain, Bergamot, Ylang Ylang, Rose. There is probably also sandalwood and a light vanilla in the base, which generally turns powdery on me.

Worth a try if you like the older Cotys and can find it.

22 May, 2007

Champs-Elysées by Guerlain

I want to love this, and it's possible I might in the EdP, but I have the EdT which has zero staying power. After about twenty minutes there's nothing to detect. I might as well be sniffing my watch band.
    What I can detect is a lovely, clear floral with that honey touch you get in a lot of mimosas. The almond seems to leave a nice base (for 19 minutes and 55 seconds...) Sigh. Will have to hunt out the parfum.

18 May, 2007

Samsara by Guerlain

Is it tarragon I'm smelling? The first blast of this hit me like a fist in the nose and I gave an involuntary 'yuk!'. Dry down was much better, with soft vanilla and sandalwood, but overall, Mitsouko seems a more blended, harmonious mixture. Probably great on some women, but it's never gonna work on me.

10th May, 2007

Nuit de Noël by Caron

I wanted to love this on me. My mother wears it as her Black Tie scent and has for 40 years. My sister can wear Tabac Blonde in all it's glory. I want a Caron to call my own and cannot seem to find one. Nuit de Noel on my mother is a gentle, elegant, truly classy perfume that smells historic but also timelessly beautiful. On my skin it turns sharp, then tar-like, then powdery. I ran for the sink. This was two days back, when, thinking the last time I'd tried it on, I was 12, so maybe my chemistry has changed.

Not enough, I guess. Lucky you, those of you who can wear this. It is beauty distilled on the right woman.

10th May, 2007

Geisha Rouge by Aroma M

The opening notes of this one smelled horrible on me. There was a touch of public restroom scent, complete with the person who missed the porcelain. Then it dried down to a soft, spicy cinnamon. The Big Red gum edge never quite went away, but it was a pleasant, warm mix of tonka and cinnamon and possibly tobacco.

Still, I don't like the end enough to wait through the dreadful opening.

Divine by Divine

Soft without the remotest touch of that dreaded powder edge I can't wear. I have to use the cliche and say 'lyrical,' because it is. Layered, subtle and elegant.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Jaisalmer by Comme des Garçons

Smells exactly like clear-burning pine resin incense. There's a slightly metallic edge on dry down on my skin, but the overall effect is exactly what I'd hoped for: the scent of incense. So far no other incense type fragrances have captured this so well for me. (Though I undesttand that that could also be dependant on the type of incense I was expecting to smell.)

parfums*PARFUMS Series 2 Red: Carnation by Comme des Garçons

The carnation I've been looking for forever. It's spicy and clean and a tiny bit creamy and smells nothing like the plastic scents I've come across. A true, wonderful winner.

Onyx by Sage Machado

Maybe coconut will always remind me of suntan lotion, but if that's the case, this is the sexiest, smokiest suntan lotion out there. Tovah is utterly correct in her assessment. The only thing I would add is perhaps a vision of a gorgeous woman walking barefoot on the beach in an evening gown with her sandals in her hand or perhaps a veiled arabian dancer with her dark eyes reflecting the colored lights from a pierced gold lamp. Something like that.

Exotic, sexy, dark coconut.

02 May, 2007

Curve Kicks for Women by Liz Claiborne

Mandarin and vetiver are the overall screaming top notes I get on application, then it dries down sharp and stays that way. I expected a much fruitier, clear floral, but it's way too sharp for me. Maybe someone with different chemistry will wear this one as a bright summer casual.

Vintage Soul by Curve by Liz Claiborne

Bright fruit and green flowers with a dusty, sharp patchouli base. Dries down to a more mellow vanilla and citrus scent with that "sneezy" note misspring mentions, and which I suspect is the patchouli

Curve Chill for Women by Liz Claiborne

Bright, fresh and foody, but a touch of bug-spray in the dry down. Ginger, citrus and green tea with sweet pea underneath. Total ten minute dry down just fine.

Very light, very unoffensive. A perfume as casual as the price it costs, which isn't a bad deal

Curve Crush for Women by Liz Claiborne

Opening richness of citrus and very clearly Chai, dry down to a clear vanilla-musk with faint touches of summer flowers. This is a summer bare-skin type scent on me. I only wish it lasted longer.

Angel by Thierry Mugler

The opening notes all clash horribly, then it begins to dry down to a bright, warm comfortable place. I honestly don't get chocolate out of this after that first nose-punching blast where it's arguing with the mandarin. Dry down is vanilla without the cream and sugar (thank God), a breath of sweet patchouli and a little whisp of mandarin, I suppose: whatever that whisp is smells slightly floral so who knows where that's coming from.

I agree with Tovah that it's very much a summer scent. I don't wear it in winter either. And I personally abhor patchouli in all forms. Once again, who knows why this form works on me? It just does.

Lolita Lempicka by Lolita Lempicka

I bought this unsmelled just on the scent breakdown. I was disappointed when it hit my skin. It smells like watery, vanilla soaked violets, which would be great if there was personality. It has none on me. This dries down to pleasant, mediocre mall-scent on me. Oh well.

Curve for Women by Liz Claiborne

Curve dries down to a citrusy, cool aquatic on me. It's nice, but I prefer less citrus. Crush or Chill are much nicer and seem more layered.

Arpège by Lanvin

I have to agree with treazurekitten on the leathery quality. Arpege starts strong on me and dries down to a very soft and subtle leather-with-flowers scent. I'm honestly not sure I like it or not. It's a tar-like leather, very resinous and dark, with that clinging sweet waft of floral. It's definitely what I'd call a historic scent and it lasts FOREVER. A dot of EDP put on in the morning lasted all day, through my evening shower and into the next morning.

Boucheron by Boucheron

This one went smokey like an ashtray on me. Not sure what happened there, but it was pretty awful. Contrarily, my friend who smokes loves it and it's very nice on her skin. Men ask her what she's wearing, they like it so much. As a side note, this friend also often refers to herself as 'an old lady.' (not quite the case, but I found that amusing after reading the reviews that call this an old lady perfume.)