Reviews by rickie

rickie's avatar
    rickie

Chimera by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Chimera is the sister to Snake Oil. I love both.

21st April, 2011

Tzadikim Nistarim by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Smells great. Kinda errie...Frankencense, olive, hyssop, spikenard and galangal. Mmm.

19th April, 2011

In Bloom by Reese Witherspoon by Avon

I like this...but it has a stange smelling note in it. I wish I knew what it is.

05th January, 2011

Chloé (new) by Chloé

I sniffed the sprayer on the bottle and thought, this smells nice. I guess I was thinking that the sweetness would come thru during drydown or something. I was wrong. This smells like a cheap white floral that stays the same thru drydown. I was horrified at how much it cost, and I believe this is by Coty now. So Karl must have sold the name only to Coty because it smells nothing like the originial.

25th September, 2010

No. 5 by Chanel

I love the Edp....Its stronger and richer than the Edt. But I have to admit, I acquired a taste for this (or smell, if you will) and also, since I purchased this on Ebay, I am not sure how old it is. I have a new bottle that was purchased and they both have a similar smell so I would say its fresh and vintage. One thing I have learned, if you buy a vintage perfume, you should buy a perfume that is either in dark container or a perfume that has been stored in its own box. They keep well that way and won't smell like alchohol. Anyway back to No 5. I feel this is a safe fragrance. I have some that would probably offend some one who can't stand fragrance at work. Cathedral, by Bpal is one. I absolutely adore this incensey perfume oil, but I could see someone &%$@#ing about it at work. Don't you hate that?? So go lightly. Also I seen the movie "Coco before Chanel" which is all in French and you have to read it, but it is really good. I came to appreciate Chanel and all her earlier fragrances after seeing this movie. She was a conservative in the way she liked to dress. Sometimes at work I liked to dress somewhat "manly" I call it. Dress pants, vest, tie, jacket and victorian boots witha low heel. Oh and a watch and fob. With Chanel no 5 to complete the look. Yeah.

17th August, 2010

Ciara by Revlon

This was my signature scent in 1974 and for a few years after. I loved this so much. I bought it in the bottle and then for my purse, they sold a little bottle that was printed with the same as the box. I guess it was metal. I can't find this at all, and I've searched ebay alot. Anyway, what a beautiful scent, and in 1974 I believe it was so rich and expensive smelling. A lot of my friends were asking what is that fragrance you are wearing. Then I would smell it on them. Which I didn't mind. I do believe that a fragrance changes somewhat on the person who is wearing it. Haven't you ever smelled someone and loved the way they smell and bought the same stuff, only to find that it changed on you, maybe not for the better? Some say a signature scent is what a scent does with your body chemistry. Ciara did just that for me. I am so glad they still make it or is sold on the internet. I always keep a bottle, tho, I don't wear it everyday anymore.

Intimate by Revlon

I wish I knew the notes for this. I had some of this in the old days. I still have a couple of old bottles that I purchased from Ebay. It really does smell devine. The only bad thing I have noticed about buying the vintage bottles is it doesnt last at all. Whatever they put in the perfumes to make it last must go away after so many years. But, they were so cheap, it is worth it to go down memory lane, huh?

Chantilly by Dana

If you havent tried the real Chantilly by Houbigant, you are missing out. It has a real spicey dry down that is just awesome. It doesnt last a real long time, but it is worth getting a bottle on Ebay and trying it. It was darker and richer than the modern version by Dana.

Tabu by Dana

Oh boy, everyone has commented on this one. I had an aunt that always had a bottle of this on her dresser. I never touched it, but did wonder.....later on in the 1970's I purchased some, I thought it was nice enough, but it never blew me over or anything. Then I got my hands on a vintage bottle. I was so surprised, it is spicey and warm, a little floral, a really expensive smelling, put together perfume! I hate it when they "reformulate" perfumes. If its not broke don't fix it. Now, I don't want to offend anyone who is wearing todays formula. It is true, that a fragrance smells really good on some, and not on others.

L'Origan by Coty

Smells somewhat like L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain, but L'origan Vintage form smells much better. Right now this is my passion. I have a couple of vintage bottles, one being EDP. Geez, this couldnt be any better. I just wish the bottle was bigger. This is awesome. I believe L'origan means The Golden. (not sure) And according to the Perfume Genealogy list, L'heure Bleue was developed after, maybe to try to copy it somewhat. Coty had some winning perfumes. The vintage ones are the best.

20th September, 2009 (Last Edited: 27th January, 2010)

Velvet Tuberose by Bath and Body Works

You know, I kinda like this.... This might sound crazy but I think it smells similar to Juicy Coutour (Spelling?) Any way, It is sweet, but not at all like Fracas or Jo Malones Tuberose, which I was hoping for more Tuberose in this as a cheaper alternative. But it is nice and very affordable.

19th September, 2009

Snake Oil by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

I crave this. This is a wierd vanilla scent. bpal states this is their most popular scent. I can see why. Read lookingglass' review, she describes it beautifully.

Debauchery by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

I love Debauchery.....I have a very old/vintage bottle of Tabu and this smells just like it. So, if you like Vintage Tabu go get a bottle of Debauchery. The lab says it has in it, Civet, Egyptian musk, and opium. mmmm.

Antique Lace by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

Lookingglass, I love your picture! Anyway, where was I.....Antique Lace was my first purchase from Bpal, without ever smelling it, just from a review here. I was not dissappointed. I will always keep a bottle of this too. Its very feminine, dried flowers, old linen, musky scent. mmmmm

Anne Bonny by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

This is a softer version of Cathedral, which I also love. Anne Bonny could be worn in the warmer months, but Cathedral is too strong. I save it for winter.

Cathedral by Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab

OMG...if you never tried a dark, incensey, musty fragrance, please try this. I absolutely love this stuff. Don't use too much or you'll get sick to your stomach. Its strong and has great sillage. Lasts a long time. I have to be in mood for this, tho. If you can believe it, I am more of a floral person, but when I received this, it just knocked me off my feet. It is a religious experience.

Mon Peche / My Sin by Long Lost Perfume

I bought 2 bottles of extrait on Ebay. I love this, but I wish I could get it in Vintage "Fresh". The reason is....when I first put this on, a fragrance note jumps out at me, like Tuberose or maybe its the Jasmine or Muguet, but it doesnt last long. Then it turns to a dull kinda spicey scent. I am wondering if I could have smelled it in 1924 would I have that first note a little longer. You know, with buying the vintage, it has fermented along time. But, anyway, I love it and Arpege. Now Arpege does stay floral alot longer than My Sin. But that strange floral note in My Sin isn't in Arpege. In fact, it almost reminds me of Fracas, then its gone, and changes.

Jovan Woman by Jovan

An Exotic blend of spices, orange flower, and ylang-ylang highlight this extraordinary bouquet. Exotic spices of nutmeg and coriander accent the sultry woody ambered base.
    I really like this...but, something in rings a cheap ingredient. I don't know. Maybe its the nutmeg. What in the world does nutmeg smell like in a cologne? I am giving it a thumbs up because I am sure this could be a nice fragrance on the right person.

Andron For Women by Jovan

Why on Gods green earth would they discontinue such a wonderful cologne?? I not just imagining this. Before it was totally gone, they would offer it at the discount stores at Christmas time. I had a co worker walk by and I new immediately that she was wearing Andron. She told me she had bought it at Christmas and was milking it. This was suppose to send out your personal Pheromones or something like that, and it sure did work. This stuff was nothing like anything else. :-P to Jovan

Galanos by Galanos

This reminds me of a more refined Tabu....the Vintage of course, not that reformulated stuff. Anyway, it only reminds me of it, as Galanos has a floral drydown. It is really nice....I can't understand why the good ones get discontinued. I love this!

Joop! Homme by Joop!

Wonderful! Smells like heaven. I believe male or female could use this.

L'Heure Bleue by Guerlain

Well, on me this turns to a weird smell of "buttered Popcorn" I know. But, I am not giving up on it. Ten years from now, I'll probably love it. Right now I am going with a neutral review. In case your wondering: I've tried EDT, EDP & Parfum. Nothing changes.

Extravagance D'Amarige by Givenchy

This smells like Vanderbilt, but its much better. Too bad they discontinued it. Booh!

Jaïpur Saphir by Boucheron

I have to agree...this is very girly. I guess the only thing is, I wish it had more staying power.

Unspoken by Avon

Not real flowery, I don't know the notes, but its a nice fragrance, and has staying power.

Joop! Femme by Joop!

Who could not like this. Is it a Floral or a musk? I can't decide. I just know its very unique and I love it. Has the Femme been discontinued? I can only find the male version of this, which is ok. I feel these are unisex fragrances.

12th November, 2008

Le Jardin by Eden Classics

Very nice, brings back memories. Soft, feminine and the advertizement had Jane Seymour in it. It said, "if you want romance to come on strong, you have to come on soft."

05th November, 2008

Vanderbilt by Gloria Vanderbilt

I also like Vanderbilt. I also noticed when I bought a bottle of Extravagance by Givency that it smelled alike to me. The notes might explain it.
    Vanderbilt: Top notes: Aldehyde, bergnot oil, green notes, lavender, orange blossom, pineapple.
    Middle notes: Carnation, Jasmine, orris, rose tuberrose, ylang-ylang
    Base notes: Cinnamon, civet, musk, opoponax, sandal, vanilla & vetiver.
    Extravagance by Givency notes are:
    Top notes: Green madarin, Tagete, Pink peppercorn.
    Middle notes: Jasmine, orange blossom, violet leaves
    Base notes: Sandlewood, cedarwood, musk, ambrox.
    Personally, I think Extravagance is more refined and I perfer it, but if you can't find it, choose Vanderbilt.

05th November, 2008

Paris Hilton by Paris Hilton

FROZEN APPLE? what is that?? I agree with lavenderose.
    I searched frags with Tuberose because I wanted to see which ones pop up. I have already reviewed Fracas, which I use to wear in the early 70's. What has happened to Fracas????? Burning rubber is what I smell. Well, back to Paris, Brittany, etc. I guess the exception would be David Beckham, that smelled pretty good, but I haven't worn it, so I dont know.

11th January, 2008

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

carl999, I think if you like it, you should wear it. Me...I don't like this on me, but strangely enough, I like some of the other orientals, especially Imari, by Avon. I just wish they would make this in a strong perfume. I like Cinnabar, its ok.

11th January, 2008