Reviews by lightsight

lightsight's avatar
    lightsight

Paul Smith Rose by Paul Smith

10 years ago my rose scent of choice was True Love by Elizabeth Arden. I gave up accords after that while in pursuit of the magical cocktails that could evoke fantastical memories and situations. Therefore I was surprised when, while looking at Paul Smith's Story, I decided to sample Rose. I purchased Rose and Marc Jacobs Essence at the same time, which speaks volumes about the change in attitude of a woman who usually wears Escada Magnetism and Angel Schlesser [oriental edition... yes, homme!]. Rose is delicate, not simple and miles ahead of True Love. Read the story of how it was created on the Paul Smith website. They use ScentTrek, which uses scent analyzing technology to replicate the smell. Other notes in this perfume are magnolia, Turkish rose, green tea and violets, musk and cedar.

Armani Attitude by Giorgio Armani

We got this as the shop didn't stock Angel Schlesser and they brought out the big book of families and reported this scent to be in the same category. It was nice and probably works well for the unobtrusive male. The original Angel Schlesser doesn't do it for me either... I quite like the bottle design. It's practical with the flip top for travelling. I bought this for another friend who reported that he didn't enjoy the intial smell - too much like walking into a chemist... but the heart was quite enjoyable.

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

It doesn't age well. I picked up half a bottle of this at a tester sale and it has developed what I call the Skink Stink. At a department store when the product is fresh I can definitely smell the green apples which is lively and exciting but it doesn't replicate well on the skin. Cheap skin lotion from the chemist does the job better for that fruity feel. While it is not awful, I just can't justify spending full price on this perfume when there are so many other fragrances I want. All I am grateful for is that I picked it up cheap as the bottle is definitely cute.

Angel Garden Of Stars - Violet Angel by Thierry Mugler

I love the original Angel and am a sucker for reiterations so got Peony and Violet. Peony is the better of the two with a more exotic twist. Violet is harmless and a less out there version of Angel.

Murmure by Van Cleef & Arpels

WHITE WHITE WHITE... It has done away with any romantic sensibilities. If this were a famous person in history I'd almost go with Elizabeth the Virgin Queen, ruthless and untouchable powerful woman. There is a very old Dior perfume my mother used to have which had much the same evocations (Diorissimo?? not sure). It's a floral for the strong willed, practical woman.

Marc Jacobs Essence by Marc Jacobs

I was in love with the buttery yellow bottle, although the bow looks cheaply put together. I quite liked Marc Jacobs Blush as well. This follows on with the very few feminine/demure fragrances that I allow in my collection. I was told that the scent reminded my male friend of "going to the beach". It is a sweet, carefree scent. Somewhat omnipresent but unobtrusive. It wore well when I first tried it - lingering for hours, again with that gentle reminder attitude. It's going to be the scent I wear to the office from now on. It's present enough to attract comments and says to me refined, relaxed and happy. In a way, there are some of the same feelings generated by Burberry Weekend, however Weekend was more like a ponytail, and this is more like a chignon.

FlowerbyKenzo by Kenzo

When this perfume was released I detested it. Far too powdery and overwhelming. However, later my cousin gave me the EDP in a dab on bottle. I avoided it for months, but then discovered that a mere two drops on the nap gave the most wonderously different result. It permeates gently but arousingly. Feminine, playful and uplifting. The powder is still there, which is not usually an element I enjoy, but it is augmented by the rose and violets to bring it out of the matron's water closet.

Rock Water by Un Monde Nouveau

Citrussy! Actually reminds me of Fujiyama for women. Hasn't lasted well - it's now about a decade old and quickly turns bad when applied on my skin.

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

Something about the way it smells reminds me of cola.

Light Her by Trussardi

Peachy, reminds me a lot of Laura by Laura Biagiotti.

25 by Aubusson

Utterly retro. Think flappers.

Soda Pop Fizz by Smell THIS

Soda Pop genuine!! More distinct than Yvresse, you can really get the sensation of effervescence by sniffing this one. Tingly, fruity and crisp. But yes, agreed, very sad they discontinued this. It captures the action of opening a can of soda extremely well.

Fujiyama by Succès de Paris

Fresh, gingery and distinct. Lasts well and attracts comments. Great for summery days. Very crisp.

Boudoir by Vivienne Westwood

I love the bottle but this is too extravagant for me to wear.

Calyx by Prescriptives

I loved this fragrance intensely! It's now hard to buy in Australia. Grassy, spritely, sharply sweet. It suited me on days that I was busy having fun.

Cheap and Chic by Moschino

I love the bottle but never wear the fragrance. It's heavy, musky and makes me feel dreadfully unattractive. L'Eau C&C is much better.

Magnetism by Escada

Very candy sweetness, velvety and rich. Right up there with Angel and Sicily. You only wear this to attract attention!