Reviews by colognewhore

Oud Wood by Tom Ford

Meh

I guess it's only me, but all I get from this is coconut and that kind of buttery, nutty smell I get from Tobacco Vanille after the tobacco fades. Also, I have no idea what oud smells like - coconut, perhaps?

18 July, 2013

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

Disappointing

Top: Leather

Middle: Leather and Hashish

Base: Black Orchid

18 July, 2013

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme by Guerlain

I finally got a bottle of this and, like many others, I fail to see what all the hype is about. Granted, it is a pleasant fragrance, but just that. It's a very casual smelling scent and I just don't get all of these silly restrictions people put on it; "sophisticated, mature, suit and tie, for special occasions, not for summer, blah blah blah. Whatever.

Gourmand? Nope - I don't get the cocoa smell at all. Gets noticed? Other people would have to smell it first - it's very light. The strongest part of this is the lemony note at first, and I get the anise for a short while. What follows is a very subtle, feminine, (and people say this is masculine? hah!) powdery scent that I can only detect by jamming my wrist into my nostrils. After that, nothing. It's so disappointing that it disappears before I get to experience what is supposed to follow.

13 January, 2013

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

This is simply repulsive. I can't think of any good reason why anyone would want to wear this, unless they want to reek of Sunlight dish detergent and disgust.

05 January, 2013

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I've never had any desire to try this, but the other day I got a sample of it, so I thought why not? This stuff is just awful and smells of flowers - it almost made me gag. I'm sure if I hadn't scrubbed it off, it would have given me a headache. It is supposedly popular, but I don't recall ever smelling this on anyone.

25 February, 2012

He Wood Rocky Mountain Wood by Dsquared2

I've read about this smelling like the outdoors and I have been in the Canadian Rockies and neither of them smell like this. Though it is not unpleasant, to me, it is reminiscent of a baby fresh from the bath. It smells like baby soaps, shampoos and lotions, pretty much all the way through.

25 February, 2012

Truth Calvin Klein Men by Calvin Klein

I got a couple of sample spray vials of this last week in the mail from ebay. I quite like it. I reminds me a lot of Givenchy's Greenergy. However, I prefer Greenergy, so I see no need to get a full bottle of this. Unless, of course, it's impossible to get another bottle of Greenergy. This would make a great replacement.

24 June, 2011

Burberry London for Men by Burberry

The longer into the dry down, the more this reminded me of Sung Homme - and I hate Sung Homme.

25 April, 2011

Bulgari pour Homme Soir by Bulgari

I got a sample of this a couple of weeks ago, and I must say I quite like it. I just find it hard to believe all of the comments about the longevity and projection of this. I just put 2 sprays on (just around each collar bone, from a sample vial at that) and I got I could detect it all day long - very pleasant. Another thing that I find hard to believe is that none of the previous reviewers mentioned anything about it being reminiscent of Silver Mountain Water - like a more masculine version of it. I guess ti's just me. I love it, so thumbs up!

09 April, 2011

Armani Attitude Extreme by Giorgio Armani

I got a sample of this, and when I sprayed it, I had to check the vial and make sure it didn't say "Gravity", because that is exactly what it smelled like - bleh! I left the room for a few minutes, and when I walked back in, I still smelled Gravity, so I threw it in the garbage.

03 December, 2010

Vetyver / Vétiver by Givenchy

I just bought this based on the reviews here. The opening reminds me so much of the original Msr. de Givenchy. It also smells like Guerlain's take somewhere along the way, and a powdery note at times. The dry down is pretty much what the other reviewers said - warm and woody (did they say that? I think so).
    Funny when I bought it - all of the mass-marketed, little boy colognes were right there in your face and this little gem was tucked away on a shelf behind the counter. I saw everyone cooing over all the mainstream frags, so I just asked for a spritz of this and bought it right then.
    It hasn't garnered me any compliments so far, but I don't care, it is unique and I never ever get a whiff of anybody else wearing vetiver based colognes - not even middle-aged, well-dressed businessman types. I wear cologne that I like and that I am comfortable and happy with, and when you are comfortable and happy with yourself, you exude confidence, which I think, is maybe the whole idea behind Vetyver.

30th January, 2010

Just by Just White Shirts

I found this to be somewhat reminiscent of Eternity for men. Ok, I guess.

15 July, 2007

Greenergy by Givenchy

To Greenergy fans who find this stuff hard to find, as of June 16, 2007, there were 50 x 50ml bottles of this stuff available on Ebay under the seller: universityfragrances at a great price too. Cost me 32.00 Canadian including shipping, so it will be even cheaper for Americans with the currency conversion and cheaper shipping fees. I just bought me a bottle. There are other people selling it for twice that much saying it is discontinued and rare, but it says at the top of this page it is still in production. I've never tried it before, but I know I will like it, so I give it a thumbs up already.

17 June, 2007

Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

I like it! I'm not going to comment on the individual notes and how they compliment each other and all that crap. I just think it is a great overall scent, excellent for when I don't want to give too much thought to what fragrance I will wear for the day. Clean and fresh, like I just stepped out of the shower after slathering myself with a sporty body wash.

11th June, 2007

Monsieur de Givenchy by Givenchy

Holy Citrus!! I smelled like a giant lime when I first sprayed it on. It just smacked me right in the face. Then it started to change a little after awhile, but the citrus was definitely still quite apparent. I'm no expert, so I'm not gonna try to go into detail beyond this, but I will say that I like it.

15 May, 2007

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I've had the same big ol' bottle of this since 1997 and it still smells just the same as it did back then. It's such a pleasant fragrance and one spray is quite adequate for whenever I am in the mood to wear it. If my old bottle ever runs dry, I will be sure to replace it.

02 April, 2007

Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Hmm, I just ordered a bottle of this online and it is on the way. I regret waiting until now to check out reviews on it, since reading the comparisons to CK1 (I hate that, the slightest detection of it ruins my day and any further exposure results in a headache). I was also disappointed to read the reviews that said it could be considered a uinisex frag. Not a fan of those at all. Then, I checked out Creed's website (www.parfusmscreed.com) and it is indeed a unisex frag. Oh well, I just hope it isn't too feminine or CK1-like. Keep your eyes on Ebay for a bargain, SMW lovers.

01st April, 2007

Sung Homme by Alfred Sung

I hate this! Homme??!! It smells like a bouquet of flowers...nothing masculine about it at all.

25 March, 2007

cK one by Calvin Klein

This stuff is repulsive. I can't see for the life of me how it became such a popular "fragrance" (I prefer to think of it as an offensive odor) and remain so to this day. It just disgusts me when a whiff of this wafts under my nose, and furthering my dismay, I discover the source of this nauseating stench is an attractive female.

25 March, 2007