Reviews by Kahuna Cowboy

Kahuna Cowboy's avatar
    Kahuna Cowboy

Kiss Him by KISS

This stuff is amazing! They actually nailed the scent of bad sweaty BO to a "T".

The scent pyramid should read:

Top Note: Gene Simmon's sweaty armpit
    Middle Note: Dirty jockstrap
    Base Note: Vanilla

I saw it today at Big Lots for $6 bucks for a big bottle, I can't imagine why. Ugh.

29 November, 2008

Axe Dark Temptation / Lynx Dark Temptation by Axe / Lynx

I decided to try this new body spray from Axe and it is not bad. Not great, but not bad. Chocolate dominates it at first with a slight undertone of a woodsy musk, but as usual with these body sprays they get real chemicaly real fast, and the notes of the scent are muttled into a chemical mess within minutes. It may not be too bad to layer with A*Man or Rochas though. Just beware when you spray this stuff it is like a chocolate Lysol blast that surrounds you and the area you sprayed it in for a good while.

Also one other thing I want to point out is the price, these Axe body sprays used to be in the $3.00 dollar range but now they are up to $6.00 in the Pacific NW of the USA. That puts these body sprays into the "too expensive" category for me because I don't think what you receive is worth the cost.

12 November, 2008

Acqua di Sale by Profumum

This probably has the most authentic salt water/ozone note in the history of perfumery, for better or worse. It makes me think of a dark, stormy, cold night on a harbor minus the brine smell and seagull poop.

This is not a beach fragrance, nor a vision of a Nautica ad. ADS is for the hardcore sea scent guys who care more about the authentic sea notes rather than a pretty aquatic cologne.

It's nice but not for me.

09 October, 2008

Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa by Acqua di Parma

Interesting take on a fragrance classic. It's like the original ADP meets the original Polo but much smoother and more refined than the original Polo. It opens up with the familiar bright citrus accord with a leathery and tobacco undertone and a few minutes later they become equally as strong as each other. About 2 hours in the citrus is pretty much gone and you are left with a soft, mellow leather/tobacco and spice cologne that is still very nice. By hour 5 it is pretty much gone. I like the scent, the scent life is a little disappointing however but that seems to be a problem for ADP across the board.

05 October, 2008

Axe Kilo by Axe / Lynx

I am going to go against the grain here, this stuff sucks. The scent is weak and vanilla dominates it, and by vanilla I mean the Glade air freshener type vanilla found on the top of your tank of your toilet. Voodoo and Phoenix are much better offerings.

03 October, 2008

Axe Voodoo / Lynx Voodoo by Axe / Lynx

For a body spray Voodoo is very very good. It has an interesting scent that is dark and spicy as you would expect from the name implied. Being a body spray though it lasts for about 30 minutes. So long as you go into it knowing that is what you will get out of it (deodorant and body spray) you will be happy with Voodoo. Of course that is if you can still find it, it has been discontinued.

03 October, 2008

McGraw by Tim McGraw

Mmmmm.... Milk Duds and Watermelon with a base of cedar. I don't the comparisons to anything else out there, cheap smelling and not at all what I was expecting. I was expecting leathery, soapy, and sweet tobacco, instead I got farmer's market meets the candy isle at Wal-Mart.

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

I like it, finally a manly oriental sans vanilla. Longevity is average however (about 4-5 hours). It's is a little expensive for what it is though. It is versatile, could be a good date cologne, good office cologne, day/night, summer/spring/fall, you name it. Very clean, sharp, and powerful.

Stetson Black by Stetson

Not bad, not great but not bad. A tinge of fruit at the top notes then a cheap suede in the middle and end. Longevity is kind of weak though, I wore several bottles, never a compliment so never again. I like Sierra better.

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

It's Acqua Di Gio minus the sweetness. I actually like it better than ADG. Bvlgari Aqua also has a lot more depth to the scent, very nice. Reminds me of a foggy pier on the Oregon coast in late fall or early winter. I also love the bottle, very original.

Stetson Sierra by Stetson

Good stuff! I remember my friend made me try this and I did, I was surprised. It is green, fresh, frosty, and clean smelling all at once. Staying power is not shabby. My favorite cheapie.

Preferred Stock by Coty

Oh man I remember this stuff. God it was bad, real bad. To this day I still have never known anyone who has actually bought Preferred Stock, it was always a gift from an aunt or grandma.

English Leather by Dana

This was my Dad's cologne, I still have a bottle that reminds me of him. In fact my Mom commented how much she liked smelling this on pop. It is not bad for a drug store scent, it is artificial though. Kind of an artificial leathery soapy scent. It is very strong and lasts a good while.

Not the best cologne at the grocery store but not the worst. I give it a thumbs up simply for nostalgia and memories of my pop.

Canoé by Dana

God I hate this stuff, it's like the Christmas fruit cake, no one wants it as a gift and it in a lot of cases it gets re-gifted to someone else you know who did not rate time or effort to really shop for.

This stuff is so artificial it actually makes me sick.

Aspen for Men by Coty

Aspen is not a Cool Water knock off, this is much more green and outdoorsy than Cool Water. At best you can say it has that "calone" scent note in common. Something about Aspen though puts in a colder days category (which also differs from Cool Water), it just smells out of place during warmer months. It has been awhile since I wore it but I do remember something in the dry down that I did not like, it got real synthetic, I guess what do you expect for a drug store Coty fragrance. Not bad.

1805 by Truefitt & Hill

What a weak offering. Too subtle for anyone notice and worse yet it just dies a quick death. There is nothing marine about this cologne, I get teas, I get citrus, and I get woods that's about it, maybe an tinge of ozone but the cologne is so light it might as well not be there because you will have spray it up your nose to catch it.

Clubman by Truefitt & Hill

Clubman is like a weak Polo Sport or CK Be cologne with a lot of mint. I don't get aquatic here, I get fresh or sporty type however. I am not a lover of overpowering mint in colognes, smelling like spearmint gum is just not my thing.

Thumbs down for lack of originality, and excessive use of mint to try to cover up that lack of originality.

29 September, 2008

Freshman by Truefitt & Hill

This is what Cool Water used to smell like, almost to a "T". The only difference I can detect from old Cool Water is a toned down lavender accord and a very light mint note somewhere in it, that's about it. It is 98% of what old Cool Water was. I don't know what they are passing off as Cool Water nowadays but it has changed, and changed for the worse. If you want to remember what old Cool Water back in the 90's and early 2000's smelled like pick up Freshman.

Compared to GIT it is a little sweeter, also the Creed ambergis base is not here (Thank God!). Still close to GIT but Freshman is much closer to old Cool Water.

Much like old Cool Water the opening blast is strong and just downright sexy. It literally will seduce women with just a whiff, however just like old Cool Water it can also knock out everyone within a 20 foot radius for 30 minutes if you go a little crazy with over-applying.

When the dry down begins the magic really happens, it settles down from the initial strong blast into a seductive, sweet, aquatic affair that women will just want to bury they nose into, and so will you for that matter. I can't stop smelling stuff on me. You won't be able to get enough of it if these type scents are your thing, neither will women.

Freshman has great silage and longevity as well, overall a great offering even if is retro Cool Water. T&H claims Freshman has been around since 1815, if it has it has not been in this formulation. I just can't imagine the Cool Water scent being around since the civil war and old west era.

To wrap this up, if you love Cool Water you will love Freshman. If you hate Cool Water you will hate Freshman.

27 September, 2008

Trafalgar by Truefitt & Hill

Very nice scent, it definitely has the barbershop scent thing going on which means sharp, fresh, clean and strong to me.

I am picking up a heavy lime note here on top of the other notes listed in the pyramid, I would say it is the predominate note even though it is not listed. The jasmine also helps to balance the tartness of the lime with the smoothness of the woods to help round out the scent overall.

It does have great silage and is loud, it does not hang close to the skin like so many colognes do today. Longevity seems to be quite good as well. Easily 6 hours with diminishing loudness as it approaches that.

Trafalgar does not evolve however, it remains pretty one dimensional from start to finish.

Overall a very nice barbershop'esqe fragrance that men can enjoy.

27 September, 2008

Vintage by John Varvatos

I liked this one on the top notes but once it settles in the scent gets too sweet, I am not sure what kind of sweet though. Perhaps it is rhubarb as Sir Slanty points out. Either way I am not a big fan of it. It's not bad, just not great. Longevity seems pretty fair though.

13 September, 2008

Set Sail South Seas for Men by Tommy Bahama

Floral, fresh, and airy.

Good staying power and silage too. Good offering, TB may offer it as a special summer scent but this could easily be versatile enough for night time, fall, and spring.

24 August, 2008

Unforgivable Black by Sean John

Now this is real nice, the best Unforgivable yet! I think fusion's notes below are wrong though, here is what I found that is much closer to what my nose is picking up.

Notes include coconut, kahlua, coffee liquor, calone, pepper, amber and warm woods.

The coconut is very nice and subtle and I detect a hint of rum as well, I suspect that is the kahula and coffee liquor though tricking me. It is just a very well rounded fun scent. I hope it gets added to the line full time.

Unforgivable Multi Platinum by Sean John

Very nice. EastonBMW's review pretty much dissected everything here you might want to know. A little more sparklier than the original, better in my opinion. I wish this was not a limited edition though, this deserves a regular line-up spot.

Unforgivable by Sean John

It's MI minus the watermelon and salt air notes. Still nice but expensive for a designer fragrance and longevity is mediocre.

Green Valley by Creed

Very nice offering, very much a crossing of Green Irish Tweed and Himalaya with a tinge of Silver Mountain Water. Perfect if you like GIT but you don't want to get into that whole "smells like Cool Water" debate.

19 August, 2008

Cool Water Deep by Davidoff

There is nothing "deep" about this cologne, it smells cheap and has really poor longevity. The original Cool Water is 10x the cologne of this one.

16 August, 2008

Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse by Creed

The floral notes are too strong in this one, it leans it over sharply to the feminine side of the spectrum. It does smell nice though but it should be on my wife, not me. Longevity and silage are very good.

Orange Spice by Creed

Ugh, brutal. It smells of a really strong toilet mint. It does last forever though, in fact you will probably need Lava soap or kerosine to get it off you.

Néroli Sauvage by Creed

This is a beautiful scent, it really is. The opening is a tart lemon and citrus blast that is just refreshing and bright. The problem is 5 minutes later that "refreshing blast" is long gone and you are left with a very muted citrus scent that does not project off the skin. Within 30-40 minutes later the entire scent is gone, like it was never even there. I have cheap body sprays with better projection and staying power.

Thumbs up for the scent itself, it really is gorgeous. Thumbs down for the absurdly poor silage and longevity.

Acier Aluminium by Creed

I was not sure to expect here when I got my sample but I was intrigued. It is an oriental, that there is no doubt about. The opening is pretty "in your face" with a woody incense explosion with a helping of vanilla and something else I can't put my finger on.... It is a sparking note of some kind that really does not belong, it really throws the woodsy and vanilla notes for a loop, it's like they are all fighting for dominance.

After a few minutes the dry down occurs and not much changes in the notes other than they are not as potent as the initial blast. In fact throughout the scent life not much really changes which I actually like.

Longevity is very good for an oriental and silage is pretty good for a Creed which are all too well known for lying close to the skin and not projecting well. One thing I do like about this scent is it does not have the "Creed base" that the Millesime's do.

I have to say I don't like it however, but I am not a big oriental fan either. The notes just seem to be in a battle royal with each other to be the dominate leader in this scent rather than a tier supporting each other. Perhaps for some but not me.

14 August, 2008 (Last Edited: 17 August, 2008)