Reviews by snifferdog

snifferdog's avatar
    snifferdog

Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange

This has surely got to be a joke aimed squarely on the fragrance industry. There's no other reason to explain this monstrosity that must surely be losing money for the ELDO board of directors, if there are any left. Those directors that have remained should be sacked without pay for unleashing a truly hideous stench that one would place on a back-shelf in a novelty shop right next to the fart-gas.

The worst part about it is the contrived pretentiousness about pushing some fabled "envelope" with developing a fragrance akin to bodily fluids/secretions. It's a moronic idea and should not have left the confines of a presumably intoxicated brainstorming session with the marketing geniuses there.

Utterly disgusting!

22nd February, 2009

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

Exquisite interplay of contrasting notes with an underlying sweet dustiness. A masterpiece of perfumery and has been put to the top shelf in my wardrobe. The combination of iris and cocoa is a masterstroke, and the remaining notes serve to introduce (bergamot/sage in the top) or accentuate the base (vetiver/leather).

Delicate veil of refined notes and ultramodern elegant and sophisitcated.

One of the finest ever for men.

31st August, 2008 (Last Edited: 01st September, 2008)

Égoïste / L'Égoïste by Chanel

Delicious joyous opulent and silky smooth. Starts with an exuberant mandarin and warm resiny woodiness of rosewood and seamlessly weaves into the extravagant rose, cinnamon and carnation heart. From there the intoxicating cloud drifts into the vanilla and sandalwood base.

This is for the spice and floral lovers. It's sweet without being cloying, radiant floral without being strident, and sparklingly spicy without any of the other facets being overwhelmed.

One of the very best fragrances ever created, for men or women.

04th July, 2008 (Last Edited: 12th July, 2008)

No. 19 by Chanel

A masterpiece of perfumery, exquisitely blended, soaring verdant opening notes with a resinous timbre, delicate fresh and sombre floral heart with the lightest woods in the base.

For me most probably the finest perfume ever created.

04th July, 2008

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

I can see some of the merits on this one, but it's way too thick, leathery and quite sickly for me. Not a pleasing one to wear, and I have tried wearing it. I felt quite suffocated by it.

30th November, 2007

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

I really wanted to like this fragrance... I really did.... but the descriptions given here must have bypassed my olfactory system. All I could smell was a lemon-squash type of odor, very light and quite flimsy, and with not much else going on underneath.

30th November, 2007

Cool Water by Davidoff

The overall marine timbre in this fragrance is offputting to say the least. It's clean in a very synthetic sort of way, and decidedly something that smells more akin to a toilet cleaner than something I would wear.

The fascination with the ozone/aquatic/marine type of fragrances is lost on me, but this one is particularly unpleasant. Very one-dimensional, and a big thumbs down from me.

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

I really like this one, it's a very green chypre that may be old-fashioned, but it is subtle, complex and very sophisticatedly masculine and sexy.

Like all the Chanels that I have tried it starts off with a bitter tinge and settles into a very classy heart.

The powderiness of some of the Chanels is present in the base notes, and I'm still a little undecided as to how I feel about that.

Overall, it's a definite winner in my books. My biggest wish is that it wasn't so expensive in the stores!

Antaeus by Chanel

This just screams testosterone and pheremones! I really like this one, it's typical Chanel in that it is not overly sweet, cloying or sickly. It's a very french fragrance with complex woody leathery notes, and whilst it starts off with a tinge of the usual Chanel bitterness it settles into an outstanding aroma.

Like Chanel Pour Monsieur, I wish this wasn't as expensive in the shops in Australia.

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I really don't feel that this fragrance deserves the negative comments that it's getting. It may not be a radical departure from what's out there on the market, but it is an excellent composition and has a sparkling freshness that is reminiscent of YSL Paris.

It's a very versatile fragrance, and in comparison to the other fragrances of its genre it rates very highly in my books.

15th May, 2007

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

This has to be the most nauseating concoction on the market. I'm sorry to all those who like it, but it smells very much like the artificial flavours in fairy floss (cotton-candy for the americans).

It's sweet beyond the point of cloying, and really does not offer a great deal of complexity. A good fragrance smells pleasant. A great fragrance takes you away to another world. This is not good enough to even fall under mediocre.

04th May, 2007

Allure Homme by Chanel

Wasn't sure about this one at first, but I've really taken to it. It starts off quite sharp with the mandarine, but settles into a soft fruity zesty woods and spice.

Very nice and very wearable.

27th April, 2007 (Last Edited: 05th April, 2008)

Paris by Yves Saint Laurent

My mum wears this one, and I still remember the first time we both smelt it: we were in a department store when one of the "squirter-girls", as I used to call them, sprayed some on a card.

We both thought it was more like an experience than a fragrance. A breath of old-world summer.

I still think it's a beatiful fragrance, very rosy and floral. It brings back a lot of happy childhood memories.

I got her a bottle of this for her birthday, and she loves wearing it.

27th April, 2007

Opium by Yves Saint Laurent

The whole "Opium" concept for men and women was a masterstroke from YSL.

This is a classic with its spicy, luscious notes and floral tones. Like other YSL fragrances, it's more an experience than a "smell".

I think it's beautiful, and such a seductive opulent fragrance for women. Definitely not for the demure or faint of heart, however! It's bold, heady and luxuriant, but above all it's grandeur.

27th April, 2007

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

It's nice enough... but smells way too old-fashioned... too much like a man who's counting down his days in a nursing home.

The overall feeling is reasonably pleasant, but perhaps a little too sharp on the citrus and lacking in the warm depth that more modern fragrances have.

24th April, 2007

Poison by Christian Dior

Sickly, cloyingly sweet.... a bit disappointing. This belongs in the category of fragrances that I put Joop! in: too much.

24th April, 2007

Opium pour Homme Eau d'Orient by Yves Saint Laurent

This one is an outstanding version of Opium pour Homme, and it is so incredibly wearable and delightful.

While still recognisably Opium pour Homme, it is more citrusy, lighter and brighter, and overall more zesty and fresh. The sweetness is down, but the mellowness of the citrus (grapefruit) comes through with the spice.

Rather than the darker top and midnotes, this uses the subtle freshness of the citrus of grapefruit and adds the spiciness with pepper and woodiness with vetiver.

I wear this every day to work, and have done so since last year, and I still get the "Oh, you smell really nice". And that's even from my partner!

21st April, 2007

Opium pour Homme Eau de Parfum by Yves Saint Laurent

When I tried this the first few times it was in the middle of summer on stinking hot days. I thought it was appalling.

Then I tried it since it was repackaged. And I must've had some very stale testers before, because this is a masterpiece.

Grandeur is the only word I can use to describe it with.

Hot, peppery, velvety with a delicious vanilla base and smooth rich spices enveloping the whole.

Divine!

21st April, 2007 (Last Edited: 02nd July, 2008)

Opium pour Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This is the richest most sumptuous men's fragrance out there. Spicy, woody, fruity in turns, rich dark exotic, but somehow managing to stay fresh and powerful without being cloying. The dry-down is nothing short of intoxicating. It's so fruity, yet rich masculine and totally addictive.

I love wearing it, and every time I put it on it still feels like a "new" smell, rather than being a tired old thing.

The smell lasts all day on me, and considering that my skin usually kills off most fragrances that's very good going.

Given that I live in Australia, the winter vs summer fragrances don't have the clear climate distinction that they would in the northern hemisphere, whence people often wear the darker fragrances in summer and vice versa, so I'm often wearing this one to the office. And I always always, no matter how many times I've worn it, get the obligator "Oooh, gee, you smell nice," or "What are you wearing? It's sexy?"

21st April, 2007 (Last Edited: 11th April, 2008)