Reviews by Bruspotter

Bruspotter's avatar
    Bruspotter
    Belgium Belgium

Incense Extrême by Tauer

Smells exactly like old Turmeric powder. You know, that pot of yellow dust at the back of your kitchen cupboard, the one you bought 5 years ago for a recipe which required a teaspoonful of the stuff and you haven't used it since. Just go into your kitchen and open it and have a sniff. You'll see what I mean.

02nd December, 2009

L'Air du Desert Marocain by Tauer

All these fancy descriptions to flower up a scent which ends up smelling exactly like Angel Men. End of story.

01st December, 2009

Guerlain Homme by Guerlain

Anyone know the smell of Vapona bug spray?

Reminds me of the time we had a wasp's nest in our attic and I had to spray the top bedrooms before we could get in there to deal with it. The house smelled like this for days............

21st October, 2009

Five O'Clock Au Gingembre by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I was lucky enough to be given a spray sample of this in an exclusive scent boutique on Avenue Louise in Brussels. It seems more suited to men than to women and indeed is also known as 'The Gentleman'.

My first and lasting impression is that this is similar to Gucci Envy for men, but drier, smoother and without all the sweetness of Envy. I have worn Envy for several years and therefore think that Five o'clock would be a suitable upgrade for someone who enjoys a smooth gingery scent. Decent loglivity on my skin, a good 6-8 hours.

13th May, 2009

Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

After months of deliberation, I finally obtained a sample direct from the Salons in Paris. It was a sample in wax, on a card with a plastic covering which one peels off. I immediately applied some to my wrist, sniffed, and then recoiled in horror as the fecal, sweaty, genital odour flooded my nostrils. I was immediately reminded of a smell from my childhood. We used to buy a product in joke shops in England in the eighties called 'Fart spray' which was an aerosol which when sprayed, filled a room with a pungent, musky and downright revolting smell which hung around for ages. It was a kind of tinned stinkbomb. I used to delight in spraying my younger sisters' room with the product and I remember her once getting revenge by spraying my pillow with it. Well to me, Muscs koublaï Khän smells similar to that. It also brings to mind images of musky old wealthy Belgian women with bad breath, indeed the kind one is likely to encounter in the classier quarters of Brussels. There is definately a hint of vanilla cowering underneith the fecal chord, like someone who hasn't washed for a while and then applied vanilla talc to 'freshen things up'.

Glad I finally got to smelling it, but I'm afraid I can't say it smells divine. I have been trying to eliminate the scent from my wrist with a stiff brush and washing up liquid. I've managed to draw blood, but the smell is still there!

13th May, 2009

Davidoff Adventure by Davidoff

I bought this for my trip to South Africa this year, which after all, was an Adventure! I gave it to my brother-in-law when I got home because I found it had no lasting power whatsoever. Actually a very nice scent, but with little development. After an hour its as if you'd never put it on. Gone! Thumbs down for the longlivity.

03rd March, 2009 (Last Edited: 18th May, 2009)

Dior Homme Sport (original) by Christian Dior

My other half wears this at the moment. It smells like lemon merangue pie with a sprinkling of pepper.

09th December, 2008

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

I wore this constantly when I was in my early twenties and think now that I was probably too young back then to pull it off. I recently rediscovered this fantastic scent (I'm now 36) and think that I finally know how to handle it and for which occasions to use it. Its certainly not something I'd wear to work (I'm an intensive care nurse) but its great for a nice meal out on a crisp autumn evening or for special occasions like receptions, weddings, parties etc. I think I seriously used to over-apply when I used it back in the Nineties, plus I wore it even to work at the hospital. I now know that only a small amount is required to gain maximum effect, and that it should not really be used casually.

It is warm, rich, exotic and just so incredibly bold, yet smooth, almost like caramel sauce (like its colour). It lasts and lasts and never fails to win you compliments. It clings to your shirt and jumper and is still detectable and delectable even a couple of days later on the fabric.

At least as good as and maybe even better than Gucci Envy, although not at all the same.

26th October, 2008

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Firstly I have to say that I love all things Gucci. Envy has been my only scent for several years. When I first sprayed the new Gucci on my wrist in the store, I loved it and enjoyed the scent for several hours. It seemed leathery and tabaccolike, reminded me of the smell of an old leather chesterfield settee. Something different and more distinguished, I thought. A few days later I went back and bought a bottle. When I applied it at home, all I got was a high pitched scream of Violet which did not seem to develop or change in any way at all. I had to wash it off in the end because I couldn't stand it. Its like a totally different product than the one I tried in the store. So very dissapointing, I so wanted the chesterfield settee, but got cloying sickly sweet kids candy instead.

30th September, 2008

Envy for Men by Gucci

In the past few years, I have worn numerous fragrances, but the one I always return to is Envy. It is just so well blended and smooth. It doesn't get better than this

16th July, 2007 (Last Edited: 08th December, 2009)

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

As a Gucci Envy and Gucci pour Homme fan,I tried this at the airport a couple of weeks ago. I sprayed some on my wrist and soon wished I hadn't. It reminded me so much of my mothers' perfume; Kenzo Flowers. Thats it. Thats how this stuff smells. So I won't be getting any!

02nd April, 2007

DKNY Be Delicious by Donna Karan

Totally unappealing on a woman. Sour and offensive to the nose and a pollution of ones' personal space. Why would anyone spray themselves with this nasty concoction?

02nd April, 2007 (Last Edited: 10th September, 2009)

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

It is extremely overpowering and sickly. I friend of mine wears this and it just does not smell as if it belongs on a man. It reminds me of the smell of little old ladies in fur coats. There seems to be a lot of cardomum in this. I don't know why anyone would want to smell like this.

02nd April, 2007