Reviews

Reviews by mjclark

Pharos by Alain Delon

Seemingly unremarkable but long-lasting aquatic.However the fruity notes at the top and woods at the base make this just that little bit special, like all of Delon's fragrances.
05th July, 2008

Anucci Man by Anucci

Mmm!To my nose very similar to Safari,and that's a good thing,but now we're playing golf instead of polo (just look at that bottle)!
It manages to be simultaneously dignified but sensual,refined but racy,everything a masculine fragrance should be ,but definitely not for the under-30s...
05th July, 2008

Moustache by Rochas

Weird!Weird!Weird!This fragrance has a surreal air which is initially quite disturbingThe strangest of openings,as if someone had urinated into a bucket of fermenting fruit or maybe the scent of some extraterrestrial creature on heat.Just as all this is becoming too much, a comforting powdery floral middle takes over (renminiscent of Alexander Julien's Colours) and you breathe a sigh of relief thinking that you are now on much safer ground.Then all of a sudden aaaargh!-the citrus and bodily fluid combination kicks back in the drydown in a menacingly sexual way,leaving you disturbed but exhiliarated.
If Krizia Uomo had a psychotic uncle or if Hitchcock's "Psycho" was a fragrance,this would be it...
01st July, 2008

Autograph Isis for Men by Marks and Spencer

Very nicely done (like most things from Marks and Sparks).A classic fragrance in every way with a simple invigorating opening,through an unexpectedly robust and spicy middle of pepper and lavender to an elegant drydown of melon,citrus and coriander.
This one probably won't turn any heads but nonetheless it's a magnificently competent fragrance all the way through and a pleasure to wear.
30th June, 2008

Shogun by Alain Delon

Gorgeous sweet citrus and floral oriental that's more upbeat than the original Samourai but weightier than Samourai 47.
Delon has produced some marvellous fragrances and this is certainly one of them.Lovely,lovely,lovely!
15th June, 2007

Indentite pour Homme by René Lezard

Warm vanilla and spice oriental that makes me go "Mmmm".Very similar to Yves Rocher's Hoggar and equally as complex but altogether smoother and better balanced.Drydown is like a coffee and caramel take on D&GPH.Yum!

Arber by Body Shop

Linear replica of Ungaro 3.Nowhere near as subtle,but good for the money.

Tempore Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Wonderful,complex and surprising.Unremarkable citrus aquatic opening leading into an astonishing tobacco and chocolate drydown reminiscent of a harder hitting Conran Man.
Amazing fragrance!

Red for Men by Giorgio Beverly Hills

Hard-hitting superchypre.Lovely almost majestic fragrance but why oh why would I pay £75 for it when I can get the equally weighty Fendi Uomo for £10?
06th June, 2007

Krizia Uomo by Krizia

Heavyweight green and aquatic chypre in the same class as Fendi Theorema Uomo.I detect juniper and coriander seed with a distinct note of pine in the drydown, reminiscent of an antisceptic that the school nurse might have dabbed on a graze 40 years ago.Mmmm...
This is a dominating fragrance which is very masculine,very sexy and very very '80s but in a good way like "Miami Vice"...
31st May, 2007

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

Smells like fart-spray and hospitals.Definitely not good!
27th May, 2007

Nomadic Him by Oriflame

Very similar to M7 (maybe that's the agarwood,which I'm told is an aphrodisiac.I did get lots of compliments from women when I wore M7).Woody,leathery and maybe a hint of caramel.Suitably heavy and long-lasting for something so grand.This is absolutely lush!
25th May, 2007

Hoggar by Yves Rocher

So complex it's surreal!Chemical opening like A*Men moves quickly into citrus oriental and finally settles down to something akin to a vanilla and fruit D&GPH with a hint of camphor.
First time I put this on I couldn't work out whether I liked it or not.There's a strange synthetic tang which initially deterred me but that I soon found myself relishing.Definitely an acquired taste,bizarre and fascinating.
25th May, 2007

Man of Aran by Burren Perfumery

Lovely opening of sour fruits drying down to a simple but intelligent aquatic and citrus accord with maybe a hint of licqourice.Reminiscent of Trussardi Jeans except that TJ is too heavy-handed whereas this frag is elegant,beautiful and full of Celtic sparkle!
Lasted well on my skin for about six hours then suddenly vanished without a trace,which added to its magical quality.An unexpected delight!
24th May, 2007

Jasper Conran Man by Jasper Conran

Opens like cigarette-ends in the bottom of a coffee cup.Tobacco lasts into the drydown which reminds me of warm PVC,sweetening with time.
I'm surprised that the other reviews have been so non-commital and maybe this just doesn't agree with my skin-type.
Quirky and memorable frag,just not very pleasant...and no staying power either.
22nd May, 2007

Hot Play by Lacoste

I agree with kennyken on this one.Very fruity,lots of grapefruit but generic and unimaginative.Safe and pleasant but nothing more...
17th May, 2007

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

D&GPH meets Del Mar in a generic,inoffensive and disappointing way.I can see this one being very popular,but nothing to get excited about...
05th May, 2007

Boss Soul by Hugo Boss

Very similar to Del Mar and equally dull.
Good quality but bland and inoffensive-the sort of thing you'd buy as a present for someone you didn't know very well...
28th April, 2007

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

Complex and beautiful!Starts out with a great wave of sage and mandarin but dries down into an astonishing accord of spice,citrus and aquatics.
Warm and sexy but just dry enough to be masculine and dignified as well.On my skin this one is longlasting and truly gorgeous!
(Wonder if the 2006 YSL L'Homme owes anything to this since,to my nose, there are a lot of similarities though L'Homme is lacks the citrus notes and is altogether drier).
24th April, 2007

Samouraï 47 by Alain Delon

To my nose very similar to the original (and fantastic!) Samourai but altogether younger,lighter and fruitier.
Sexy and fun,this is ideal for summertime walkabouts...
21st April, 2007

Samouraï by Alain Delon

Fresh and deliciouswith a fruity,creamy opening.The fruit lasts but combines with floral and leather notes (maybe the tarragon)on the drydown reminding me of Joop but more complex.
I love this fragrance-it moves from fresh and invigorating to sexy and sensual and on me it lasts well too.This one's a winner!
18th April, 2007

Trussardi Jeans Men by Trussardi

Sickly sweet orange treacle.Lasted forever and gave me a headache.

Mémoire d'Homme by Nina Ricci

All topnotes and no trousers!An initial wave of grapefruit and something a bit like pencil-lead but nothing to back it up.So week as to be barely detectable and,on my skin,vanished without a trace in 20 minutes.a complete waste of time.Nice bottle though...

Ungaro III by Ungaro

Wondered if this could possibly live up to its great reviews.Clean but unremarkable topnotes made me think I would be disappointed but I soon realised that they formed a beautifully understated prelude to the astonishing drydown.What followed were waves of rose petals,incense and vanilla with a strangely compelling sour tone and,on my skin,considerable staying power.
This has the gothic rose assertions that I loved in Black XS but that was brash and bold whereas this is sophisticated and esoteric.It has opened my eyes to the perfumers' art!

Envy for Men by Gucci

Delicious fragrance that's sexy,masculine and sophisticated but on my skin didn't last at all.If only this were heavier I would wear nothing else...

Black XS by Paco Rabanne

Mmmm!One of my absolute favourites.I like heavy,powerful scents and this is cheeky with it.Lots of strawberry,citrus,cream and rose.On me this one lasted and lasted.Brash but also fairly complex with a nice contrast between the start and the drydown,like a day-glo version of Ungaro III (which I find similar but way more mature and sophisticated).All in all a very sensual experience.Sexy!

M7 by Yves Saint Laurent

Sensual,leathery and dry with a medicinal quality that I'd encountered before in Joop!On me it lasts and lasts.I'm told that agarwood is an aphrodisiac and I certainly got lots of positive comments from the opposite sex when I was wearing this!One of my favourites.

Colours for Men by Alexander Julian

Creamy,sweet and flowery,my fiancee says it smells like talcum powder.Warm and almost edible.I like this for occasional wear but a bit too cloying for everyday use.An unusual and vibrant masculine fragrance.