Reviews by msi_21

msi_21's avatar
    msi_21
    Iran Iran

Vince Camuto for Men by Vince Camuto

The other day, I randomly sprayed some on a card and then on my skin, and got really surprised! It's a lot better than what I was expecting!

It's a very well made manly scent composed around Leather, Vetiver and I guess Patchouli plus some woods and a nice touch of musk. I really liked the way it smelled on my skin; its serious manly stuff...most probably will be added to my wardrobe.

The projection wasn't that good though, and it stayed about 4 hours on me. Definitely give it a try if you are into chic manly scents!

10th February, 2013

Kiehl's Original Musk by Kiehl's

Today I found the chance to try it both on card and on my skin. Well...it starts loud and in a 60ish way. The opening is very crowded but I could see musk and some florals struggling to have my attention and they come to prominence as it settles.

I found it not to be something that I'm interested in. So, given the hype that I saw here and there about it, I asked a couple of girls about their ideas of the smell on the card. Reactions were the same: at beginning they were shy to say anything but when I told them I'm just trying this and its not a favorite of mine they told me it smells 'granny-ish' and they don't think of it as a suitable choice for young men like me. I couldn't agree with them more.

It didn't last on my skin that long, probably 2 hours or so. Longevity and projection are not good.

Sorry people for frustrating review from me! Overall it hardly gets 3 out of 10.

16 December, 2012

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

There are few perfumes out there which have ads that correctly visualize the scent concept and Terre D'Hermes is one of them: A young man with well built naked torso...a free spirited horse...orange soil which form an orange cloud in the blue sky.

The ad provides an exact visualization of the style of this perfume. It's style fits a strong character who is headstrong, non-conformist and individualistic. In my experience TdH is far from being a crowd pleaser: it commands respect!

The scent is probably the most serious one I've ever encountered and when I smelled it the first time back in 2006 I knew this is an instant classic. Not surprisingly it has been a great hit among perfumistas since its been launched.

Getting more particular about the scent I should say after a loud and noisy opening it settles to a solid fabulous woody spicy composition built around citrus and pepper. Although I myself don't wear it because of personal preferences, I must confirm that it is a unique and outstanding work of art which truly deserves being called a 'masterpiece.'

Fantastic longevity and projection.

16 December, 2012

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Sport by Issey Miyake

This is basically a sharpened version of the original and of course is affected by Acqua di Gio in the process!

Good scent and garners compliments but doesn't fit my style.

Good longevity and projection.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake

This is a very well blended combination of citrus and woody notes. It settles to a woody-aquatic scent which is fresh and somewhat crispy.

This is certainly one of the best scents in its class and even though its almost two decades old still a very well justified purchase: highly recommended for daily wear!

Excellent longevity and projection.

Encounter by Calvin Klein

Tried this on my skin today. Its a well blended woody and aromatic scent and I'm actually a little surprised to see it being classified as woody oriental here and there. I guess that should be due to presence of Rum, Cognac, and Cardamom which gives me an aromatic impression but they are probably 'officially' Oriental notes!

It starts with fresh, crispy and boozy accords and settles to a nice scent which leaves an overall impression of something shampoo-i or soapy. It's a little synthetic and even cheap but still a lot better than most of main stream scents that I recently tried.

Good longevity and moderate projection. Overall: 7.5 out of 10.

Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durbano

On my skin it dries down to a nice and classy scent which seems to be built around incense and leather mainly. I saw oud to be listed as one of the notes but I can't detect it. It is a masculine scent to me, even though I can imagine a senior lady in formal dress wearing something like this.

Black Tourmaline is similar to other works of Olivier Durbano in being somewhat dark, smoky and warm. I liked it but longevity and projection aren't good for me. Overall: 7.5 out of 10.

30th July, 2012

Jade by Olivier Durbano

It has a green smoky scent. I'm not sure if it can be affiliated with Jade, but it's deep and dark smell certainly illustrates a mysterious image...something possibly related to absolute power!

In the world of perfumes, it is reminiscent of Esencia pour Homme by Loewe to me. Although this one is more modern, Esencia smells better.

Had good longevity and projection. Overall: 7 out of 10.

29 July, 2012

Gucci Guilty pour Homme by Gucci

Citrus and Lavender in the top with Patchouli and Cedar in the base. The rest of the notes support the whole composition which provides a well blended and pleasant scent. It's more of a fresh scent which can be called 'cold.'

To be honest I expected a lot more! This is a nice and pleasant scent for sure, but frankly it smells like what a generic scent should have smelled in early 2000s! I can even tell you that it reminds me [vaguely] of Boss Motion line!

Since I enjoyed its smell while trying it, I gave it a thumbs up. Good longevity and projection. Overall: 7 out of 10.

27 July, 2012

Prada Amber pour Homme Intense by Prada

I used to wear and enjoy the soapy ambery scent of original Prada Amber Pour Homme. To my surprise this one is nothing like the original. I mean you definitely can detect those soapy ambery notes here as well, but this one is geared toward a completely different direction. In fact here the scent is dominated by a combination of Patchouli and Myrrh. The soapy ambery base of original is present here to provide a gentle and clean foundation to the whole composition.

In the dry down I get a very nice scent with a classic touch. Given the strong presence of Patchouli and clean basenotes, the only scent comes to my mind is Givenchy Gentleman. Albeit Patchouli is supported by Citrus and Chypre notes there while here it is combined with Myrrh and soapy ambery basenotes.

I really liked the sleek and slim bottle of original with beautiful light blue juice inside. The change in color had negative aesthetic effect on the bottle IMO and this one looks more like a mechanical tool!

It has moderate longevity and projection. Overall: 8.5 out of 10.

24 July, 2012

Artisan Black by John Varvatos

As a variation on the Artisan, it has the citrus-floral notes tamed and a woody-leathery base which smells a little bit artificial. It's definitely a nice sensual scent compared to other mainstream ones, but is not as good as original Artisan IMHO! Even the bottle is not as good!!!

Moderate longevity and projection. Overall: 7 out of 10.

Artisan by John Varvatos

Original john varvatos was my signature scent for a while. So when I red the news about this one I was really excited! jv wanted to shift from heavy warm masculine scents (jv original and Vintage) to something fresher and more wearable and I believe he did a good job in here.

The first thing about this one is the bottle: one of the most fascinating bottles I've ever seen!

The juice inside is really nice too! its a very well crafted combination of citrus and citrus florals. It develops to a gentle, fresh, clean and pleasant scent on my skin. I really like it!

If you ask me about the originality of the idea, I should tell you that Jean Paul Gaultier was first among fashion designers who decided to make something like this in Fleur du Male. Apparently he wanted to make a masculine scent heavy on citrus-florals. While his creation is an absolute failure in my book, jv is a winner. jv succeeded in doing the idea in a way that the final product is really pleasant and wearable!

There's also 'Artisan Black'; a variation on this one. I have both of them on my hands right now and I'm making a one by one comparison here. In the black variation the citrus-floral notes are sort of tamed to give way to warmer(woody-leathery?) base which smell a little artificial to my nose. While Artisan Black is warmer and maybe more 'sensual', I'll definitely go with the original which is brighter and more pleasant.

Artisan has good longevity and projection on my skin. Overall: 8 out 10.

Armani Code Sport by Giorgio Armani

As usual Mr. Armani came late but with a decent product. This can be easily seen as a continuation of fresh citrusi spicy mainstream scents pioneered by Dior Homme Sport.

This is a fresh rendition of citrus-spicy notes which is really well crafted and smooth. As others mentioned there is mint in it which gives the whole scent a mellow sense of iciness.

It doesn't have anything in common with Armani Code but the qualities of being well-crafted, sleek and wearable.

Longevity and projection are good.

It gets '8 out of 10'.

Comme des Garçons 2 Man by Comme des Garçons

The opening on my skin is dominated by the so called 'Aldehydes', which at first I thought is a fresh clean citrus thing. The incense note is playing in the background at this stage while other notes are mostly supporting the whole structure. It dries down to a scent in which there is a better balance between Aldehydes and incense notes.

It stays for several hours but its subtle and close to skin. It projects a scent which has similarities to that of Gucci pour homme but is certainly different enough to be considered something independent.

Overall: 7 out of 10.

21st July, 2012

Turquoise by Olivier Durbano

The opening is dominated by fresh aquatic notes which are very nice. After it settles, you get more resinous qualities and it projects a scent which has aquatic notes on a warm resinous woody base.

The scent matches well with what it is supposed to be: smell of Turquoise stone! That said, there are a lot of sharp fresh aquatic scents on the market which may serve the same purpose. Honestly, I need to warn you that Turquoise can be easily mistaken by one of those generic sharp fresh mass marketed scents. Hence, if you think you are paying price of niche product and will stand out of the crowd...think twice!

Good longevity and subtle projection. Overall: 5 out of 10.

Gucci Pour Homme II by Gucci

It opens with a mixture of woody fruity notes and black tea, violet leafs, and musky-woody notes are most detectable. In dry down it projects a nice sensual scent and I got tons of compliments wearing it in the fall.

It has a unique scent even though nothing earth shattering. I admire Gucci because they didn't copy a fresh generic scent here!

Has good longevity and moderate projection. Overall: 6 out of 10.

Polo Blue by Ralph Lauren

It dries down pretty quickly on my skin. A fresh fruity scent which is categorized as aromatic-fougere.

I get a very pleasant combination of cucumber-melon contrasted against a base of woods and suede; and aromatic herbs play perfectly to fill the gaps and provide one of the best fresh scents produced by a mainstream house.

I don't wear it myself due to the fact that it is really over worn! But if it's not a big deal for you, then give it a try!

It has good longevity and projection. Overall: 7 out of 10.

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

It doesn't have a long development process and shows itself pretty quickly on my skin. It has a fresh crispy scent which is really pleasant. It could have garnered a lot of compliments just if it was a little stronger!

It certainly reminds me of Polo Blue. Imagine someone tries to do Polo Blue with citrus notes instead of cucumber and melon. But again it is a lot lighter than that and I guess it should be called may be Polo Light Blue!

I honestly expected a lot from Dolce & Gabbana when they launched this...but...you know... :(

Has a short life and subtle scent on my skin. 5 out of 10.

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

It's opening consists of two parts: first part is a fresh icy minty one and the other is warmer and sort of musky-incense-y. Unfortunately on my skin the two parts don't provide a harmonious scent; even in dry down!

I guess they wanted to create a contrast between these two parts and make it the second Fahrenheit! By the way it has traces of Fahrenheit in it, most probably because of the contrast between cold and warm; and violet note!

My brother got it as a gift and interestingly the problem is a lot milder for him! It projects a nice scent on his skin, but nothing special or groundbreaking.

Not a bad choice for daily wear in the colder weather, even though I expected a lot more from something bearing the name 'Calvin Klein Man!'

It has good longevity and projection and gets 4 out of 10 IMO.

1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Not the same, but certainly in the same vein as Le Male, 212 Sexy and Armani Code. In fact I can easily think of this one as Le Male being re-engineered and the vanilla-fougere notes are weakened to give place to a Blood Orange note. It's not as versatile and pleasant as Le Male. Neither its as sleek and classy as Armani Code. But of course it has its own merits, even though nothing ground breaking presented here.

Sweet woody-ambry combination it is. Stays very long with monstrous projection. Makes a good choice for clubbing for a young man with casual outfit.

It gets 7 out of 10 IMO.

The One for Men by Dolce & Gabbana

This is a nice presentation of tobacco-woody notes. It reminds of Vera Wang for men; but this one is thicker, sweeter and stronger.

Its pleasant but overly sweet for my taste. When it was launched I already had Vera Wang for men which is subtler and somewhat more citrusy than this; so I didn't consider adding it o my wardrobe.

Longevity and projection are moderate. It gets 6 out of 10 IMO.

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

This opens with an overdose of lemons...and then you get more lemons and eventually it dries down to lemons presented over a base of vanilla-woody notes which as mentioned below gives impression of a creamy lemon scent. I think it can be seen as lemons poured all over Allure Homme; and of course crafted very well.

The scent is very pleasant and has a very refined style. It fits a young well mannered gentleman.

It has moderate longevity and projection on my skin. It gets 7 out of 10 IMO.

Bleu de Chanel by Chanel

It dries down on my skin to a fresh scent with a certain smokiness. The scent is pleasant and it may garner some compliments as well; but it's really generic! It seems like they got parts of Euphoria (by cK) and parts of Lacoste Essential and mixed them with some other things (!) in a new product called Bleu de Chanel.

Has good longevity and projection, but smells artificial. I expected more from Chanel! This perfume does not deserve the brand neither it does worth the price!

It gets 5 out of 10 IMO.

12 July, 2012

Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

It opens with a shiny citrus note on my skin, albeit earthy vetiver is apparent from beginning. Develops pretty quickly and then earthy vetiver becomes dominant while those shiny citrus notes provide a fresh facet to the scent.

Very well crafted, classy and chic; it has moderate longevity and projection.

It's closer to 'Vetiver Extreme' by Gurelain than their classic 'Vetiver'. That shiny citrus note gives Grey Vetiver a little more sharp-fresh-dynamic character and I prefer it to VE.

Vetiver dominated scents usually don't find a place in my wardrobe, no exceptions here! However, I'm appreciative of the overall high quality of this.

7 out of 10 IMHO.

11th July, 2012

Black Tie by Washington Tremlett

Luckyscent website describes this to be 'a wonderfully modern creation if not avant-garde' and finishes singing praise for it by calling it 'stunning'!

I tried it several times and it develops to a boring scent on my skin which is everything but pleasant, avant-garde(!) and stunning! I can detect traces of rose and saffron; I like these notes but of course not in the way they are used here.

It is subtle with little projection and has moderate longevity. Definitely unisex if not feminine.

It gets 1 out of 10 IMHO.

08 July, 2012

Dior Homme Intense by Christian Dior

The ad describes it as to be an elegant and sensual scent made up of mainly Iris, Ambrette and Cedarwood.

Basically Iris is supposed to induce gentleness in smell and a kind of sobriety and maturity in style. On the other hand, Ambrette and Cedarwood are responsible for making a scent sweet, warm and sensual. Accordingly I assume the designers wanted to add maturity of Iris to sensuality of the Ambrette and Cedarwood.

Considering the above target, I should say they succeeded! However, this success achieved when their product is compared with average designer fragrances. I mean with this one you get a nice and sensual scent with a polished and mature style; but don't expect a great scent!

It gets 8 out of 10 IMHO.

12 May, 2012

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

I tried this one on my skin today. It doesn't have a long development and settles pretty quickly.

On my skin it is a fresh green scent which is aromatic and sharp. The Cucumber, Vetiver and to less extent lavender and Citruses are dominant notes to my nose. Of course it has the aquatic quality as well but its in the shadow.

Longevity is fabulous with staying power of 8+ hours, but the projection was moderate.

I didn't notice any resemblance to Unforgivable (Sean John) and/ or MI (Creed). Those smell better IMO. This just reminds me vaguely of Good Life by Davidoff; and of course Wall Street is better crafted, better smelling, and more wearable.

It gets '6 out of 10' from me and given the price tag its a NO NO NO!

12 May, 2012

Individuel by Mont Blanc

This scent has three main pillars which are "floral citrus" pillar containing notes such as orange blossom and jasmine; "sharp cool" pillar containing notes such as mint and juniper berries; and a base note built around "amber-sandalwood-chocolate". Of course there are several other notes in the structure(violet and vetiver) but they aren't main players.
    It opens in a very loud but pleasant and somewhat classy way. Honestly this is the best part of it. After a while it dries down to somewhat similar to Joop Homme.
    I think the similarity with Joop Homme should be mainly due to the contrast of "citrus floral" pillar and "amber-sandalwood-chocolate" base. Which is very similar to the concept of Joop! Homme. The basic difference between this one and Joop! Homme comes from that "sharp cool" pillar which makes Individuel younger and more aggressive than Joop! Homme.
    As someone could guess it is a super sweet and loud scent. This was among my favorites for a long time, which is the reason of writing such a long review for it!
    It gets 8 out of 10 IMHO.

29 August, 2010

Gigli Man by Romeo Gigli

Shortly after spraying, it dries down to a simple but pleasant clean fresh scent on my skin. I haven't smelled anything like it before but I don't like to call it unique either!
    I guess the point of its release was to be an inoffensive clean scent, which honestly it pretty is! I think it can be a good choice for daytime wear. You will have a subtle fresh clean scent around yourself throughout the day. It projects moderately and lasts for around 6 hours on my skin.
    Its style is the same as Prada Amber Pour Homme and Burberry Touch.
    Also I like the design of bottle with those writings on the glass and the red cap.
    It gets a 7 out of 10 IMHO.

17 August, 2010

Boucheron pour Homme by Boucheron

This one being a very well crafted and well blended classic citrus, has a thick and somewhat soapy scent on my skin. However, it is smells old fashioned to my nose and I don't recommend it to anyone.

I'm myself really interested in classic citrus scents such as: EAU SAVAGE, YSL, ARMANI and etc.

04 August, 2007 (Last Edited: 24 July, 2012)