Reviews by Dave_D

Eau de Santal by Floris

A very nice classic, masculine scent, though I find Floris Santal to be an artistic rather than realistic interpretation of sandalwood. One of my favorites.

Vetiver by Guerlain

Another classic scent, a go to for the summer. I didnt much care for VG at first and gave a vintage bottle away. Sometime later I gave it another shot and it clicked. The new version smells lighter and tamer to me, less longevity as well, still nice. My preference runs to the classic version which is full bodied but still warm weather wear.

Jicky by Guerlain

Jicky is one of those classic scents that defies categorization to me, but I like it. It has a sensual animalic side that is barely held in check by classic restraint, beautiful. I'm pretty sure my grandmother had a small bottle of Jicky parfum on her dresser that I discovered as a boy. I thought it was amazing then and I still do now. It wasn't a tough choice to spend the money for a vintage bottle when I found it.

Brooks Brothers for Men by Brooks Brothers

I tried this while vacationing in Miami. We walked into the Brooks Brothers store, browsed around and tested it out. I immediately appreciated the classic scent, very old school but not stuffy. My girlfriend also liked it alot and teased that she would be jealous of the girls chasing me all over the place if I wore this. So naturally, I bought it.

Tam Dao by Diptyque

Another one of my top 5. Having tried many of the various santals and sandalwoods, finding none that really came close to the mysore eo that I use for a benchmark, then came...Tam Dao. This is one scent I have back ups on. Compliments are many. Sometimes I'll hit myself on the chest with a spray as I walk past the dresser just for the heck of it. Always nice.

Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle

Very nice. Romantic, sexy, like a rolling swinging samba for the nose. Add a little charm and sweat. We're on! reserved for special occasions.

Voleur de Roses by L'Artisan Parfumeur

I have wanted to try VdR for quite awhile and finally got the chance to try it recently. It was love at first whiff and I instantly bought 100ml on the spot. It is interesting because it falls outside of the usual woody, musk like, incensy choices I lean to. But I knew this scent with its damp floral, slightly dark intensity was just what my wardrobe needed to round it out. It has great longevity on me.

Eau Sauvage by Christian Dior

Eau Sauvage is a truly great scent, classic. I would agree with the oft mentioned longevity issues, very short lived.

Bois du Portugal by Creed

Easily one of my top 5. BdP is sublime. There is no vaguery to it, the presence is full tilt unmistakeable. Easy to over apply (which I sometimes do because I friggin love it!) one spritz is easily enough for social occasions.

A*Men / Angel Men by Thierry Mugler

Gourmands. what to say. If I wanted to smell like this I'd just do a face slam in a banana split. jmo.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Sample arrived today. Man, this is classy. I won't wax eloquent with the descriptions of scent color, etc. This ones on my 'to buy' list. About the only shortcoming is that it fades after about 6 hours on me, still noticeable though.

31st December, 2005

Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche

I like it, no complaints from women either. Not a fragrance I would base my collection on, but a nice inexpensive one that gets compliments (use it sparingly) Its shortcoming would probably be that its somewhat generic.

31st December, 2005