Reviews by orchid74

Miyako by Auphorie

Miyako by Auphorie opens with a juicy peachy-apricot osmanthus accord very similar to raw osmanthus absolute oil. Notes of wood, leather and unlit Japanese incense follow suit. At this point Miyako transports me to the Far East.
Imagine walking through a zen monastery. It's open halls lined with yellow robed monks and catching whiffs of their scented prayer beads. In the next room is an osmanthus ikebana arrangement, a bowl of peach, apricot and yuzu sits next to it. It's fruity floral aroma permeate the meditative air. Woody notes mingle from an antique lacquered chest nearby, it's contents full of precious woods and incense.
I am not Buddhist nor I have visited Japan (although I have plans in the future) but this is the imagery that come to my mind. It is easy to perceive this is as just a nicely done fruity floral chyrpe and indeed it is. But to me, it's so much more.
I purchased this based on Mr. Turins lyrical review. And I was not disappointed. Miyako just received the award for 2016 Art and Olfaction Artisan award.
09th May, 2016

Fleur de Feu by Guerlain

This is a rare and discontinued parfum extrait from the post-war 40's created by Jaques Guerlain. It is presented in a tall crystal bottle paying homage to the skyscrapers built in that era. This is a well blended floral with a unique guerlinade base and is meant to evoke the fiery flowers of an island volcano. It starts with a rich carnation note that give it its fiery quality. To my nose it has notes similar to nahema's rose and chamade's ylang ylang. Although the spicy accord of carnation is prominent I also detect aldehydes and jasmine in the composition. The middle note is a luscious powdery orris that is reminscent of Liu. But where Liu edp goes to a sweet powdery drydown Fleur de Feu becomes deliciously warm and caramelized gourmand, it is not cloying or foody but comforting like the feel of warm cashmere in the cold - I think the base has notes of patchouli, vanilla and tonka bean.
14th December, 2007 (last edited: 23rd April, 2008)

Angélique Encens by Creed

It is a Creed masterpeiece. The well blended notes of angelica, vanilla, tuberose and incense is trully addictive. It is beautifully worn in the cold season, it has a gourmandy 'play-doh' note in the middle stage that is ethereal. Longevity is average and wears close to the skin in the last few hours but that is fine with me as I love spritzing it on carelessly as I have a whole 8.4 oz flacon to indulge myself in. My husband loves nozzling my neck when I wear this.
24th June, 2007