Reviews by fasty

fasty's avatar
    fasty

In Leather Man by Etienne Aigner

An initial blast of citrus followed by very pleasing, smooth leathery, spicy notes.
    Very different to Knize Ten, which left me almost gasping and I'd need to be in a very brave mood to wear, or Cuiron which seems a much rougher more masculine leather.
    Unfortunately the leather basenotes seemed quite weak for me, didn't last many hours and the sillage was very poor. Perhaps I got old stock?

15 June, 2007

Eau Sauvage Fraîcheur Cuir by Christian Dior

An intense rush of citrus in the top note, fresh lemon zest.
    The mid notes are too complex for my inexpert nose to describe well but I can certainly detect orange blossom in there.
    Basenotes are warm, subtle, woody and leather is definitely there.
    A definite favourite !

Fahrenheit 32 by Christian Dior

Inoffensive, but rather too floral and feminine for my liking.
    This reminds me of something unremarkable by CK that I didn't buy.

Knize Ten by Knize

I found the opening note somewhat akin to a punch on the nose. Pungent, artifical, chemical, not one I enjoyed.
    After a couple of hours however it calms down to an unusual earthy spicey note which I quite like.
    The particular leather note I was hoping for isn't there at all for me though.
    I'd echo the "definitely try before buy" on this one.

Hugo Dark Blue by Hugo Boss

A pleasing clean fresh combination of citrus and spicy top notes, not too flowery.
    I thought the basenotes were weak and dissappointing considering I generally like what is (supposed) to be there.
    This is the sort of frag I wear at work when I'm wearing a suit! It's not going to offend anyone.

Fleur du Male by Jean Paul Gaultier

I tried this in a duty-free shop and wished I hadn't.
    It starts out much to flowery for me and I missed the basenotes that I enjoy from Le Male

Obsession for Men by Calvin Klein

Spicy notes make a pleasant change to the slighty samey cK frags.
    I rather like it on winter evenings, but for me there's just a bit too much sweet vanilla in there.

Le Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

I've recently rediscovered Le Male after a period of absence.
    Yes, to be blunt it seemed "common as muck" a few years ago, perhaps emphasised by the strong sillage.
    But to my mind, that shouldn't detract from the fact that it is, in my opinion, an original and well composed fragrance.
    It can be a trifle overpowering at first unless used sparingly, but I find the coumarin and sandalwood notes of the drydown very relaxing.

Diesel Zero Plus by Diesel

Certainly very "full-on" at initial application, like an explosion in a spice shop. I dare not use more than a tiny spray of this.
    But on my skin the drydown and sillage is fabulous and almost annoyingly long-lasting. It creeps out of the laundry basket next day and says "hello again".
    I've had several nice compliments about Zero Plus, and been profoundly embarassed to advise that it was available at supermarket clearance prices.

cK one by Calvin Klein

Fresh, original, inoffensive but not profoundly exciting.
    Good for work wear !

Contradiction for Men by Calvin Klein

Definitely one of my favourite cKs, and I've tried most of them too.

Oddly, unlike other cKs, I find it seem to leave a slightly annoying "sticky" residue on my skin.

04 June, 2007