Reviews by irish

Fat Electrician by Etat Libre d'Orange

I am not sure why Vibert says that this is ironic. I am a fat electrician :D, and the combination of opoponax and vetiver reminds me of the smell of that varnish with which the wire of a coil is insulated. All of a sudden I remembered myself opening boxes of PLCs, motors and drives. This is a delicious smell and it has just the right amount of vanillic sweetness (very similar to the one found in Ambre Gris by Balmain) to give it some dimension. As it dries down, the syrupy vanilla vanishes and the incense and vetiver become very dry, which reduces the elegance but increases the seriousness. Perhaps in there you will find the irony. The only problem is that it has no projection or longevity whatsoever.
19th November, 2009

Ice*Men by Thierry Mugler

An aquatic with patchoulli? Who would have thunk? The overall efect is a balanced aquatic scent with a note of dirt. It is very different from previous TM creations.

3 sprays. Longevity: 7 Hours. Sillage: 40 cm.
02nd November, 2008

Arcus by Amouage

What?!! A $150 Escape? That is all I got. Calone, fruits, weak longevity and linearity.

4 Sprays. Longevity: 6 Hours. Sillage 60 cm.
02nd November, 2008

Rousse by Serge Lutens

Carnation? Jasmine?
sniff... sniff...
Argh! Help! I am in Cinnamon hell! And not gourmand cinnamon, but BIG RED© kind of cinnamon...
Get Skai instead.

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens

Old dust, smoke and vintage leather. My girlfrinds says it smells like a sweaty me. I am so egocenric that I will give this a thumbs up.

Fleurs d'Oranger by Serge Lutens

This is a masculine point of view.

This fragrances is a Floral Oriental, sweet and heavy. The Orange Flower note is not very peculiar and the overall scent is pretty linear. Much more appropriate for a woman than a man. It has good longevity and good sillage, but it will not be a sillage emanating from me.

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens

Now this is a true amber!
I am not sure that is a good thing, but it is definitelly natural and very reminicent of Southamerican copal. It is dry, sticky and sirupy. It smells like a forest during a dry winter: dead leaves and resin.

L'Eau de Jatamansi by L'Artisan Parfumeur

This is a cup or Earl Grey Tea during a summer morning.

It is a watered down spicy citrus floral mix.
16th October, 2008

Coney Island by Bond No. 9

Pathetitc mixture of set sail saint barts (fake margarita and fake guava) and CDG soda. A fruity, creamy, aquatic combo that fails to stay together as a fragrance.
16th May, 2008

Blue Amber by Montale

So I open the envelope were my fragrance was scent... it smelled, well, like amber. Old, aged, vintage amber. Innocently I smell the atomizer, ah! there you are vanilla! Should I? should I spray it on my wrist? So I do. A mushroom cloud is formed where my house used to be. Some people reported that on a radius of 20 km, 60 year old women cried remembering their first love, 40 year old women had mild orgasms. 30 yo were droped to their knees on spasmic nirvana, and the 20 yo gagged and threw up. Some other people said the warm brezee that followed made the man feel more manly and the women more luxurious.

But I wouldn´t know. All I saw and smelled was an old tree rip itself in half and suddenly ignite. Maybe in a gesture of melacholy, maybe in an effort of liberation.
19th April, 2008

Fleur du Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier

The world was note prepared to smell this... This may be appreciated by some basnoters but in general it is seen as "way too Floral". IMO, this is an excellent scent, just some years ahead of its time.
15th April, 2008

White Musk for Men by Jovan

This is one the reasons I keep smelling drugstore fragrances. Every now and then I will find a nice surprise clean, easy to wear, very unisex and very skin-like, though a bit synthetic.
15th April, 2008

Allure Homme Sport Cologne by Chanel

Stupid names... Chanel should be more creative and actually come up with something new every time they come up with a new fragrance. That said, this one is very nice. People complain about logevity, but come on! It says COLOGNE. That is why it is a 5 oz bottle. It is very nice, reminiscent of D&G Light Blue for woman.
14th April, 2008 (last edited: 23rd December, 2009)

White Musk by Montale

The scent of a baby... beautiful, pure and clean.... a bit feminine but that is only because of its softness. Indeed a Great White Musk. The first time I wore it, I dreamt that GF was pregnant!
14th April, 2008

Geir by Geir Ness

10 seconds after application.
It is there... not offensive, that is good.
1 hour later.
it is still there, cool... I smell ahh... natural.
3 hours later.
A ball of grass rolls in front of you... It smells... nice.
6 hours later.
You hear a Cricket chirping... you smell nice someone says. Its Geir I say. And then we forget about it.

This is the the perfect gift for someone you do not know. Nice and safe scent... too nice and safe
13th November, 2007

Jordan by Michael by Michael Jordan

Smells Like CK one and Chrome. Same Family of safe, unisex, kind of aquatic scents. The difference is its tremendous longevity. On me, it is one of the top 5 that last the most.
08th November, 2007 (last edited: 04th June, 2008)

cK be by Calvin Klein

CK: So 90´s, so mainstram, so juvenile... I think.

But when I sit down on a windy friday afternoon to consider fragrances for what they are and aprecaite their value beyond names, I start to see. CK One, CK Be, Eternity Summer, Obsession Night, Crave are modest mainstream wonders.

CK Be is a weird scent. Not Masculine or femenine, just undefined. It has a GREAT longevity and sometimes it reminds me a little bit to Bulgari Black, and yet other times I feel that this is a Commes des Gacons type of scent. When you are not trying to impress or offend or if you just want to stand out by your simple weirdness, use CK Be. CK Be smells like using Converse, a black Tshirt and Jeans.
08th November, 2007

Virgin Island Water by Creed

meh... coconut, lime and salt; it makes me hungry. In my opinion it is not worth the money as it is just too bland, simple, unimaginative. Compared to Erolfa, SMW, and MI, this scent is a rather mediocre creation from creed. TRue, they improved the longevity but they delivered linearity. I can think of many scents under $30 that smell more complex and distinctive (Including a couple of CK's).
23rd October, 2007

Unforgivable by Sean John

At the begining I did like this scent. However, it has the worst shelf life ever. If you are going to buy it, get a small bottle, I didn't even get trough half of mine.
17th July, 2007