Reviews by bsn

bsn's avatar
    bsn

Power by 50 Cent

This is a nice fragrance, and its better than I had expected. It starts off citrusy and becomes spicy and sweet, then towards the end a woodsy scent remains. Don't automatically turn your nose up at this one just because it is a celebrity scent. Give it a try, its not bad at all.

27th December, 2009

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme Eau d'Été Summer Edition by Issey Miyake

I like this much better than the original and Summer Edition gets lot's of compliments from women. I don't find this to be potent on my skin, it's medium on silage and longevity when I wear it.

27th November, 2009

Only The Brave by Diesel

A really unique bottle, but I just can't get past the feeling that this is too powdery and feminine for me.

Artisan by John Varvatos

Cool bottle, fresh, clean, and green smell. Medium longevity on my skin.

DKNY Men (New) by Donna Karan

DKNY Men dries down to a been there, done that mens cologne.

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme by Gucci

Gucci by Gucci pour Homme is soft, subtle, and stays close to the skin. The notes harmonize into a slightly sweet and warm woody scent that reminds me more of cedar than cyprus. All together the effect is warm and pleasant and decidedly more mature than sexy. I don't think this scent deserves the thumbs down reviews. Its a good choice if someone is looking for something safe, subtle, and inoffensive. It would probably be perfect to wear to church or a business meeting where you don't want to make a bad first impression.

30th November, 2008

Infusion d'Homme by Prada

I received a sample vial at the perfume counter and wore it twice. I get a strong soapy note (Amber Pour Homme) and Iris. This fragrance borders on the feminine side of clean. I'm sure there will be plenty of Basenotes reviews in favor of this fragrance. However for me, I just can't say I like this new Prada there is something about this scent that borders on nauseating.

13th October, 2008

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Green Irish Tweed is a very fresh, clean, and enjoyable fragrance. GIT is truly worthy of being called a modern classic. It is not hard to see why GIT remains so popular. GIT is very similar to Cool Water, but to my nose GIT is the better of the two products with velvety smooth ingredients that harmonize incredibly well together.

The only two downsides to this fragrance are it's high cost and low to medium longevity. On both cost and longevity Cool Water can claim a minor victory though GIT still out classes it.

20th May, 2008

A*Men Pure Coffee by Thierry Mugler

A*Men Pure Coffee is a kinder gentler variation of A*Men. A*Men Pure Coffee comes in a eye catching box that sort of mimics a small bag of Coffee. The box has a unique sent spot on it that sort of smells like the actual product, however the sample spot is not quite the same as the fragrance. I would not make purchase decision based on the scent spot affixed to the box, you will need to try this on the skin to perceive the true scent. Inside the box is a 3.4 dark brown rubber flask with a golden anodized star protruding from the flask.

A*Men Pure Coffee starts out with a burnt coffee and chocolate theme, then as time progresses, a slightly toned down version of A*Men emerges. The addition of more coffee notes is pure genius. Just as coffee clears your nose at the perfume counter, the coffee notes do a good job of taking some of the edge off of the A*Men scent. To me, Pure Coffee is smoother and a bit more earthy than the original.

If you loved the original A*Men, you are probably going to love Pure Coffee. If you hated the original A*Men, then you might want to revisit this new offering. The coffee is an interesting twist that helps to smooth and blend the fragrance out just a bit. You might even change your mind.

10th April, 2008

Allure Homme Edition Blanche by Chanel

In my opinion, this is the best of all the Allure variations to date. It is a shame that this is a limited edition, If Chanel made this a regular offering, it would probably sell very well. I have only owned Edition Blanche for about two weeks, and I have already received compliments when I wearing it. EB starts off a bit of citrus and then presents a nice variation on the original. If you like any of the other Allure variations, I think you will love this one. Give it a try, but hurry.

02nd April, 2008

Old Spice by Procter & Gamble

I'm lucky enough to have a couple of bottles of the most excellent Shulton produced Old Spice. It's a excellent timeless composition albeit very pedestrian. I don't wear this in public too often, but its nice to put some on once in a while and take a trip down memory lane.

12th January, 2008

Allure Homme by Chanel

Allure Homme is a good all purpose scent. What I like about this fragrance is how it progresses and changes over several hours. It starts out fresh and gradually warms up presenting many different facets over the course of several hours. It is hard to get bored with this one.

12th January, 2008

Allure Homme Sport Cologne by Chanel

I own both Allure Homme and Allure Homme Sport and I enjoy both of them.

I have worn this new "Cologne" version of Allure and on many fronts, it is not as good as either of its older siblings. Give the others a try first.

CK In 2U Him by Calvin Klein

I made a fragrance purchase at Macy's and they gave me a small sample bottle of this. I have put it on twice and its safe to say that I'm not impressed. CK In 2U starts out with a fruity top note that sort of reminds me of an off brand lemon furniture polish. As the scent progresses, it drys down to mediocre blend of wood and musk. Its never a horrible scent, but to me, this is not the best CK fragrance available.

Fahrenheit by Christian Dior

I could not see wearing Fahrenheit as my everyday scent. However, in a strange way its an enjoyable change of pace that I can enjoy wearing once in a while. It has a strange calming effect on me.

This product does remind me a bit of petroleum, but its so much more than just that.

Antaeus by Chanel

I love this stuff! Antaeus is strong, masculine and old-school.

Antaeus starts out a bit sharp, but it dries down into a classy refined scent with excellent longevity.

Tom Ford for Men by Tom Ford

I like the basic scent of Tom Ford for Men, its a truly warm and likable fragrance. This could be a great multipurpose fragrance that would work for many occasions. However, both the longevity and the sillage leave a lot to be desired. This stuff stays very close to the skin and fades away in a couple of hours. Tom Ford for Men could be a great fragrance, but these short comings makes this offering somewhat of a disappointment for me.

Unforgivable Multi Platinum by Sean John

This is an excellent fragrance. Multi Platinum is very similar to the original version. On side by side comparison, the Multi Platinum version has a slight citrus edge, and a bit more intensity.

Vintage by John Varvatos

This is a nice fragrance. Vintage sort of reminds me of pumpkin pie cooking in the oven the night before thanksgiving. I actually like it better than the original John Varvatos. The only problem is that it does not last very long on my skin. If I apply this in the morning, it is pretty much gone by lunch time. That's too bad, this would be a winner if it would only last as long as the original John Varvatos.

Marc Jacobs for Men by Marc Jacobs

I really like Marc Jacobs for Men. The first blast is a bit too much for most noses, but given a little time, it quickly develops into something much better. There is an interesting balance of fig, musk, woody notes, and spices. This all adds up to a very fresh and masculine fragrance. This is one of my favorite "change of pace" fragrances. It is a perfect choice when I want a change of routine.

Lacoste pour Homme by Lacoste

While this is not my favorite fragrance, it is one of my favorite Lacoste fragrances. LPH starts out a bit fruity, but it quickly turns into a nice, warm, and sporty fragrance. I enjoy wearing it a couple of times a month and I will probably buy it again when my current bottle is empty. The sillage and longevity are about average on my skin.

Rochas Man by Rochas

This is a nice gourmand with a strong sweet vanilla emphasis in the dry down. Perhaps, Rochas Man is not the most masculine scent, but it is very nice just the same. This is my 3rd favorite Gourmand.

Feeling Man by Jil Sander

I used to own this, and I would buy it again if only I could find it. The fragrance was great! The bottle design never really fit the fragrance and was bit on the cheap side.

Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler

There is something strangely likable about this fragrance. Its nice and clean like a bar of fine soap. It's perfect when you want to smell clean and shower fresh on hot summer days. I find this a perfect choice for days when you know you are going to be enjoying outdoor activities. This cologne has excellent longevity and perfect sillage.

This Thierry Mugler Cologne is also a good value, you get quite a bit for the money if you invest in the larger sized bottle.

What's not to like? A big thumbs up!

Acqua di Giò pour Homme by Giorgio Armani

I have owned Acqua di Gio pour Homme, since it hit the market. I like this fragrance, but it has become so common, that I hardly wear it anymore. I usually put it on during a hot humid summer day, when I'm hanging around my home. I rarely wear this one out. Acqua di Gio's market success has made it become very familiar and pedestrian.

Light Blue Pour Homme by Dolce & Gabbana

This smells OK as a sample on paper, but on my skin, it develops a burnt rubber smell. I think that the grapefruit notes are too intense. In my opinion Aqua Di Gio is better.

28th November, 2007

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

Be Delicious Men might play well with some men's body chemistry, but on my skin it turns somewhat vile! I get a sour, fruity, mixture of rotting apples and a strange synthetic near aquatic smell. This may very well be a perfect scent if I were a fruit fly, but its just too sour and fruity to suit my tastes.

I waited for the great dry-down that some reviewers have mentioned, but it never materialized for me. Instead this fragrance faded down fairly fast. Normally, a short-lived performance would be a negative, but in this case, I’m not going to complain.

My advice would be to give this fragrance a try on your skin before you make a purchase decision.

24th November, 2007

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

I own this, but rarely wear it. L'Homme is not bad, but not great either. I guess that I just cannot get past the fact that there is something about the dry down in L'Homme that reminds me a bit of the hairspray that my mom used to use.

The bottle design is very cool.

13th October, 2007

Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

This is a wonderful dry citrus scent, that creates a warm earthy mood. My wife and I both love Terre d'Hermes. This fragrance is great for summertime, the office, or any occasion. On my skin the scent lasts all day long and produces a medium sillage.

While I think most Basenotes members will enjoy this scent, it is unique enough that I would urge you to try it before you buy it. I think most people will be glad that they did get a chance to experience this uniquely warm, earthy fragrance.

13th October, 2007