Reviews by eRL00p

eRL00p's avatar
    eRL00p

Zen for Men White Heat Edition by Shiseido

The notes interested me so I picked up a bottle. It has a lightly sweet understated and intoxicating presence to it. Its for men, but can easily be unisex or possibly feminine. It smells like crushed up smarties candies with sharp fruity notes to it. This fragrance plays between perfumy and musky mens cologne scents. It has sharp fruits like apple lime and pears, but is slightly musky at the same time. I enjoy it, but I havent received many compliments on it and since its borderline masculine, its not for everyone. M;O* by masaki matshushima is much better, and has the same crushed up smarties candies presence. Ill wear this again on a hot summer day out in the sun where this will really shine and prove to be a sharply sweet masculine musky scent. On any other day, its borderline feminine. I can imagine this working well with a fresh shower, 5 o'clock shadow and well dressed for a formal night out, but anything else its borderline feminine.

30th December, 2012

M;0°С by Masakï Matsushïma

Ordered this on a blind buy after reading the notes. It is wonderfully understated and sweet. It hangs close to the skin, yet other people really notice it. It smells like frozen green apples, and crushed up smarties candies with nice musk undertones. It has a very clean scent to it and is adored by my wife. I wear it on days off, while relaxing at home, in addition to days at work. Very refined and versatile cologne. One of my immediate favorites and the best thing about it, its very different from my other fragrances. The "crushed up smarties" candy scent reminds me of shiseido zen white heat, but thats too feminine for my tastes while m;o* is more masculine and to my liking.

30th December, 2012

Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond / Mandorlo di Sicilia by Acqua di Parma

I went to get a refill bottle of Arancia Di Capri but the store was completely out! I tested the other Blu Mediterraneo fragrances and this one really amazed me. It initially smells like almonds and rootbeer. its sweet, but not candied sweet and its not quite a gourmand either. The longevity on this one is amazing! I will still smell it the next day after I wake up.

Many people have said that I "smell like I've been tanning," and i think its the vanilla/almond aspect to it. Either way, I have received tons of comments and really love wearing it. I have worn it just about every day since I bought it about a month ago-- that is very unusual for me.

I expect it to still be wearable in winter since it is a warmer thicker scent, and would hopefully do great in the cold dry winter air. I imagine it being extremely potent in the summer months, but I have Arancia Di Capri for that time of year.

13 October, 2011

Ruehl No. 925 by Ruehl No. 925

AMAZING!

Refined scent and Very manly. Its is the best after a few hours-- it seems to totally change its scent from its beginning to when it matures later on. When I first bought this I thought I had mistakenly bought the wrong one (they would spray this in the store), but it matures to a lovely musk. I used to spray it on my jeans the night before and in the morning they would have that amazing scent attached to them. Its very strong at first but matures to 'the goodness.'

Its difficult to name the notes in this, since its obviously synthetic-- I can just say that it is a manly musk for the 2000s age. It reminds me of jeans, leather, musk and water.

I have not come across any other fragrances which smell like this, so its also difficult to compare it to something else.

The bottle is modeled after an old ink well, which fits its personality since its a 2000s update to the traditional masculine musk scent. Top Notch.

25 March, 2011

Blu Mediterraneo Capri Orange / Arancia Di Capri by Acqua di Parma

The initial blast of fresh squeezed oranges is amazing. It is bright, crisp and juicy sweet. Like others say, it avoids the synthetic candy zone. It is surprisingly natural smelling and oh so delicious.
    Great for hot summer days. Others complain about lasting power, but i find that 2-3 sprays will last 8 hours for me. I will sometimes reapply midday or before dinner.

The Mandarin Orange notes change over time. Sometimes its fresh orange juice, at others its orange rinds, and sometimes its just a soft orange scent. All are very good.

The dry down on this one is interesting. It is like a caramel with hints of orange.

Overall its very good. It does have lasting power on me, but it does not always project very far. However, it is one of the few fragrances I can smell on myself ALL day long. it will still be there when i wakeup. If you like the initial blast of oranges, then you will probably enjoy this one. Its a shame its so expensive, but its natural scent makes it stand apart from all the popular scents out there.

25 March, 2011

Fahrenheit Summer by Christian Dior

I wear this one year round. Its sharp citrus with pepper, pepper and more constant pepper. I like how it picks up in winter and still has power, even though it is a summer named fragrance. The motor oil note from the original Fahrenheit is gone, and leaves the bright fruity notes with pepper sprinkled across the board. Its a simple yet amazing fragrance.

13 October, 2009

Ed Hardy Man by Christian Audigier

The chalky brown candy people have been mentioning, is a sort of tootsie roll chocolate, with light sharp citrus. I originally bought both this and love and luck for men, and let my brother choose which one he wanted for christmas. He choose this one and I remember being disappointed--it was the good one. After not smelling it for so long, I can pickup a synthetic background which reminds me of freshly opened plastic sealed packages. It is somewhat like a polo double black with less fruity notes, and thicker chocolate/coffee? notes. Fall has just begun, and this seems like the perfect time for me to start using my .5oz bottle. The air here gets really sharp, dry and cold--these thicker gourmand type fragrances thrive in that atmosphere.

01st October, 2009

cK one Summer 2007 by Calvin Klein

This begins with a grapefruit tartness to it, and keeps the citrus scent throughout its lifetime. It is very nice, but as a man, I couldn't find myself wearing it too much. I think this is perfect as a woman's scent, just as I have said with other ck one scents (electric). One of the greatest things about hte ck one summer series is that you can find the match for you-- there are many yet only a few appeal to me as a guy.
    This still gets a thumbs up, I would find myself wearing this frequently, and it seemed to last me a long while. This one helped me through spring, yet got too powerful for me in summer (I dont like the lower notes on this one-- which intensify with heat. If you like the entire scent, this is only a good thing). If you like citrus sour scents, this one is for you. The tartness of the lasting grapefruit is what appealed most to me. It also gives off a very nice Clean vibe to it, yet has Zero trace of that soapy smell I come across so often in fragrances. It worked great for me in the colder spring months, and only turned up with the summer heat. Test this one out, if you like it, its a keeper which will continually please.

13 August, 2009

D&G L'Amoureaux 6 by Dolce & Gabbana

this is a soft fragrance with light citrus and ends with a wood & pepper combo. that softness of the scent fades to open more citrus and the hint of pepper in the middle. The pepper stays towards the end leaving a woody/light-pepper base. It is an interesting one. I liked it at first but thought it may be to simple due to it being unisex. Its pleasant without being overly manly or too feminine. It is a soft scent, but not a full on gourmand, which I like. It has the citrus and light pepper so its something different for guys. I do not know all too much on womens perfumes, but I think the softness of this scent allows a woman to pull it off. Overall, this L'Amoureaux think it accomplishes that through its light nature. It seems like a breeze would destroy this fragrance, not carry it. It is just a light pleasant smell, doesn't say much aloud, yet smells great when you have the chance. It seems like you would have to use this perfume in long spells. It is one that seems to get better every time you smell it-- you usually do not detect all the notes the first few times you smell it.

03 August, 2009

Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

This is Polo Black with a Wood base. I really like these kind of fragrances, but landed on Polo Black as my favorite. The wood base on this sometimes overpowers the fruity notes, which then return showing more power. Its a nice and fighting kind of fragrance; I feel like the wood and citrus notes are battling to be most prominent. It is interesting and I am surprised I went so long without testing it. Aqua is a great aquatic fragrance

03 August, 2009

Lacoste Challenge by Lacoste

I made a trip to the mall to test this new fragrance out. I was severely disappointed. I read these reviews and yes, the plastic note is not all that bad. It smells like some of the other lacoste fragrances I have smelled over the past few years. This one is pretty bad though, it took two separate washings to remove this stench. It was so distrubing i felt a nose bleed coming on. I regretted the two sprays on wrist instead of using a blotter card. I had high hopes for this one, but it let me down.
    I can see someone pulling this fragrance off. if you have a thick b.o. problem, this one may Cut right through it. otherwise, this one is too Sharp and bright for my tastes

01st August, 2009

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

I really wanted this one to work. It reminds me of artificial grape stuff--(ie gum). it does not really smell like grape, it is what I would picture a grape barber soap to smell like. its like someone is trying to put a new artificial spin on something natural. This one really irritated my skin. I felt like my skin was burning. I originally bought this for my brother for christmas, but returnd it after the aftershave was destroying my skin in fear of the same effects on him. John Varvatos Rock 1 is fairly similar to this one, only not as long lasting. If you really like the barbershop smell, go for Givenchy Very Irresistible Fresh Attitude, it is what a new age barbersoap scent should smell like.
    Overall, I liked this fragrance but it worked horribly on my own skin :/

01st August, 2009

Eternity Summer for Men 2009 by Calvin Klein

I meant to try this one out when I first saw it in stores a few months ago (before summer began), but I loved ck one summer 2009 so much I bought that one right away.
    When first sprayed, it is a bit leafy and fruity smelling= very good. It looses the leafiness quick but retains the fruity melon-y notes for a while. I would have bought this one today if I had not already bought a summer fragrance. If you think ck one summer 2009 is a bit too feminine, buy this-- they are in the same category. both are fruity and candy smelling without being sticky or overly sweet. I didnt wear this one long enough to pickup the peppery notes ThrowingShade describes, but I may have to take another look at it-- I have a good amount of citrus/fruity frags and have been looking more for a masculine scent for days when I do not shave. odysseusm places this fragrance well-- if you are looking for a citrus fruity fragrance, this one is pretty good. In the end, I would buy this fragrance If I came across it at a good price-- but as for now im set for "summer" fragrances.

31st July, 2009

DKNY Red Delicious Men by Donna Karan

I get a blast of rum/ booze at first, and lowers down on my skin to apples and grapefruit, i also get a bit of either brown sugar or cinnamon. It doesnt really have a lot going on at once, but it is complex, which is nice. It is a scent which probably will not get mistaken for another (besides regular be delicious of course) It stays horribly low on the skin, yet is thick. It has a 'sticky' aspect to it, kinda like a kid slapped your arm with a lollipop. I remember this really wowed me when i first tried it in store, and i bought it a few years later after it disappeared in stores.
    zztopp is right, you must overdose on this. by overdose, i mean 5-6 sprays instead of the usual 2-3. too little sprays and your like wth, its hardly there. go for 5-6 and you've got yourself a nice thick fragrance which doesnt project itself really far. I like this fragrance, but it has its problems. the booze notes are not my thing, as i do not want to get mistaken for an alcoholic. I feel like im spreading honey or some thick juice on my body whenever i wear this, but it is only appealing to me when i go overboard. This scent has an afterscent. When closeby you smell the rum and some fruits, but the further you get from it, the more the apple note sticks in your nose. I guess its just too much for my nose to handle. due to its thickness, it should be a great winter fruity scent-- not many fruity scents can survive in the dead cold of winter, but I think this is the contender for that fight. I got this last summer and 2-3 sprays would give me a headache on a hot day. its pleasant but it can become overbearing. I personally prefer fragrances that 'power up' as my body heats up, and like i just said, this one only gets overbearing as your body heat intensifies.

complex, but it can be a great scent. Ill be testing it out again in the winter time. I can envision it mixing great with the light crisp winter air. summertime = too much.

30th July, 2009

DKNY Be Delicious Men by Donna Karan

I came across this one shortly after it came out. It is a fresh fruity scent which comes close to that overly synthetic vibe from lacoste fragrances. I bought the aftershave first, which wreaked havok on my skin-- im not sure if i was using too much.... or if it was simply the aftershave. either way, i do not have this problem with other scented aftershaves. Instead of buying the spray bottle, i bought the dkny red delicious for men, which i thought smelled better in store... hmm. back on track, this one is nice, and its consistent. You will smell good for a while and its a playful fragrance. This seems to have disappeared from many of the mall stores, yet is still available in some (macys). I am sure I can find a bottle of this super cheap on ebay someday, and that is probably the day I will buy one.

30th July, 2009 (Last Edited: 13 August, 2009)

Metal Jeans Men by Versace

This is a different one. I bought this in January, and was shocked others thought of this as a good one. It was so putrid and not what I was expecting at all. I had thought I got a bad batch, but I wore some today and I must say it is much much better in summertime. The other more favorable notes pick up and thrive only in the heat. If you like YSL or Ed Hardy Love & Luck, Metal jeans is a similar category [putrid as i call it] scent that may be for you. It is the kind of scent you must wear in the right weather, not forcing yourself to wear it everyday*****
    I hated this scent when I first got it in the mail. I had looked so hard to find it and had to wait longer for the right day to come by chance and have this scent reveal its potential. It dies in the cold, leaving behind an odd smell on my skin. When wearing this in summertime, it brightens up and i get the watermelony notes. It does lose its fruity scent fairly fast, but it keeps making comebacks in the heat when im wearing it. The basenotes are very nice. its part the beginning\\ part something new. This is probably the best stage because you can still catch the earlier notes (unlike other fragrances) but a thicker base is apparent too.

29 July, 2009

Boss in Motion White Edition by Hugo Boss

I did a blind buy of this one after reading the fragrance notes here on basenotes. It is similar to Dolce & Gabanna Light Blue, only instead of the Mediterranean lemon notes, it has a slight citrus tinge to it. I prefer it over light blue btw.

The original boss in motion was obivously an orange fragrance, full and pleasant-noticeably there. White edition is very light, it hangs close to the body and lasts a long time on my body. I have very few fragrances which project such a short range,, and in this fragrances case, it is not necessarily a bad thing. I still havent pinpointed the perfect occasion to wear this, as it is a bit sporty, a bit refined, somewhat casual and works really well--only it does not stand out in any huge way.
    To wrap it up, this is a great light scent that hangs close to the body-- great for days when you wanna keep your loved one close. light, yet apparent that it is there.

im giving it a neutral rating because i expected it to be more like the original (aka citrus gourmand type) based on the ingredient pyramid. good, yet not amazing. not at all bad though too.

cK one Summer 2009 by Calvin Klein

I have been following the ck one summer fragrances for a lil' while. Most of them are too borderline feminine for me to wear everyday, but this one is a keeper for sure. It reminds me of lime lick-a-color popsicles. It is light but projects itself fairly far. It intensifies when my body heats up which is one reason why it is a perfect summer fragrance. I have a few of the other ck one summers, many of which dry down to a powdery feminine base--this is not the case in this one. It is consistent its entire lifetime. I saw this at tjmaxx last week for $25, and I will be going back tomorrow in hopes of picking up a spare bottle before this years version comes off store shelves.
    I said this one is not as feminine as the past ck one summers, but it is not very masculine either. I usually pair it with a shot of Fahrenheit Summer-- the pepper in that is unmistakably male. I find myself using this fragrance to spritz my clothes midday before heading back out, even when I begin the day with another fragrance. Totally delightful and worth checking out.

28 July, 2009 (Last Edited: 31st July, 2009)

SoCal Cologne by Hollister

I bought SoCal when it first came out at HCO. It is a nice scent, but the tropical notes kinda put me off--just not my style. it has a sort of coconut/pineapple accord to it, which lowers down to a soft all around good scent.
    As of the time of this writing, this is the scent HCO uses to spray their stores down-- if your walking past an HCO and like the scent, go inside and check it out. I prefer HCO Jake much more, it has that same soft vibe to it, but without the tropical notes.

Calvin Klein Man by Calvin Klein

This scent reminds me of a less refined version of Kiton Black. This is a more "melty" creamy version, opposed to the sharp, brisk kiton black. It is very nice, but in the end it did not get my money. Think of this as a more modern Grey Flannel.

Kiton Black by Kiton

Kiton Black is in my top 5 fav fragrances. The aftershave is marvelous! It just works wonders on my skin. lasts very long for me, extremely pleasant, fruity WithOut being sugary-sweet at all. It is like Abercrombie Fierce without the metal note to it. I do pickup the suede note, and overall, the fragrance is very comfortable. A night outside, combined with a light breeze to bring the scent towards others= wonderful.

A little goes a long way-- 2 sprays Max. the aftershave is so calming, my skin is instantly cooled and i usually do not need moisturizer after. Some aftershaves make me feel like I just shaved with an old nicked razer, while this one leaves my skin (gummy? baby skin?)-- however you want to say it, it is my favorite aftershave. It seems a bit out of place for everyday use, unless your wearing a suit day to day. i do not pickup the dirty or wood notes, and I would have never guessed lemon was in it. Read Bingos review, it describes it well.

Sunset Heat for Men by Escada

at first test, you will know this fragrance. It is sweet, very fruity and perfect for a summer vacation. It doesnt last as long as I would like, but I can see it giving me a headache if it were any stronger. When I sprayed this on a sample card, it dried down to a feminine powdery scent, but on my skin it fades down to a non-existent base. my main complaint with it was the feminine notes lurking on that card, but my bottle is halfway gone and I have yet to discover that note on my skin.
    I bought two bottles at a tjmaxx for about $20-25 each. They had a giftset there last time i stopped in, but someone had taken the bottle.... not that I really need any more of it, but the shower gel would have been nice to have. Like another said before, I am able to apply this in the morning and switch up my fragrance later on in the day without any mixing going on after it has faded away.

Definitely worth checking out. Its a love it or hate it kind of thing due to it being aimed at the younger crowd. It is sad this is discontinued, I have an extra bottle on hand, but I would really like to pair it with the shower gel for the complete fragrance aura. Great affordable fragrance, I just do not want to get ripped off when I go to pickup another bottle years from now.

Jake by Hollister

wow. i am very surprised by the low ratings this is getting on basenotes. yes, I am picking up the bug repellent note after other basenotes members pinpointing it, but I have never thought of that before.

HCO Jake is a soft, well rounded fragrance. I used to always wear this one after showering-- when I would be lounging around the house before bed. it is a very nice relaxing scent and the girls 17-22 I know all love it. so for the teenager crowd, its lovely. I believe the bugspray note is supposed to support the hollister outdoors surfer scent/look. with that being said, its probably not the best office scent, nor the best evening/date scent, but it is the one i go to when i plan to stay in and Relax the rest of the day.

Boss in Motion by Hugo Boss

this is a somewhat expensive fragrance, but when you look at the bottle you can see why its priced a lil bit higher than other fragrances. 1.3 oz instead of 1.7 3.0 oz instead of 3.4.
    i believe this is a gourmand type scent, although it is not disgusting like many other gourmands i come across. This one lasts very well over time for me, and works well when i heat up. My brother used to sneak into my room and use this one all the time~
    It took me a long time to get a second bottle, but once i did, i wore it almost everyday for 2 weeks. That is Very Rare for me. Im on basenotes, i doubt the majority of us stick to one fragrance.

This is a different fragrance, but Not one of those "do i like it or not" types. It is very nice, it can be very versatile-- i wear it to the gym, and out for evening dates. it is just so delicious. It is a shame the other Boss In Motion fragrances are so synthetic and weak lasting. I made a journey out to try the others and was sadly disappointed by this ones siblings. Stick with this boss in motion-- ive received compliments from those I had hoped to make an impression on.

Casual Friday by Escada

I tested this out yesterday at the mall. It is WONDERFUL!
    if you love Diesel Fuel For Life, or Polo Double Black, this scent is for you. It is like the two combined. It really reminds me of Australian soft licorice. they only had the aftershave for $38, so I did not buy it. I am going to be keeping an eye out for this in stores.

It is a very soft and full bodied fragrance. I assume it is great for winter wear; the light crisp December air should only make this more delicious. Both my bottles of Diesel FFL have run out-- it was my everyday winter scent and worked so well with the outside air. I may end up buying the aftershave considering the only thing holding the diesel cologne back from being my scent of choice was it does not come in an aftershave version. I wonder how well the two pair together~

27 July, 2009

cK one Summer by Calvin Klein

I picked this up about a month ago. It smells VERY similar to ck one electric, only this one is more sharp and crisp, whereas electric is more sweet and watery.
    The drydown makes it a little feminine for a guy to wear :/ but I still enjoy it from time to time. Its powerful, which is great, because it will last even longer :)

i bought electric when it came out, but ended up giving it to my gf bc of negative comments from others "are you wearing perfume??." This one has a nice twist, and it reminds me of my girl so I like to wear it. It is a great scent to compliment ck one electric ^-^

another note: this one is very different from the other ck one summers'. very nice addition to my collection.

08 January, 2009

Tommy Summer 2008 by Tommy Hilfiger

blah- search for an older tommy summer bottle. "Anchors away" bottle smells amazing.
    back on topic, this one smells deacent, but i get a hint of vanilla or some other creamy scent which put me off as a summer scent.

26 December, 2008

Tommy Summer Cologne 2003 by Tommy Hilfiger

not the summer scent I had expected, but it works quite nice on my skin. It is a watery -slightly sweet- soap scent. I usually dislike soapy scents, but this one has a light touch of soap instead of the in your face soapy notes other fragrances have. It does not last all day, but it is winter right now so im eager to test it out in summer time.

I use this more as a sport cologne because of how the soapy accords give off a nice clean scent.

26 December, 2008

Very Irresistible for Men Fresh Attitude by Givenchy

Received this in the mail today, and wore it to work. It starts off creamy, with a top of mint- the mint leaves and it goes to the mid notes/base. It is heavy and consistent the entire time its on my skin. It lasts a long time, and hardly changes at all. The main notes in this remind me of a new age "barbershop " cologne- it has that typical cologne smell, but its one of its own. I would compare it to a shaving cream scent, that is creamy and tasty. A lil ways into the fragrances lifespan, a new note emerges- im not sure if its a light pepper or a type of wood- either way, its great. Fahrenheit is too strong of a pepper scent for me, and fresh attitude is of a new category, one i can enjoy wearing.

This scent reminds me of a guy in his late 20s- early 30s, 5 o clock shadow- chiseled face and great clothes. While working out, the scent only intensified, and I faintly regretted the 3 sprays, as 2 is more than enough. It is now winter, and I expect this fragrance to be unwearable in summer time, because it is Very Heavy and Thick. Its a great winter fragrance, which is why I purchased it.

11th December, 2008

Love and Luck for Men by Ed Hardy [Christian Audigier]

Saw this at Macys today=- I almost bought this blind online bc I really like the regular Ed Hardy. After smelling this fragrance, I would not have felt bad purchasing blind bc it is in the right category for me.

It is a nice light fresh (kinda fruity) scent, which seems very familiar to me. I would say its like a combination between Aqua Di Gio, YSL and another mystery scent. When first sprayed, It has a nice sharp lemony citrus scent- which quickly looses the lemony smell and goes into a deeper citrus. I smell the violet, and I love it, it gives a nice smooth center which sets this one apart from the fragrances it reminds me of.
    I sprayed this on my hand @ Macys, then walked over to Nordstrom hoping to find a gift set- they did not even have this fragrance out- they said January- so I went back over to Macys and picked up a bottle.
    If you loose yourself in teh fragrance, you pick up a faint pungent smell. This is where it reminds me of YSL. YSL works horribly on my skin, but Love and Luck seems to work wonders so far.

The base is nice, not too strong, not anything special. It has quite a few common notes to it, yet still manages to create its own scent. This will be a common fragrance in my repertoire.

06 December, 2008