Reviews by fernwood

fernwood's avatar
    fernwood

Atlantic by Strange Invisible Perfumes

This starts out like a symphony orchestra warming up- tuning up if you will. I get an explosion of scents all at once. Lavender leads but I keep getting an overall leather scent weaving in and out of the mix. If you try hard you can discern each ingredient. This settles down to the main score- a delicious melody. Finally all ingredients playing on the same page. This is not any one note dominating fragrance. The typical fragrance pyramid does not apply either. The English peppermint seems to hold the whole arrangement together but does not totally dominate. This is one well balanced and thought out fragrance. The quality of ingredients above reproach. The drydown is a beautiful blend of the sandalwood and frankincense. A splendid balance. As with all Alexandra's perfumes you are transported into a whole other world of perfumery. The difference between mass marketed scents and smaller perfumers is nothing short of stunning. The difference between a cheap transistor radio from the 50's and hi-fi. The difference between analog and digital today. The one organic the other sterile. By comparison mass marketed scents seem cheap and synthetic. And in fact most are. Her web page says of Atlantic-"majestic, spirited, commanding". Ok not much more to add really.

Number Six by Caswell-Massey

This has been around for some time. It smells like history in a good way. Starting with the citrus and rosemary it dries down to a spicy muskiness. Stays close to the skin and I get 6 or more hours out of this. A good old fashioned original cologne suitable for every occasion.

Patchouly by Profumum

I've always liked patchouly ever since the 60's. That earthy smoky incense smell and you could wear it as a scent. Wow. I think my girlfriend wore it a lot then. Just the other night at dinner I noticed the waiter wearing patchouly. A young man barely out of his teens. It reminded me of all those years ago. It was not this patchouly though. This patchouly is the real deal. It starts out rugged raw and earthy but calms down quickly with a very nice sandalwood. The amber and incense add to the yin/yang feel to this scent. At once raw but smooth. Earthy but spiritual. Excellent sillage excellent longevity. A true winner from Profumum.

Duro by Nasomatto

This is powerful. Not for the timid. Right out of the gate there's the leather and woods. Not sure what spices. This really does smell like aoud. This is drier without the roses and band aid smell. Very masculine. Not sure I could wear it everyday though. Strong stuff.

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Avignon by Comme des Garçons

Ok. Church incense. I get it. Oddly to me it starts out with a scent I can only describe as rum. Strange I know. But it gets to the incense quick enough. I too grew up in the Catholic Church and I remember the incense burning on special occasions. This is a pale version of what I remember. I too get a wee bit of vanilla in this. This is far from what I would like as an incense scent. For that try Ambra Aurea. It's beginning is dead on to what I remember. This is too weak and perfumey.

The Dreamer by Versace

Very simple fragrance. Very sweet at first. Very modern I should think. This could easily be a unisex fragrance. I like the combination of lily and iris. One of my favorite combination of flower scents. The tobacco and amber together are very well done. There's juniper and tarragon listed but to my nose too subtle to discern much. Still the flowers and tobacco combo make this a winner. A very sensual modern masculine scent.

Versace Man Eau Fraîche by Versace

This is a very modern scent. Part of a trend I'm afraid. The youth of today seem to be all about the "unbearable lightness of being". Afraid to offend anybody and not seem cool, they opt for very casual featherweight fragrances. This is one of them. Citrus,herbal,and very light woods. The fragrance notes mention musk and amber. I've not detected any. Inoffensive to the extreme. Meh.

L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent

This is one of those scents that you think you got figured out right away but actually you need to pay a little more attention to get the full development. Three people put this together and I'm sure they didn't want it to look like a hodge podge of ideas. It is very smoothly done I think. I'm getting orange and ginger right off. A spicey sweetness that plays off each other well. There's a muskiness in the basil blossoms and violet leaves . Well done not to take away from the citrus and ginger but to anchor it . This gives it some dimension. The tonka bean finish pulls it all together. For me a well rounded modern scent from a great design house. Thumbs up!

16th October, 2010

Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligon's

From the sublime to the ridiculous. How can a scent go from a most beautiful citrus accord to such an austere drydown? Trying to one up Creed's vintage Tabarome in the power frag department I guess. At least Tabarome includes the tobacco note to give it a little humanity. BB is a scent for androids. The Mr. Smiths of the Matrix world would love this. Well Mr. Anderson--what will it be? The red or the blue? I'll take the red thank you. Besides every now and then I get a whiff of my Pirelli tires.

09th September, 2010

Classic 1920 by Bois 1920

I like this. It makes me happy. Yes it is linear with not much development. Right out of the gate what you see is what you get. Citron vetiver sandalwood and amber. To my nose this is well blended with the sandalwood and amber just holding the sweet citron in check. It's a fine line no doubt and for some it may not work. For me this is a pick me up in a bottle. Reminds me a little of C&E's Nomad but without the stronger sandalwood. Not much projection stays close to the skin just for you and your loved ones. Meraviglioso!

08th September, 2010

Absinth by Nasomatto

This is fairly linear. My nose tells me there is some spice, soft woods and musky flowers. Very modern I should say. The epitome of a niche fragrance in my opinion. In a good way. Actually just read JaimeB's and Asha's reviews as they are pretty much spot on.

Domenico Caraceni 1913 by Domenico Caraceni

I don't get the Dracula connotations with this . To me the rose while beautiful is much too light. This is refined and sophisticated. Maybe a Dracula Light? This is hard to pick out individual notes easily. A sign of a well blended scent in my opinion. Although there is something about this fragrance that just doesn't work for me. Something a little too sharp for me. Kind of like the smell of pencil shavings. Strange I know but there it is.

Original Vetiver by Creed

This is light very clean smelling soapy in a very good way. A good spring summer scent. Very well blended as most Creed scents are. Very natural smelling. Yes it is very similar to Mugler's cologne. But as Dullah says it's the megadose of habanolide that separates these two. At the end of the day the difference is smelling natural vs synthetic. I like the natural.

Blu Mediterraneo Mirto di Panarea by Acqua di Parma

This is as advertised. I smell Italy the Mediterranean . This is fresh aquatic clean. There is rose and some amber. Well done. I get the feeling that I'm walking on a street in Italy on the Mediterranean and I bump into a well dressed gentleman and I smell his freshly laundered shirt with a hint of the Acqua di Parma colonia he is wearing. Very nice.

Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Again what else can I say that hasn't been said 200 times before? I love this scent. What they all said. I'll just add that for me the beauty of GIT is in the fact that it feels so authentic. Each bottle can be slightly different. Like a homemade potion. For me it seems to revolve around the Iris and Violet Leaves. Some bottles seem to express more to the Violet side and others to the Iris side. Maybe it's just my nose. I don't know but whatever--I like this.

Cool Water by Davidoff

I'm with off-scenter on this one. why am I offering yet another review of Cool Water? What can I say that hasn't been said 200 times before? I don't know. This is not a bad scent. It's actually well constructed. Yes it's fresh aquatic green broke new ground in fragrance for the masses etc. Yes it's similar to GIT in the opening. Yes it's more synthetic than GIT. Yes it costs less than GIT. Yes everybody and their brother and apparently some of their sisters wore this and continue to wear this. Yes yes yes yes. I just prefer the real deal in this genre - GIT

Artisan by John Varvatos

this opens with a burst of clean sweet citrus -orange and maybe some candied lemon in the background. I'm liking it. It says ginger extracts in the pyramid but I'm getting something more grassy vetiver like. It's the drydown that disappoints me. Such a wonderful opening to be let down by the too light woods. This needed something more substantial to anchor the high flying sweet citrus. Still a great opening though.

Sandalo e The by Bois 1920

Very interesting development-- starts with tea and sandalwood but the tea leaves quickly and is replaced by the flowers jasmine and Bulgarian rose. The former stronger than the latter. A very creamy fragrance sweet with the lingering spice of the sandalwood. Projects well and is lasting. I don't get cumin or sweat at all. Just jasmine tea with some spice thrown in to balance it out. An ok scent . I want to like this more because of the jasmine but I guess it's just not my cup of The.

Platinum Égoïste by Chanel

a nice opening with the lavender and rosemary spicing things up a bit. I smell iris in the middle although that could be geranium and galbanum. a woody smoky ending is a nice touch. very youthful scent -well constructed not my style though. still thumbs up for its construction.

Chanel Pour Monsieur by Chanel

this is classy. I can see this being made in the 50's. to my nose this starts off like Creed's Royal English Leather. although not as loud. becomes more powdery with the drydown. stays close to the skin. this would be a great scent for someone not really wanting to make much of a statement but just exuding great style and sophistication. what's not to like? a winner.

Musgo Real No. 1 Orange Amber by Claus & Schweder

This fragrance starts with sweet mandarin orange and bergamot. Within minutes this opening accord morphs straight to the drydown of amber and musk. The result is a very clean soap smell. Not at all bad . I like it. Not unusual since the makers of this scent started and continue as soap manufacturers. Could be used for day or evening wear. A women's magazine once asked its readers to list the scents they enjoyed on men the most. All the great fragrances were duly listed -but the number 1 scent most women wanted to smell on men was- soap. Women like men to smell clean. This is amber and musk with some nice citrus scents. To my nose the very essence of manly cleanliness.

Tuscany / Etruscan by Aramis

This is a very simple fragrance. Using quality ingredients blended very well it seems to have transcended it's simplicity into something very beautiful. Linear-yes- but not to a fault. That is it's charm. Masculine-of course. Very distinctive. Very warm and inviting . Just as the Tuscany region itself. A very classy fragrance sure to please.

Dunhill for Men by Dunhill

Wow. What else can be said about this fragrance that has not already been said- especially so wonderfully by foetidus and others. Just to add my two cents worth I guess is all I can do. To reiterate- a classic gentlemen's scent if there ever was one. One to wear to the bank. For Dunhill to discontinue this is a travesty. Enjoy while you can.

Man of Aran by Burren Perfumery

I read about the Burren Perfumery being the oldest perfume makers in Ireland. They use the steam distillation method taking about 6 months and bottle by hand. I was intrigued so I bought this blind. It starts out with the sour citrus as noted . Different --more like a sweet grapefruit scent. This fades somewhat but never fully goes away. The drydown is very subtle. Green woods that somehow compliment the sour citrus . I like it. It's a change from the usual sweeter citrus scents. It's great for summer. I find I wear this more often. Completely naturally produced -I feel good wearing this and like the scent. mjclark is right -lasts about 6 hours and is gone without a trace-

01st November, 2007

1903 by J Peterman

I first smelled this scent in the early 90's at one of J. Peterman's mall stores. Simply amazing. Like nothing I had ever experienced. But my then girlfriend did not like any scents at all. Fast forward to 4 years ago - different girlfriend different reaction! Still amazing. Starts out with clean citrus, moves quickly through the green note and clary sage to get to the amazing drydown. The pyramid says it all . Smoky, woody, leather and incense. My favorite Autumn scents. Just like ratri my
    girlfriend cannot remove herself from my neck when I wear this. Thank you J. Peterman for taking a chance on that fitted leather train case

31st October, 2007