Reviews by johnponder

johnponder's avatar
    johnponder

St Johns Bay Rum with Lime by West Indies Bay Company

Smells great, but a little weak and doesn't last too long. Smells like what you would expect. If you like bay rum this is a good incarnation.

07th December, 2013

Amazingreen by Comme des Garçons

This fragrance is pleasant, but weak. It is exactly what it purports to be - a blend of green and gunpowder. I am familiar with the smell of gunpowder because of a previous avocation of reloading spent cartridges, both rifle and shotgun, and much shooting.

Because I associate that smell with pleasant memories, I like this scent very much! It is masculine and unusual.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have much lasting power to my nose. Weak. I will not be buying it.

One more comment - I did get very strong compliments from male friends.
    None from females.

18th September, 2012

Rubj Eau de Parfum by Vero Profumo

Absolutely magnificent. Smells like an orange grove in bloom! Robust and long-lasting. I wear it proudly as a man.

14th May, 2012

New York Amber by Bond No. 9

This stuff is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. LOVE IT LOVE LOVE IT. I first smelled it on a friend at church and was immediately struck by it. I KNEW I had to have some. It is POTENT and GORGEOUS, with huge longevity and sillage. It is on the sweet side. It is less amber-y than Ambre Sultan or Ambre Precieux, and I can smell the rose and the oud, well-balanced. I own 125 different colognes and have sampled over 400, and it is definitely in my top 5. GLAD TO OWN IT, and it's NOT CHEAP.

06th January, 2012

Acqua di Parma Colonia by Acqua di Parma

Smells great, but fragrance fades extremely rapidly. I don't get the cologne thing I guess. It's like a 10 minute high.

21st March, 2011 (Last Edited: 31st March, 2011)

Frangipanni Gloves by Ayala Moriel

Smells amazing, but doesn't last very long. Ayala works only with natural ingredients, which probably limits longevity. Beautiful fragrance! Ayala does nice custom work also.

15th January, 2011

Fetish by Neil Morris Fragrances

I have tried samples of several Neil Morris fragrances and I agree this one is best. It has strong sillage and good longevity. It smells like a combination of the listed notes; it is true to its description. Very pleasant, very earthy, very oriental. To my nose the myrrh, oud, and patchouli are strongest but blend in a nice accord.

27th April, 2010

Sunday Cologne / Fantastic Man by Byredo

Trying this for the first time today as a sample. Definitely a beautiful fragrance. My wife likes it much. She says it smells "cedary" with an opening strong note of citrus. Very appealing in the beginning. I sprayed liberally, but the tenacity is a bit weak on me. Hardly smellable now five hours later. Because of this, I won't be buying any.

04th November, 2009

Fumerie Turque by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

I have never disliked anything by Serge Lutens. Their scents generally seem original, strong, lasting, and classy. They tend to be spicy and oriental, which I prefer. This fragrance is no exception. I was introduced to SL with Amber Sultan, but I might like this one the best. Very sweet. Many compliments from women. This is the way I want to smell.

02nd October, 2009

Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido

Just purchased from aedes.com. Purchased un-smelled because of rave reviews. Does not disappoint -- many compliments already! Sweet, strong, distinctive, unique. Does not smell like hay to me. Excellent longevity, sillage. Consistent with high quality of Serge Lutens.

01st October, 2009