Reviews by nightcutter

Bentley for Men Azure by Bentley

This smells very similar to Jacques Bogart Silver Scent. It's likeable but nothing special.
27th July, 2014

Voyage by Nautica

This is a hybrid of Dunhill Fresh and Joop Nightflight. It also reminds me of YSL L'Homme Libre.

It smells nice but does not last long. I don't regret owning it but I think both Fresh and Nightflight have a bit more character individually than the combined effect I smell in Voyage. I can't see myself buying this again. For a clean aquatic-type fragrance I'd prefer to wear Cool Water, Silver Shadow Altitude or Bvlgari.

The overall vibe is crisp yet powdery which, I I think is at odds with its description as an aquatic. I don't pick out any fruity or apple notes. Will it get you compliments? Yes, all the girls where I work love it!
25th June, 2014

Silver Scent by Jacques Bogart

I finally bought this after much deliberating with myself as I own many scents already. It's very nice. On me it smells like raspberry and grape mixed with Nikos Sculpture. A nodd to Dunhill Desire Blue as well. I don't think the comparisons to 1 Million I've read are accurate. I think it probably smells more like Fuel For Life if anything. I am not getting any nuclear strength silage or longevity either but maybe that's olfactory fatigue.
I like it but I'm glad I only paid £12 for it. I own Sculpture and Fuel For Life and prefer both to this.
27th May, 2014

1881 Black by Cerruti

Reminds me of Nikos Sculpture mixed with almond/marzipan. Very nice. Pretty good projection and longevity.

Update. I bought a new bottle a few weeks after posting my above comment and am dismayed to find it has now been reformulated. The new juice lacks the almond note. It has gone completely. Its just a meh sweet powdery scent now. Horrific. Luckily the retailer allowed me to return it. I took a sniff at the 1881 original and sure enough that's been changed too - dilute and with less projection and staying power than previous. Sad.
10th May, 2014 (last edited: 04th June, 2014)

Classic Gold by Jaguar

Smells like Desire.

Smells just like Dunhill Desire (the red one). Desire has much better longevity and projection though.

05th October, 2013

With Love... Hilary Duff by Hilary Duff

Tried this the other day.

Nothing special at all.

Smells like Pi by Givenchy but with a slight hint of tropical fruit (the mango?).

Anyway longevity, silage and projection are all poor. This is a skin scent.

Not worth owning IMO but it isn't horrid
13th August, 2012

Blue Energy by Marks and Spencer

Smells like Lacoste Style In Play (aka Lacoste Red). Very strong. Projects well.

Style In Play isn't a favourite of mine but if you like it Blue Energy is a cheaper and near identical alternative.
12th August, 2012

Azzaro pour Homme Elixir by Azzaro

I've always liked Azzaro PH.

Elixir is a lighter verison with the pleasing additions of smooth tobacco, rose and cherry notes.

This is unmistakably Azzaro PH but with more subtlety.

I really like it. A prefect cold weather scent. I think I prefer it to PH!
24th July, 2012

L.12.12 Blanc / White by Lacoste

This is a pleasant fragrance with a nice clean, creamy and tropical smell.

Grapefruit, pineapple, white florals and vanilla shout out the most. It could be marketed as a unisex scent.

It's not a loud fragrance although it projects pretty good and stays on for about 4 hours - but in the summer heat it doesn't last too long on the skin. But it is pleasing to wear and I get compliments with it.

It is certainly the best of the 4 in this L.12 range. However it is overpriced and I only bought mine because it was in a 50% sale. As likeable as it is I wouldn't pay the full price for it.
02nd June, 2012

Nightflight by Joop!

This smells a lot like Azzaro Chrome.
It is virtually identical.
It's nice but nothing special.

^
Edit.
I have change my mind. After a few more wearings this is much better than Chrome. Opening note though does have the same fruity and aquatic metal vibe that becomes so vile with chrome. But thanfully with Nightflight it disappears quick.

I like this a lot now. It's a cousin to Cool Water in the sense that both CW and Nightflight are cool, sweet and powdery.

Nightflight actually reminds me much more of Alain Delon Pharos - a favourtie scent of mine that is now discontinued. So I am glad I have discovered Nightflight. Very glad in fact. Changed to 'thumbs up'!
09th April, 2012 (last edited: 24th July, 2012)

Cadillac by Cadillac

I can't speak for the EDT but I bought blind a 50ml bottle of the eau de parfum version (aka Cadiallac Lux) which has identical notes for only £5.

Immediatley reminds me of Joop Homme but not as offensive.

Dry down is quick and smellls like a soapy cinamon. So it reminds me very much of Diesel Zero Plus and Prada Amber Homme - both of which I like.

It is cheap and smells nice. It's not amazing though and as I already own and prefer Diesel ZP I needn't have bought it.
28th October, 2011

Aqua Quorum by Antonio Puig

To my nose this is a hybrid of Eternity and Polo Sport.
Top notes are like Polo Sport.
Dry down is like Eternity.

It seems to get compared to Cool Water and although I can see why I think Cool water (even in its current formulation) is better than E, PS and AQ.

Nothing wrong with AQ at all. But it isn't as good as CW (a permanent favourite of mine) so I give it a neutral.
28th October, 2011

Black Soul by Ted Lapidus

This shares the bubble gum and leather/suede notes that are in 1 Million.

But I think it is probably better. More refined. This is good.

And certainly not as loud as $1 mill!.
21st September, 2011 (last edited: 07th November, 2011)

In White by J del Pozo

Great fragrance.

A sharp but creamy vanilla with lovely florals.

Can easily be worn by a guy.

One of my favourites.

Rubbish.
18th February, 2011

Loud for Him by Tommy Hilfiger

Unpleasant.
Smells like Paul Smith Man 1 (opaque black bottle) and the new DKNY Men.
Very dry and astringent-like.
Unwearable IMO.
28th January, 2011

Lacoste Challenge by Lacoste

Astonishingly bad scent that smells of very sweet vanilla and lemon with the unusual addition of a beef stock cube.

Quite horrible.
26th January, 2011

Desire for a Man by Dunhill

My favourite scent ever is Plus Plus by Diesel.

Desire shares some characteristics with Plus Plus so it's inevtiable that I will like it as well.

It's an odd scent to describe.
As everybody points out it is sickeninlgy sweet and synthetic.
Smells which shout out to me are cherry, mint, teak, vanilla, rose, musk, lime and apple.

It has a note in it somewhere that, for want of a better word, makes the overall smell feel 'hot' (as in temperature). Odd I know.

It won't be everyone's cup of tea but I think it's great.
I wear it a lot.
It's potent too.
I'm not to keen on the bottle though.
25th January, 2011

X-Centric by Dunhill

I normally like Dunhill fragrances - a lot.

But this is rubbish.
It's VERY light.
All I smell is a weak rubbery note and maybe a bit of ozone.
Stays incredibly close to the skin.
Stupid bottle top as well.
Very disappointing.
24th January, 2011

Boss Pure by Hugo Boss

This is nice enough. Smells like Crave by Calvin Klein, but perhaps a bit more grown up.
A decent summer fragrance - a light orangey citrus aquatic but staying power is a problem.
22nd January, 2011

Boss Bottled Night by Hugo Boss

Ugh!!!

Initial blast is quite nice.

But the final smell some 30 minutes later is an awful synthetic green, just like Jaguar Performance.

Absolutely vile.
22nd January, 2011

Alessandro Dell'Acqua Man by Alessandro Dell'Acqua

I think this is really nice.

I've had a bottle for about 4 years now. I don't use it that often as I've other I prefer.
But Dell'Aqua is great for breezy summer evenings - when I where it most - and cool summer days

I'm not sure how to describe it. It makes me think of honey or 'gold' for some reason.

It's a warm variant of Cool Water with (to my nose anyway) rose.

My bottle is a tester and the spiel on the back says:

TOP-
Crystalline/citrus/marine
grapefruit
bergamot
lemon
mandarin
orange blossom
pineapple
sea breeze living (heh heh)
marigold egypt LMR

wood mysore
cashmere
wood
musk

The new Beckham Signature Story Men has a lot in common with this. But A'dell'A is better!
11th July, 2010

Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

I'm a sucker for any scent that has vanilla as a main component (which to my nose this does even if it's not listed) and sandalwood as well.

And Bottled has both.

Bottled is a nice autumn fragrance although it will work well in all but the hottest seasons. Also a safe fragrance for a formal-ish occasions, it's clean, manly and business-like.

The opening can be a little sweet in the top notes but the heart and dry down are very nice indeed. It has above average silage and longevity.

There seem to be quite a few fragrances along the lines of Bottled. I think Bottled itself is a 'copy' of Chanel Allure Homme.

Don't trust that the new Bottled Night will be good though. I've tried it and it's a nasty synthetic green on dry down, smelling just like Jaguar Performance.
04th July, 2010 (last edited: 22nd January, 2011)

Burberry the Beat for Men by Burberry

OMG.

This is awful.

A foul, over powering and head-ache inducing smell.

When I was 10 years old or so my parents took me to see a still-working, traditional woolen mill where you could buy bespoke rugs and carpets.

The Beat for Men smells like that mill.

A very heavy lemon and pine floor cleaner smell with overdoses of pencil lead, clove and pepper.

This is being geared towards the youth market I think. But what youth would want to smell like an old fashioned woolen mill?

This has excellent projection and longevity which is a bad thing considering it is so unpleasant. I tried my sample vial more than once but had to throw it away it was so offensive.

Roma Uomo by Laura Biagiotti

Lovely scent.

Vanilla, sandalwood and orange. Quite linear. A little bit feminine but that doesn't bother me.

Not a warm weather fragrance. Good for the autumn.

It's a favourite of mine but I don't wear it often.

Good longevity with pretty good projection. I get a fair few complements when I wear this - ladies especially seem to like it.

Visit by Azzaro

I'm a big fan og Gucci Pour Homme (I) so was keen to try this as GpH is sometimes a hrad find and many reviews say Visit resembles it to an extent.

But Visit is not a terribly nice scent IMO.

I get the same pencil shavings notes but in this instance the bulk of that note comes from a pencil lead smell rather than a nice woody smell.

I smell a lot of nutmeg, clove and bergamot in Visit. Whether they are listed or not that's what I smell.

Visit reminds me of the dreadful Burberry Beat and less dreadful Burberry Touch.

It's not a bad scent as such - I just don't like the notes that I smelt as being the most prominent.

Not even close to the fabulous GpH!

Diesel Plus Plus by Diesel

My favourite scent.

Plus Plus may be an in-your-face cacophony of synthetic vanilla, elderflower and a sweet creamy sandalwood but I love it. I think I might detect a bit of almond, lemon and musk in it too.

It resembles Desire (Red) by Dunhill. But Dunhill Desire Blue is almost identical to Plus Plus. Nikos Sculpture is similar as well as is the limited edition Lacoste Cool Play.

It's the noisy, teenage brother to the more mature and refined Boss Bottled.

Lasts a long time. People always tell me how nice it smells.

Love the milk churn-type bottle (or is it a bottle of pills?).

So sad it's been discontinued.
26th June, 2010 (last edited: 25th January, 2011)

Inverse - Kylie Minogue for Men by Kylie Minogue

Potentially nice scent ruined by zero longevity.

Can't say I notice the smell of condensed milk which it is claimed to have but there is a certain smoothness - maybe even creaminess to it.
Smells herbal, and menthol-like, reminds me of some sort of sore throat syrup. I think there is quite lot of clove in this.
As I said it could be good but there is no point in owning a bottle as it has one of the shortest shelf lives of any scent I've encountered.
26th June, 2010

Joop! Thrill Men by Joop!

Not an amazing scent but I do like it.
Reminds me of cherries, vanilla, almonds and sandal wood.
It stays close to the skin. It's not powerful.
It's a cool weather fall/autumn fragrance. Where this in warm months and you won't notice a thing.

Joop!'s best fragrance IMO is still What About Adam, unfortunately discontinued a long time ago. I liked Rococo men too but that has gone as well.

Joop!, get rid of Go! and bring back Adam please!

Canali Style by Canali

Unpleasant fragrance.
Smells like Pledge original furniture polish.