Reviews by runstile

El Attarine by Serge Lutens

I visited Paris in the spring and was set of bringing back a bell jar, and this was it. After going to the boutique twice, I ended up with this one.

The top starts off bright, and yes it does have some immprtelle/cumin in it, which gives it an edge. The heart is certainly honeyed, but not sickeningly so such as in Rahat Loukoum and not sweet as in Louve @Off-Scenter. The apricot dominates, and as far as I'm concerned, are just right in sweetness (in reality and in this composition). The drydown is composed of dusty woody notes that give a nice foundation.

I am very familiar with this line, and while this might be a brighter, woodier, stinky Daim Blond, I love it. I was looking for something distinctive and I got it. MKK seemed cuddly in comparison.
22nd September, 2011 (last edited: 26th June, 2014)

Etienne Aigner No. 2 by Etienne Aigner

A very smooth, powdery spicy scent. The citrus in the top fades nicely into this soft base that smells almost identical to Sisley's Ecological Compound (a face moisturizer). A classical scent.
09th February, 2009

Shalimar by Guerlain

I tested both the EDC and EDT. I wasn't too fond of the EDC, it was a little too powdery. However, the EDT on my wrist was amazing. At first, it was a little too feminine, it might have been the powdery iris heart, but once the base came through, it was amazing! The ambery dry down persisted 24 hours on my skin and was heavenly. I finally see what everyone is talking about.
02nd December, 2008

Dior Homme by Christian Dior

I bought this one after testing it on my wrist, not too blown away. I'm glad I decided to order some online, because this scent is fantastic. Yeah, it goes on a little powdery at first, similar to lipstick I guess, however, the other notes are refreshing and the development is silky smooth. The dry down is incredible, a soft, sweet, but earthy scent. I couldn't quit sniffing my wrist about 4 hours into it. Longevity and sillage are also very good. 5 stars!
11th October, 2008

Douce Amère by Serge Lutens

Initially its a blast of anise and some warm vanilla (I think). Afer a few minutes, the anise settles and takes a seat to the other accords. This juxtaposition of notes is quite enjoyable. I almost get a coconut note in the base, but I think its the blend of cinammon, vanilla, and anise. This is a great sweet scent for either gender.
11th October, 2008

Prada Amber pour Homme by Prada

This scent was probably my gateway to my fragrance addiction. I wore the hell out of it in the summer of 2005 and now it remains as a comforting, soft, warm and slightly luxurious scent for evening or cooler weather. It is a great comfort scent and the deluxe bottle with atomizer makes a great statement!
02nd October, 2008

Dzing! by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Heaven in a bottle. This is a buzzy, bubbly vanilla that mellows out and lasts forever (12 hours on me, although I always moisturize), has perfect sillage with 1 or 2 sprays, and garners compliments from everyone. I get a bit of leather and smokey odors, along with the vanilla/burnt sugar note, but words don't describe it. My new found staple.
29th September, 2008 (last edited: 28th June, 2009)

Premier Figuier by L'Artisan Parfumeur

Purplebird has it right with real and raw, however, I think this adds to its sensuality. My favorite go to for a sensual summer scent that is totally unisex. I love the richness it has along with the fresh green notes, a great contrast. Longevity is great for eau de toilette, I've smelled it the next morning. If you don't mind coconut and you're a fan of green scents, you'll probably like this one.
19th September, 2008

Kouros by Yves Saint Laurent

Tested this the other day at Perfumania, where the SA (who likes BLV Bulgari and other light scents) was repulsed. I don't care, she was also repulsed by Shalimar and many other great feminine scents. I happened to love this one. I won't bother listing the notes, but it is oddly fresh and spicy at the same time. I think it is the florals that keep me coming back, I love geranium. For some reason it conjures up vivid feelings of nostalgia; to me, this is the most important part of fragrance. I think I remember smelling it on my dentist? Not sure, but I will buy a bottle soon enough!
29th May, 2008

Bois du Portugal by Creed

There's something about this scent alright. At its first impression, it does remind me of my grandfather. However, this is the scent that all fakes were made to be. This is the original, natural, pure expression of dominant masculinity. The top notes of citrus and lavender are heavenly and addicting, while the base softens up and lasts almost like a Lutens, very un-Creed like in its longevity. I own two sample decants, and will have a bottle by next fall!
19th May, 2008

Lime, Basil & Mandarin by Jo Malone

A good scent, great for relaxing summer days/nights. Lasts great for a cologne. It does have a sourness to it, but I like it and I've gotten lots of compliments on it.
19th April, 2008 (last edited: 30th April, 2008)

Oxygène Homme by Lanvin

ugh. top notes ruined it for me, stinky, almost cumin like. Maybe its the coriander and juniper, I don't know for sure. Dry down was not bad tho, and lasted a while.
13th April, 2008

Wall Street by Bond No. 9

It has a great opening, bright and fresh with some richness. After a few hours, it fades into something not so complicated but smooth and present, with consistent, moderate sillage. It also has excellent longevity. Ladies love it, I've gotten tons of compliments, however it is still not my favorite scent.
27th December, 2007 (last edited: 15th July, 2008)

Erolfa by Creed

Lemon/Tangerine, salty ocean air, herbs. That is the initial blast of Erolfa, condensing itself into some woody notes along with the salt remaining later. This is my favorite daytime/summer fragrance, and lasts a good while (5-8 hours) on my skin with 2 sprays. The sillage is decent, but it is really a close-to-skin scent after the first few hours, only satisfying the wearer and whomever is lucky enough to get closer. I'm writing this review and smelling my wrist at the same time, and I still can't describe something about it. It is elusive (read Vibert) and this keeps me coming back to smell; it is truly addictive!
12th December, 2007 (last edited: 09th May, 2008)

Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens

Ambre Sultan blasts you away with the initial top notes;, spices, pepper, and some sourness (herbs). Then the drydown develops into warm vanilla and woods which lasts forever. The sillage is quite good too. I've had different reactions from people; some say it smells like playdogh, some vanilla, some just "warmth". Sadly, my partner hates it!. Oh well, I still adore it, it is a masterfully structured creation.
03rd December, 2007